Pakistan's ruling party losing support among flood victims

• Pakistan's ruling party losing support among flood victims 04 Sep 2010 05:46:29 GMT

Source: Reuters

• PPP losing support among flood victims

• Ruling party says no way to prepare for flood

By Chris Allbritton

MEHMOOD KOT, Pakistan, Sept 4 (Reuters) - A month after Pakistan's worst natural disaster, those most affected have lost almost everything they had. But the ruling political party is losing things too: It is losing the poor's vote.

In Mehmood Kot, 40 km (25 miles) east of Multan in southern Punjab, day labourer Mohammad Ramazan says he won't vote again for his representative in parliament because she has done nothing for his demolished village.

He said Hina Rabbani Khar, minister of state for finance and economic affairs, just drove through the village after the floods and didn't stop.

"I thought she would take care of us, but it did not happen," he said. "In the campaign, they promise a lot, but they do not take care of us."

The floods have deepened anger with the government of President Asif Ali Zardari, who also heads the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) which was already perceived as ineffective.

Khar, a PPP member of parliament, told Reuters she had been to the village three times since the floods ripped through Pakistan, forcing at least 6 million from their homes and killing more than 1,600 people.

"Tell me who is ready to deal with the disaster like this," Khar said. "We all saw what happened with Katrina in the United States. ... Here you are looking at a slow-moving disaster, literally inching foward, through the length of your country."

Her explanations don't matter much to Ramazan, who lost two children to diarrhoea in the past month. Rukhsana and Abdulhakim were just two years old and five months old.

"We've been shattered," he said. "At this point we have nothing. I have nothing to give to my children. Eid is coming, but I have nothing."

Read more:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SGE6820HV.htm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• "Pakistan's ruling party losing support among flood victims"

No surprise there. We (Pakistani's) would have to be really, really dumb to bring these a-holes in power again. But I am really convinced that this is the last ride for PPP.

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

I'm not sure if this 'not having popularity' among flood affected people is a reality.

'Perhaps' they are 'unpopular' among 'flood affected' people of Pakistan. Yet I don't believe they have lost any popularity among masses of Pakistan. Some woman from PPP won by-elections in some constituency of Pakistan, just yesterday.

Even if she was allowed to 'win' it on the basis of 'minority' votes, that tells us something about our people, how they conduct themselves, what choices/decisions they make, what actions they take.

• I hope so this will b da last breath of PPP in Pakistan Politics. No more space 4 this corrupt party politicians. I really believed and convinced dat Pakistani ppl get enough sufferings and deceives from this Political party. The party President Mr. "ten percent" who says "waday koi hadees nahi jo toray na jasakay" how could we believe dat he would fulfill promises OF Pakistan PPL. "SHAMLESS CREATURE ASIF ALI".

• sailaab mein ghareeb ka makan baha ..

ameer ka karobar baha ...

PPP ki iqtidaar baha ...