Largest ever arms deal~ $60 Billion

• Who is the phantom enemy? Own citizens may be? Those arms will definitely be used to kill their own as there is no other enemy in the horizon.

The United States may be on the verge of its largest arms sale ever, a package of aircraft and weapons systems for Saudi Arabia that could total $60 billion when the final bill is done, according to a report in Monday’s Wall Street Journal.

If completed, the deal could also generate more than 75,000 jobs, the Journal reported.

The Obama administration is expected to notify Congress of the planned sale this week, according to the Journal report. Production would take place over five to 10 years, the Journal said.

Key components of the sale would be Boeing F-15 fighter jets – as many as 84 new ones and the refurbishment of 70 others – and helicopters including 70 Apaches, 72 Black Hawks and three dozen Little Birds.

Discussions are also under way over naval and missile defense systems for the Saudis, the Journal reported.

• AR-

The Saudis are pawns of the US and they pay for that " honor".

All this hardware is being sold after a lesson learned during the first Iraq war when the US could not go after Iraq because they did not have the hardware there to be used.

So they have figured out a solution.

The Saudis will buy the arms and they will be stored in Saudi Arabia- to be used by the US when it needs to in an emergency situation. The Kuwaitis and the Qataris are part of the same game.

Since the Saudi also have most of their stolen money invested in the USA- they must support their economy- what better than to spend billions to shore up your stocks and shares in America.

Who is the phantom enemy- well anyone at any time- but for now Iran.

• ST, Agreed. Iranian card is very well played by US war criminals be it Saddam be it Saudis be it other Gulf countries. This arms deal will lead to arms race in the region with Gulf clowns clamoring for the same gadgets. It is akin to a child in a toy store pestering his parents for more and more toys. And the toy salesman-Uncle Sam is the ultimate winner both the whole sale deal as well as billions of spares part deal.

This was the same story in 1980's with British Tornado fighters worth 7 Billion pounds (not dollars)to the Saudis. One retd. Pakistan Airforce Wing Commander Muazzam Ali had written about that deal and its long term benefits to British economy. He wrote that article in Impact magazine from UK which has since been banned. The British company-British Aerospace was almost bankcrupt and then came back into market with strong showing after that deal. Can we do something tangible to stop these merchants of death?

• AR-

Hope and pray that the Saudis will somehow become honest Muslims- which is unlikely.

• Are there some honest Muslims in any part of the world?

(As a country or nation)

الله سے ڈرو - کیا حال ہے ہم پاکستانیوں کا

• and the funny thing is that all that technology or hardware is not going to be handed over to saudis- plus i don't think they have any choice but to pay for this or else they will be whipped with human rights lashes-

• @Salam

"plus i don't think they have any choice but to pay for this or else they will be whipped with human rights lashes"

Agreed. This is one way they bhata (and launder money overseas). And I am sure some prince is going to make billions on the deal as well.

(Remember that BEA deal from a few years back alone was worth £43bn and included 72 Eurofighter Typhoon jets. This one is for 84 new F-15 fighter jets and the refurbishment of 70 others – and helicopters including 70 Apaches, 72 Black Hawks and three dozen Little Birds. That's a whole lot of planes to be sitting chocking on sand in the desert)

• nota

How do u become an arm dealer?

• become a general in pakistan army :)

• @Salam

"become a general in pakistan army :)"

Always looking for the easy way, eh? :-P

• nota-

a major or colonel will be adequate also.

• salam-

In Saudi Arabia - only the members of the so- called royal family can be the arms dealers or commission agents . no one else need apply.

And the commission is usually 15 %.

Zaradri is salivating !

• Since the Saudis have turned out to be the worst fighting men in the entire Muslim world (remember their thrashing in Yemen not so long ago?), a few "Little Birds" piloted by Paki pilots might come in quite handy. To do what exactly, I can't quite tell yet. But well there you are. If anything of the hardware ever reaches Saudi soil, good training in prospect for our own pilots.

When I first saw the title of this thread, my heart almost stopped beating. I thought Pakistan was meant. Well, if it's only the Saudis and their ill-gotten gains... Who on earth cares? God has other plans for them, I imagine.

• I worked on Saudi Airbases and know the morale and corruption and intriques.

The King Abdul Aziz Airbase near Dhahran is located next to a sprawling city, University, International Airport, and other public facilities. A master plan was laid out and recommendations came from highly qualified professionals hired from around the world to relocate the Airbase to a location away from the congested infrastructure. It was also pointed out that nowhere in the world you build Airbases next to populated centers. The prince who happened to be the "commander" of the Airbase went berserk and asked that such recommendations were unwarranted and blasted the consultants, who obliged by omitting the crucial recommendations. Apparently billions of dollars of contracts were in full swing given mostly to European and American corporations and local "joint ventures" to upgrade the Airbase. Saudis race to grab such contracts that usually stipulate 30% work for locals. They never bother about the long term security of their country, its environment and disastous effects and other factors but are just scalp hunters out to make fast buck.

When some concerned professionals asked the Saudi head of consultancy about this intereference from the "prince" on a well documented report with solid recommendations, the reply was "Count your salary and get the heck out of here and never question the wisdom of a prince". One of the consultants later told me secretly "What are we doing here as professionals in such a atmosphere of corruption and unprofessional behavior". One of then who happened to be a Muslim asked me "Is this halal income we are earning by working in such a environment?".

• This post is deleted!

• @abdulrahman,

Yaar, at least the Saudi's look out for their own people by ensuring that a foreign contractor employs not less than 30% of workforce consisting of locals.

• AR, thank you for that glimpse into the "never question the wisdom of a prince" spirit prevalent in the homeland of the Prophet (PBUH). I repeat what I said above: If I'm not too mistaken, God has other plans for them.

• MG, Sorry. There was one error in my post. The study was meant to do a Master Plan and not for relocation of Airbase as such. The relocation was later recommended during the Master plan study.

• No problem, AR, thanks for rectification.

• I will call the BIGGEST waster of money cause If Iran were their in their place then they probably BOUGHT Something to start their SPACE AGENCY from that much Money but since we got Money in the Hands of bunch of DUMBEST Muslims in the World then no surprise....

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.