Intellectual disability !

• Living in this world of ours where laws, regulations, religious edicts, social norms are designed for the lowest common denominator- being intelligent and thougtful is a disability for which there is no remedy.

There are those that feel that religion provides solace and comfort and that belief in God and his Prophet is all that is needed .

But is that really true in life for the creative mind driven by the desire towards perfection of his labour.

As human beings we have to eat, drink water, take care of our biological needs( like all other animals) but do we have to think?

And do we have to think in abstract terms ?

And is that permitted in an Islamic dispensation?

I raise these questions because at one time or another what mental energy drives creative people also makes them feel out of place like a disabled person without a wheel chair.

The canned solutions provided or offered by people of a more practical bent of mind do not help.

• shimatoree, you're not feeling too well, are you? But this is one of the most moving pieces you've written in recent days. Look, shimatoree, philosophy is not everyone's cup of tea. Using one's head neither. A thinker is always looked upon with the gravest suspician, and see what happened to a Socrates or others I'll refrain from mentioning. Ok, see what happened to our Giordano Bruno and others like him.

Follow the herd is the best recipe for an easy life. If one nonetheless insists on thinking out one's thoughts and, on top of it all, making them public, expect no less than opprobrium from all and sundry. The Islamic dispensation is just one case in point. Take any part of the world: original thinking will be frowned upon. You must repeat what the majority puts forward at any given time. Otherwise a job loss occurs, doors shut in your face, etc., etc. the modern version of being burnt at the stake.

So get used to being that disabled person without a wheelchair, shimatoree. Any wise person knows one thinks not because one will be able to gain anything by it, but simply because one cannot do otherwise. Creativity, to use your word, is as much a necessity for a thinker's survival as is breathing and basic nourishment. Just as a born writer writes whether he or she finds success and readers or never does.

• Mg-

your quote

" person knows one thinks not because one will be able to gain anything by it, but simply because one cannot do otherwise. "

is probably as close to truth that I have come across.

Thank you Sir, very much indeed.

• Thank you, shimatoree, thank you. And now just carry on. And never mind those who carp and cavil and raise objections for the sake of raising objections. We are fully behind you.

• being intelligent and thoughtful is not a disability, it is a gift and a curse :)

• Salam-

a curse is probably equally correct description.

The big problem one faces is that one is aware of too many things which do not seem to register with " normal;" people.

Hence one finds ones self in constant need to explain one's self and one's actions.

Awareness is another such problem where one may be able to sense or see things that subtle for others.

When a child is born with those faculties and his parents and / siblings are not upto that level- it leads to a type of loneliness which can become a life long issue that is in need of constant adjustment to one's environment.

• When a child is born with those faculties and his parents and / siblings are not upto that level- it leads to a type of loneliness which can become a life long issue that is in need of constant adjustment to one's environment.

It is very unlikely that a gifted child is born without having at least one of his/her parents gifted (just against my observation). Also a gifted child somehow is able to manage and adopt (pretty much).

• shimatoree

i see what you mean, and understand quite well after hint from mirza ghalib who has remarkable ability of seeing through the words-

carry on.. plz

• @shimatoree

"lowest common denominator"

aka "tyranny of masses" :)

"but do we have to think?"

Indeed MG answered that one ("not because one will be able to gain anything by it, but simply because one cannot do otherwise") though I would change it thus:

"not only one will not be able to gain anything by it, one can be certain one will lose a lot becuse of it. Yet one cannot help but do otherwise".

@Salam added rightly: "it is a gift and a curse"

Certainly a gift that ends up working like a curse thanks to living in a socity where 'tyranny of masses' rules. ("Kash kay hum bhi bholay hotay", a friend used to lament.)

But say you were given a choice -- blue-pill/red-pill sort of way (Do you the blue pill, where "the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe", or to take the red pill, where "you stay in Wonderland" and are shown "how deep the rabbit hole goes") -- which one would you take, despite knowing the "curse" of the red one? I think you know the answer. It too is a "limitation" that comes with the "disease"...

(I will add though that you can take the blue pill at any time. I have seen many a once-decent people do it (actually that covers most of the people I know). But once you do, there is no more taking the red pill, for then you become part of the "matrix", getting more and more tangled in the web every passing day...)

• @Shimatoree ,

i have to read your post twice , before responding to it .

i guess , you are mixing two things .

set of beliefs ( likes dislikes ,Dos & Don'ts, Cans and Cants )are the code of conduct a person definitely needs to follow .and its not even related to religion only .u can see an atheist also following some given set of rules ...whatsoever .

and in my view , this set of beliefs is definitely needed .

badly needed and has a place in our hearts and minds .

nobody can deny that .

May i say ;these rules makes us a Human Being indeed .

as long as creative thoughts and minds are concerned .

these ethics are not stopping any mind to get creative .

i ,myself as a creative person in an ad agency , developing ad campaigns for soaps , cooking oils , banks , insurance companies and automotive ; can say this , with full confidence that no creative thought get blocked in my mind , because of my beliefs .

these are two separate things .

see all the Muslim scientists were believers , but they were Creative , in their respective fields .

Jabbir Bin Hayan , Ibn e Hisham , Al Khwarizmi (the Algebra inventor) and so on so forth .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_scientists

we believe , they use to follow a code of conduct .

but that code never hurdled in the creative thinking of these great intellectuals .

maybe , now as a nation , we have became , so intellectually corrupt and useless , that we always tries to find excuses in such lame arguments such as above .

• Good Lord, I am impressed - and humbled. We are not just blogging here. It's a true discussion on a very fundamental matter, the loneliness of those who go their own intellectual way and the dangers they might incur.

Friends, you tell me. If Pakistan has people who think at such a high level, a minority though they may be, how can we go wrong in days to come? Thank you to all of you for giving me back hope for my country and humanity in general.

• @Mirza Ghalib ,

thanks a lot ...mine was just scattered thought .

but i can see gems here , who are well composed in their thoughts and i can see great intellectuals out here at this forum.

and while reading the posts from these gems , i always thinks :

Allah abhi Pakistan se Mayus nahi howa hay .

• beenai

you are a simple and gentle lady :)

i enjoyed your post above that segregates work from belief in a way that assures that belief is not really pulling us back from progress, creativity, innovation or development-

• IK usually refers to..without deen, a person is like intellectual animal. maybe a social animal as well..batain chand per janay ki aur aur zindagi 60/70 saal ki.

wherever we are going but indeed we are heading towards our graves.

• It’s a gift and a curse same as oil for Arab world. If you know how to use it, its gift otherwise curse :)

• @beenai

"i ,myself as a creative person in an ad agency , developing ad campaigns for soaps , cooking oils , banks , insurance companies and automotive ; can say this , with full confidence that no creative thought get blocked in my mind , because of my beliefs."

No argument with "no creative thought get blocked in my mind, because of my beliefs", nor should they BUT...

_

No offence but can you do your job ("developing ad campaigns for soaps, cooking oils, banks, insurance companies and automotive") if you applied your beliefs to your particular job? Here I am thinking of advertising in a particular way, of course:_

_

Advertising degrades the people it appeals to; it deprives them of their will to choose. -- Carrie P. Snow

Advertising has done more to cause the social unrest of the 20th century than any other single factor. -- Clare Boothe Luce

Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Advertising is legalized lying. -- H. G. Wells

Advertising is the 'wonder' in Wonder Bread. -- Jef I. Richards

Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need. -- Will Rogers

_

• A food for thought

"The word logic comes from the Greek word ‘λογική’, and in philosophy, it concerns study of the principles of valid inference and sound reasoning. Logic is very important because its use allows us to effectively present and refute an argument. Now in the context of arguing that submission to God is the way forward, I used the following:

1. Submission to a higher being is more rational than submission to a human being

2. Islam requires humans to submit to a higher being

3. Therefore Islam is more rational

I pointed out that the above is almost irrefutable. The only way to respond to the argument is by dealing with some of the presuppositions. In this case the presuppositions are,

1. A higher being (i.e. God) exists

2. This higher being requires us to submit to it

I continued by saying that we would have to shift the debate to the existence of God and the miracle of the Qur’an, because if it can be proven that God does exist and that the Qur’an is a miracle, in other words, it has come from God, then the humanist should also submit (since the Qur'an tells us to submit to God). However the chair, Dr Mark Vernon, interrupted and reminded me it was not the topic of the debate.

I agreed, but it left me thinking that we Muslims do not have to answer all the questions anymore, such as “Why do you not eat pork?”, “Why do you fast?”, “Why do you pray five times a day?” All that we have to do is just tell people ‘because God said so’ and if people frown or suggest that we are crazy, then we should tell them about submission. Because it’s more rational to submit.

If they question us further and scratch the intellectual surface by highlighting our presuppositions, in other words our belief that God exists and that the Qur’an is a miracle, then all we have to do is show them."

• well said revivalist, but unfortunately our vision, knowledge and intelligence gets chocked at these basics-

we like to go into abstracts, create abstract objects/theories and play around with them, any time some one brings us down to reality we refuse to come 'down' :)

• @nota ,

yes , you are deviating from the topic .

but i have to answer you first , before we move back to the actual and very healthy discussion .

Advertising is my profession ....

i get paid by my employer; for my ideas , my concepts , my wordings and my thoughts .

and i do my work with utmost honesty (which is a norm , rule and law in the daily business from religious code of conduct we all follow)

as an advertising professional , i have observed that if the quality of product is not good , then it wont make its way i n the market ,no matter , how good the ad campaign may be.

• Good, strong reply, Beenai. No compromise with one's fundamental code of conduct and one does the job one has been called to do with the utmost honesty. I'm with you all the way there.