Are you priviliged............................?

• http://www.thenews.com.pk/21-09-2010/islamabad/5803.htm

Like other children of Pakistan, eight-year-old Arshad Khan loves to play and watch cricket. However he neither has time to play nor a television set at home to enjoy live cricket. The reason behind it is that he belongs to poor class and shoulders the responsibility of earning bread and butter for his family.

He sells shopping bags near the shrine of Hazrat Barri Imam in Nurpur Shahan on the outskirts of Islamabad. He is a student of grade 2, but he has to work after school due to weak financial position of his family.

Arshad Khan told this news agency that he hails from Mardan and "currently living in Islamabad" in a house along with his family. He said that they are five brothers and two sisters and he is at number 4 among his siblings. My father is a labourer who works on daily wages. It is not possible for him to manage all expenses of the family so "I have to work after school to earn some money for my family"

I hardly make "one hundred rupees per day". I hand over all money to my mother in the evening. He said that he is not forced by anyone to work, but he is working willingly for the sake of his family.

I am quite fond of playing cricket, but I cannot do so because of lack of time. He said that his favourite player is Shahid Afridi and he loves to watch his big sixes, but as he has no television set at home he can’t watch his favourite player in action. I try to watch Shahid Afridi’s batting at roadside hotels but waiters don’t allow me to sit there, he said with dejection writ large on his face.

I have an off-day every week on which I have to complete my school work in order to keep a balance between studies and work. When he was asked about his future plans, he said that he wants to become a "DOCTOR". I want to mitigate miseries of my family and for that I am working hard. One day, I will be a renowned doctor and "my parents will feel proud of me,” he said with a "TWINKLE OF HOPE IN HIS EYES".

YES WE ARE PRIVILIGED.......we sit in front of the TV sets and computer screens (like me) and blog most days......

• But do we do anything in practice?

• Do we have a hope (if you say yes than read some of your past comments and think again)?

• Do we work for our family/nation?

If 8 year Arshad Khan can do all this for his family what can we do to change the fate of our family and nation (other than criticising everything and everyone else)?

• @1lhr

Thanks for a thread topic worthy of discussion and hopefully concluding with solutions.

• @semirza

lets see how many of us get "time" to discuss this (non-political) topic though!

• Sorry, just saw this thread after my own heart now. But better late than never, as one says. Firstly, yes to your question. Definitely, I am among the priviledged. Have always been, an accident of birth, no merit of mine. But, unlike some others, I have never accepted poverty as a fact of life throughout the years of my existence.

What can we do to help out? First and foremost: treat our underdogs like real human beings. Then share: money, experience, whatever. Learn from them as we go along. They guide us as much as we might guide them. If we think illiteracy is our worst problem, if every well to do Pakistani and there are so many ensured the education of just one child's schooling from kindergarten to matric, our illiteracy problem would be solved without having any recourse to anyone at all. BTW: This is not charity at work, this is our duty as believers, if we are that.

For our nation, first and foremost something extremely prevalent on Pakistani blogs: no more Pak-bashing. Belief and hope in the future of Pakistan, in spite of its multiple tribulations today. And never lending oneself in any form or shape to anything approaching the various forms of corruption to be found round the country. It may make life easier for one. It is strictly to be avoided. Honesty has to begin with us ourselves before a trickle can become a stream.

For our family, never let them sink into their usual indifference-whinging mode. Keep on reminding them that Pakistan stands in the same relationship to us as our mother and father. It gave birth to us, fed us and brought us up to be educated, self-supporting members of this world. And what have we given back our wounded country: nothing but callousness, negligence and contempt.

Of all the things I mentioned above, 1lhr, the last bit is probably the hardest to achieve. One's family and friends pay no heed to what one has to say or then only lip service to quieten us down.

• Quote-

“Pakistan stands in the same relationship to us as our mother and father.

A hint of “ mother” India !

“It gave birth to us, fed us and brought us up to be educated, self-supporting members of this world.”

The protectors of Religion are coming after you !

“One's family and friends pay no heed to what one has to say or then only lip service to quieten us down.”

Honesty is painful at all times.- Is honesty calling an unjust abuser a decent man ?

“ ( Honesty has to begin with us ourselves before a trickle can become a stream.)

When will it begin ?

“Then share: money, experience, whatever. Learn from them as we go along. They guide us as much as we might guide them. If we think illiteracy is our worst problem, if every well to do Pakistani and there are so many ensured the education of just one child's schooling from kindergarten to matric, our illiteracy problem would be solved without having any recourse to anyone at all. BTW: This is not charity at work, this is our duty as believers, if we are that. “

Are you becoming a communist ?

There is no precedent for that in Islamic History. We want to keep them poor so we can have someone to give Zakat to.

And God will provide- who are we.

So why should we go against that!

Oh sorry that is BLASPHEMY. I better go and hide because the religious thought police is coming.

• @MG

all the points that you raised are valid and not hard to achieve including the last one....considering we are talking about Pakistanies as a nation who are exceptional and can do the undoables when they put their minds to it

however few things that you have mentioned stand out and i reproduce them below

• This is not charity at work, this is our duty as believers

• Honesty has to begin with us ourselves

• Pakistan stands in the same relationship to us as our mother and father

so the message i get is that to change our fate we need to start with "ourselves" first (and not just expecting it from our leaders) and have HOPE that our fate will change..... and if Arshad Khan can have hope of becoming a doctor one day while selling plastic bags at age of 8 and earning Rs100 then we can have hope too to change our fate without relying on anyone else

@shimatoree

you have given me Hope as well with some positive comments in your message and i repeat

• And God will provide - who are we

• Honesty is painful at times

• Hi shaimatoree, no need to run and hide. Why should you? Sticks and stones might break your bones, but hard words won't. You as a surgeon should know that.

How come putting a child through school can be assimilated with modern communism a rough definition of which would be no private ownership of the means of production of a country? That wasn't quite worthy of you, shimatoree. About our desire to have the poor always amongst us, what reply should be made to that? Perhaps you're right there, though not quite for the reasons you state. Others might answer you better on the point. Thoungh I wish the banner of blasphemy were put aside and one approached matters unemotionally and in a spirit of friendly enquiry.

That said, I'm glad I can add something I'd forgetten in the former post, namely another thing we can do for our country is support the fund victims for as long as it may take. Though a true Marxist would shudder away from the very thought. Well, in my case at least, the head says one thing, the heart pleads for something quite different. And as is usual, the latter always wins out.

Shimatoree, cynicism or Diogenes tactics can only take one so far and no further. Bear that in mind as well. And tact never harmed anyone and could even lead to better results than unrestrained outspokenness.

• 1lhr - Thanks for your reply. Sure, we ourselves are to blame, we ourselves must undo the damage. If we get leaders who miraculously turn out to be just that, leaders, our burden growns lighter. Until then, it's just up to us and to no one else. Sitting there just screaming how bad our leaders are and has never got a country out of its morass of deceit, deception and depression.

N.B. We could also actively support the revolution if and when it comes.

• The solution to the problem of poverty is NOT

by providing Charity to children in installments when some sort of crisis comes around.

The solution to the problem of poverty is simple. Stop the thieves from stealing.

And distribute the riches of the nation in a just and equitable manner to everyone.

If you do not do that- you are merely indulging in semantics and feel good stuff

And I would like to make one point very clear .

I do not use tactics.

I speak my mind and I do have a good mind.

If I answer your comments- consider that I am reading your comments and what you have to say.

That means I respect your views.

When I do not comment that means that I do not read the comments made.

Oh and TACT. Is'nt that a polite form of dishonesty ?

• Come on, shimatoree, no way is tact any form of dishonesty. It is a form of expression, not a betrayal of one's principles.

I quite agree that charity in installments is not the answer to the problem of poverty. That is a misreading of what I was trying to say. And offered as a citizen solution to the problem of illiteracy only.

Quite agree, too, that we must absolutely stop the thieves from continued stealing and all that follows on the heels of it. But the question is how do we manage that? One thing we can manage as individuals, the other can only be a collective effort or then come from within the present powers that be whom we don't trust in any case to ever do the right thing. When we talk revolution, you tend to make fun of us as well. Now, then, shimatoree, what is one to do exactly? Have you any idea?

shimatoree, has anyone ever questioned the soundness or the profundity of your mind? Not me. Or have I ever shown you any disrespect? I don't think so. I have taxed you with impatience occasionally, but that should not be construed as disrespect. Me, too, I always read your threads and comments, not to worry. And shall continue doing so.

• MG

The solution is always for those " without" stockings-( French Revolution) to TAKE what is theirs. As much of an optimist I am -( and I am that) I do not see a revolution in Pakistan in the short term.

If the poor had gone and attacked the palace of Khursheed Shah and killed him- then maybe yes.

But that has not happened. Nothing like that has taken place.

I have a military mind and let me tell you- the opportunities are rampant and there for everyone to see and exploit. They are not doing it why?

Their eyes are closed. They lack courage.

Well their houses are gone. Their families are destitute.

What are they waiting for.

Oh yes they are waiting for a Fatwa from a Mullah having forgotten that the Mullahs have always been in the pockets of the rich for the last 1400 years.

So I do not see a revolution coming soon.

You recall I wrote a thread called LIARS!

Did you ever think as to why I put up that thread ?

Sarcasm and cynicism is a condition of intelligence and a back handed way to make a point.

I do not make sarcastic comments in response to idiots masquerading as religious zealots!

I make sarcastic comments in response to you and some others that are capable of functioning at higher intellectual levels.

So you should consider a sarcastic comment from me like a first class morsel of Pulao or as the Americans say PRIME Beef Stake ! For you that is.

• shimatoree, rewarding reading from you as ever. Believe me, I personally don't in the least mind your sarcasm. Nothing against cynicism either. It is certainly not the enemy of idealism. Only another facet of it. I have come to know you better than you might think. I remember your LIARS thread, sure. And much of what you said there and later are absolutely close to the truth. No two ways about it.

The point about the Rev though is our people are in a state of shock. And so would we be if we'd been in their situation. I'm all for giving them a bit of time. A revolutionary infrastructure has not been put in place in our land. We'll have to improvise as we go along. And we are at war with a very ruthless enemy we understand only halfway. Why does everyone seem to forget that?

I plead time, you plead urgency. That's where our ways part somewhat, let's say. But you're still our guest of honour on the day of the great fry up.

BTW: Somewhere you complained no one had ever done anything about the FATA drone attacks. If you meant our non-governance, then spot on. But I remember our very first meeting was over drone attacks and you made fun of the very notion I was putting forward. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, shimatoree. I thought if we started off with a petition, followed it up by marching to Islamabad, etc., we might put the fear of God into someone who'd up and do something at long last. You dismissed that as daydreaming. Revs come out of dreams of justice and equality. I still think it is coming to Pakistan sooner than one imagines.

• MG

" I thought if we started off with a petition, followed it up by marching to Islamabad, etc., we might put the fear of God into someone who'd up and do something at long last. You dismissed that as daydreaming. Revs come out of dreams of justice and equality. I still think it is coming to Pakistan sooner than one imagines. "

I stand corrected and I admit I am in a haste but that is the condition all who get old. They get in a hurry and want to complete unfinished tasks.

That is why I will say that when the Holy Prophet got ill, before he died- he did not think that it was the end--if he had then he would have finished all the loose ends and that would have been much better for the Muslims.

That raises the question -

Did God want things to go the way they did ?

Perhaps that is also a sensitive and delicate question that I should not raise so I might NOT hurt others sensibilities !

• shimatoree you make a very good point above. But as Hazrat Ali, always a very honest person, once said when asked about destiny:

"It is a dark path, do not tread upon it; it is a deep ocean, do not dive into it; it is rhe secret of Allah, do not trouble yourselves about knowing it."

Saying 287, Nahjul Balagha, p. 628.

Arm yourself with patience, shimatoree, Allah Almighty will not let you down. I sincerely believe He'll let you see a dream of a lifetime come true.

• @Shimatoree

_If the poor had gone and attacked the palace of Khursheed Shah and killed him- then maybe yes.

But that has not happened. Nothing like that has taken place._

_I have a military mind and let me tell you- the opportunities are

rampant and there for everyone to see and exploit. They are not doing it

why?

Their eyes are closed. They lack courage._

_Well their houses are gone. Their families are destitute.

What are they waiting for."_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUpxeusdpXo

:-)

• think about the implications of the below sentence, mr. nota you failed to catch this one... seems he got your teeth removed :)

<div>

<span class="""">That is why I will say that when the Holy Prophet got ill, before he died- he did not think that it was the end--if he had then he would have finished all the loose ends and that would have been much better for the Muslims.</span>

</div>

<div><span class=""""></span></div>

<div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#555555" face="Verdana, 'BitStream vera Sans', Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3"><span class="""">now he puts question to Allah swt, why you made mistake by taking away life 'early' from your messenger, you should have let him finish his work??</span></font></div>