Army Stealing Billions From Civilian Budget

• Military pension bill Rs72 bn, civilian Rs18 bn, PAC told
    ISLAMABAD: The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Tuesday stopped short of urging Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to treat the military pension budget as part of the overall defence budget after Secretary Finance Salman Siddique revealed that three million retired armed forces personnel were getting Rs 72 billion annual pension under civilian head as against only Rs 18 billion for 0.5 million retired civilian employees.

The Auditor General informed the PAC that the pension bill for the retired armed forces personnel had risen from Rs 26 billion in 2001 to a staggering Rs 72 billion in 2010. MNA Khawaja Mohammad Asif tried his best to convince his fellow PAC members to recommend to the government to treat Rs 72 billion military pension budget as part of the defence budget (military pension bill was separated on orders of General Pervez Musharraf in 2001 to show decline in defence spending). But Ms Yasmin Rehman, who was presiding over the meeting in the absence of PAC Chairman Ch Nisar Ali Khan, did not agree, saying it would be appropriate to first consult Ch Nisar Ali Khan before taking a decision.

But Khawaja Asif kept on insisting that the PAC should recommend to the government that it should include the pension budget of the armed forces in the main defence budget, saying the people should know how much the military was getting in the name of defence budget. ...

• Another $5.5 Billion "cover-up"
    ISLAMABAD: Eyebrows were raised on Tuesday when finance officials informed the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the National Assembly about an unaccounted-for, one-time release of Rs5.55 billion to Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) during 2007-08 for its operations.

When pressed for details, Finance Secretary Salman Siddique opted to keep quiet. “This is highly sensitive information and hence I can’t talk about it at an open forum.”

According to information provided by the finance division to the PAC, the amount was paid to the ISI as a supplementary grant.

Despite repeated questions and light-hearted taunts by members of the committee, Mr Siddique refused to share any details.

Details provided to media-persons simply described the amount as “provision for relief during the financial year 2007-2008”. The only thing the secretary was willing to concede was that the head was a cover-up.

Khwaja Asif of the PML-N asked: “How long shall we keep on fooling ourselves?” ...

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

When are we the civilians going to come together to shove our own Army back where it belongs ?

We need to tell our Army that we are in command. They are not. They are our! servants. If they don't like it, they can GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR ARMY!!.

• Bhutto tried and hanged, Can you find another ?
    There are only touts,agents and slaves left.

• I understand when politicians and anchors show reluctance to speak up against Army. Not only their jobs but in some cases their lives can be harmed, Omer Cheema is latest example. Pakistan is banana republic and GHQ is the biggest mafia. But I am baffled when educated bloggers here praise Army.

<div>I was hoping after nuclear capability we may see some cuts in defense spending but it looks like things have gotten worse. After nuclear blasts Generals in GHQ started Kargil when politicians were trying to establish peaceful relations with India. When politicians challenged that wisdom they were jailed and exiled. </div>

<div>Three years is most Generals can stand civilian PM. None of our civilian PM (Junejo, BB, Nawaz Sharif, Jimali and now Gillani) could complete 3rd year. Interestingly they all were dismissed on one charge - corruption. </div>

<div>No one dares to challenge these Generals or I should say notorious gang leaders of this mafia group "Military Inc." </div>

• I think there is competition going around between Army and our Zardari & Co...

May be thats why u r getting news about Martial Law and Inqelab

• Amazing....
    The government is telling us because of floods, they have to cut the development budget by Rs73 Billion.

YET they find enough money to INCREASE the defense budget by Rs 120 Billion and that too to KILL people (increase "had been made for a major military operation in the tribal areas")

And finance ministry is pretending  not to know:

"senior officials in the finance ministry expressed ignorance about the

increase and one of them said it must have been a typographical error"

Typographical error my @ss...

• @nota

<div>Not just development budget cuts university fundings are slashed to half. We are on right path leading into 21st century, closing schools to divert funds to bombs and guns. Commanders think alike be it Taliban warlords or Generals from GHQ.</div>

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.