Talk of 'revolution' in Pakistan

• <span>

</span>

<div class="photoCaptionDiv"><span class="photoCaptionSpan">Photo by GALLO/GETTY</span></div>

<div><span class="print-link"></span>

For the past week in Pakistan, there has been rising speculation that the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) government is on its way out.

Some staunch supporters of the establishment have made no secret of their opinions, saying the party is finished.

Whether or not that is indeed the case, there is plenty of political manoeuvring making headline news in anticipation of change.

Old enemies are now cosying up to each other and coalition partners suddenly have differing interests. There is even news that the PPP is mulling over plans to ditch its political ally, the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM).

Recently Altaf Hussain, the founder and leader of the MQM, gave a passionate speech over the phone from London in which he spoke about a revolution; thanks to his epicurean tastes he chose none other than the French revolution.

At the same time, Asif Ali Zardari, the president of Pakistan, spoke about the need to thwart the prospects of Bonapartism, as he described it, and obviously the antithesis to what Hussain was saying.

As one cynic put it "I am sure it must have boosted the sales of books or easy guides on the French revolution, as more-loyal-than-thou politicians and minions polished up on the French revolution".

All said and done, it must have made many senior female politicians lose sleep over the dreaded nightmare that they may become the Maria Antoinettes of Pakistan. The people, it is said, have already lost their heads.

Betrayed trust

So what is it going to be: a French, Bolshevik or Iranian revolution that is to come knocking on Pakistan’s doo? The word revolution is now resounding inside the plush drawing rooms of Pakistan's leafy capital, but very few people can visualise the cost in blood of any such event.

Old Pakistan experts, however, brush aside the notion of replicating any such similar revolution, saying this is not Iran, France or Russia and that what they anticipate is a Taliban revolution that could sweep aside once and for all the rotting political system that has time and again disappointed the people of Pakistan.

No one knows if there will be a revolution or not, but in the event of it happening one thing is quite clear - this will be branded a revolution with a local and indigenous Pakistani seal. And it will carry with it a major backlash against opulent and corrupt rulers who have for decades betrayed the trust of these proud people

</div>

<!-- /.block --><!-- /.region --><!-- /.section, /#header -->

<div>

<div class="clearfix">

<div class="column">

<div class="section">

<H1 class=title>

<div>

<div>

<div class="node-inner">

<div>http://blogs.aljazeera.net/2010/09/23/who-will-storm</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

• A revolution is inevitable. However, it is difficult to predict what style of revolution it will really be?

• HI HF, Sorry, I made an utter mess of that posting. I'll be back and make a second attempt at it. This new editor is no easy thing to handle.

• There, HF, I managed it better this time, though it's still far from perfect.

About what kind of a revolution, there's still another version which has not been dealt with above, another absolutely indigineous version. That's the one I'm expecting. But now let's wait and see. As you rightly say: it's inevitable.

• @MG
    Your better management seems to have messed up the format of the thread AND got rid of HF's comment :-P

• Interesting comment by nota!

• Good Lord, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out, nota. I'm absolutely lost with this new editor.

HF, sorry to you, too. Could you perhaps repeat the comment?

I'm not posting anything more for the time being. Once bitten, twice shy.

• MG

No problem! Please feel encouraged by your friends of this forum to express your knowledge and comments.

• @MG
    "HF, sorry to you, too. Could you perhaps repeat the comment?"

Found HF's comment -- it is lurking in the top right corner of this page...
    :)

• A revolution is inevitable.  The question arises which type of revolution it will be?

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

Islami Inqilab.

• revolution wont come in a day ...
    it wont come by an indivisual .

Revolutions needs much more ...

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

@Beenai: Global economic collapse is coming. Every human being will soon witness its (sarcasm) 'blessings' (/sarcasm) for! themselves!.

People, all! around! the world! will pay the cost of not listening to our warnings with their lives!.

• You're last two comments, Beenai and HK, are also how I see things. As for Islamic Inqilab, it's likely, but not absolutely certain.

nota: the lurking in the top right corner of this page was a joke, right? Well, all's well that ends well. At least I got the text back on somehow or the other.

• Talk of Revolution ?

<div>Oh yes lots of Talk</div>

<div>                          but where is the Revolution </div>

<div>                          and where is it coming and by airplane or Train ?</div>

• Revolution would be an ideal thing to happen, but it is not possible in current circumstances.

We Pakistanis are divided and subdivided into numerous sections and groups on the basis of language, Maslak and so on.. Revolution needs a leader and unity of purpose.  We dont have both.

Can we develop at least unity of purpose despite all these divisions?

• All my life i support revolution in Pakistan, but some time i have a feeling that it wouldnt come until I/you/us bring revolution  inside ourself.
     we need to change ourself individually to bring any kind of revolution.

When you/me Stop paying bribe for your urgent work?
      When we will use our power ( hands and voice ) to stop corrupt people within  our own families and neighborhood.

• revolution , change - overrated words in Pakistan.

• You're probably right, natascha.

To the two pakistanis, in my present mood akin to despair, I tend to agree with both of you.

As for shimatoree's enquiry about the mode of transportation: gadha gari, I'd say. The donkey cart might well suit our possibilities and psyche best.

• Now the time has come when the nation has to be ready to invest heavy costs in a revolution; A revolution is a costly matter no doubt.