Barack Obama accused of exaggerating terror threat for political gain

• Barack Obama accused of exaggerating terror threat for political gain

• Pakistani diplomat launches scathing attack on White House

• European intelligence claims raised terror alerts 'nonsensical'

Simon Tisdall and Richard Norton-Taylor guardian.co.uk, Thursday 7 October 2010

A US terror alert issued this week about al-Qaida plots to attack targets in western Europe was politically motivated and not based on credible new information, senior Pakistani diplomats and European intelligence officials have told the Guardian.

The non-specific US warning, which despite its vagueness led Britain, France and other countries to raise their overseas terror alert levels, was an attempt to justify a recent escalation in US drone and helicopter attacks inside Pakistan that have "set the country on fire", said Wajid Shamsul Hasan, the high commissioner to Britain.

Hasan, a veteran diplomat who is close to Pakistan's president, suggested the Obama administration was playing politics with the terror threat before next month's midterm congressional elections, in which the Republicans are expected to make big gains.

He also claimed President Obama was reacting to pressure to demonstrate that his Afghan war strategy and this year's troop surge, which are unpopular with the American public, were necessary.

"I will not deny the fact that there may be internal political dynamics, including the forthcoming midterm American elections. If the Americans have definite information about terrorists and al-Qaida people, we should be provided [with] that and we could go after them ourselves," Hasan said.

"Such reports are a mixture of frustrations, ineptitude and lack of appreciation of ground realities. Any attempt to infringe the sovereignty of Pakistan would not bring about stability in Afghanistan, which is presumably the primary objective of the American and Nato forces."

Read more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/07/barack-obama-terror-threat-claims

• MG-

So now we will consider Wajid Shamsul Hassan- of the Swizz legal documents-( of Zardari)- Highjack fame a mature diplomate and believe everything he says

about our previous great Black Hope Barrack Hussein Obama ?

Such things give me hyperacidity !

• think about implications of this on muslims of europe, now they will all live as potential suspects.... guilty until proven innocent.

• @Salam

Their condition is still far better than few European kids trained in Waziristan executing Mumbai like operation in any of western Europe country.

• Shimatoree,

Forget Hasan , will you or will you not believe 'European Intelligence'?

I won't rubbish these statements really. It's quite possible Americans are blowing things out of proportion.

• @shirazi

your logic is based on info acquired from propaganda which requires blind belief :)

wouldn't your logic question that info, its source and motive? Or you jump to conclusion based on your blind belief ;-)

• @Natasha

When terrorists plans are not caught in time we all blame them for intelligence failure when they raise flags they are blamed for blowing things out of proportion.

• @Salam

It's not blind belief. Who doesn't know what kind of universities operate in Waziristan and what kind of diplomas are presented to graduates from Waziristan Institute of technology.

• Shirazi,

I say that based on the fact that its the 'European Intelligence' which is calling them nonsensical. I wouldve rubbished it for sure had it been 'only' Shamsul Hasan making those statements.

• Salam,

May I say that it also requires 'blind belief' to give a clean chit to you-know-who.

//graduates from Waziristan Institute of technology. //

That was a good one Shirazi.

• Madrasa graduates and Waziristan IIT grads are performing much better than the Oxford, Harvard trained traitors.

This is what Allama Iqbal alluded to the secular education devoid of God Almighty being worthless and not the worth the paper on which the degrees are awarded.

No wonder the madrasa grads are resisting the combined might of the so called civilized and industrialised West and treacherous Eastern traitors having Oxford, Harvard, Berkeley degress are towing the great Satan.

• shirazi

have you visited that area before or after 2002?

i mean are you familiar with actual ground reality or you only rely on CNN news stories?

• @AR

"Madrasa graduates and Waziristan IIT grads are performing much better than the Oxford, Harvard trained traitors."

Certainly ... that's why you make sure your grads right away perform at some shrine, market or check post.

• @Salam

The farthest I have been to is Peshawar. I actually lived there for few years and certainly visited it after 2001. CNN by no means is my only source of information. On the contrary I very rarely watch CNN.