The Believers are Indeed Successful

• بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

The Believers are Indeed Successful

By Shaykh 'Abdur-Rahmaan as-Sa'dee (d.1376H)

Transcribed by Aboo Uthmaan [1]

Allaah, the Exalted says:

"Successful indeed are the believers. Those who offer their Salaat (prayers) with all solemnity and full submissiveness. And those who turn away from Al-Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk, falsehood, and all that Allaah has forbidden). And those who pay the Zakaat. And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts) except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame; But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors; Those who are faithfully true to their Amanaat (all the duties which Allaah has ordained, honesty, moral responsibility and trusts etc.) and to their covenants; And those who strictly guard their (five compulsory congregational) Salawaat (prayers) (at their fixed stated hours). These are indeed the inheritors. Who shall inherit the Firdaus (Paradise). They shall dwell therein forever." (Al-Mu'minun 23:1-11)

Eight characteristics are mentioned herein and all of them inculcate faith and strengthen it just as they are also part and parcel of faith, the explanation of this has preceded.

The presence of heart in the prayer, the one praying striving to the utmost to have presence of mind with regards to what he says and does of recitation, remembrance, supplication, standing sitting, bowing and prostrating, all of these are from the causes that lead to the increase of faith and its strengthening. We have previously mentioned that Allaah, the Exalted has called the prayer faith with His words:

"And Allaah would never make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e. your prayers offered towards Jerusalem)." (Al-Baqarah 2:143)

Allaah, Exalted is He says:

"Perform As-Salaat (Iqamaat¬ as-¬Salaat). Verily, As-Salaat (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshaa' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.) and the remembering (praising, etc.) of (you by) Allaah (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising, etc.)." (Al-'Ankabut 29:45)

Therefore prayer is the greatest barrier preventing all indecent and evil actions which in turn negate faith. Prayer also includes that dhikr of Allaah which in turn nourishes and strengthens faith:

"…and the remembering (praising, etc.) of (you by) Allaah (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising, etc.)." (Al-'Ankabut 29:45)

Giving in Zakaat also strengthens and increases faith, the obligatory and optional. The Prophet (sall-Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said:

"Giving in sadaqah is a proof." [2]

Meaning a proof of the faith of the one who gives it.

Turning away from worthless talk, meaning any speech containing no benefit and indeed any actions containing no benefit, leaving all evil in speech and action, without doubt is from those matters that are part of faith and serve to strengthen it. This is why the Companions, when they senses negligence in themselves, or they senses a disarray in their faith, they would say: "Sit with us and let us devote ourselves to faith for an hour" and they would sit, performing the dhikr of Allaah and making mention of His worldly and religious favours, thereby renewing their faith.

Abstaining from indecent actions, especially fornication is from amongst the greatest matters that strengthen and increase faith. This is because the true believer, because of his fear arising from the station he is to take before his Lord, prevents the soul from submitting to its base desires.

Honouring trusts and contracts and sticking fast to them is from the signs of faith. In the hadeeth there occurs:

"There is no faith for the one who possesses no honesty and trustworthiness." [3]

Hence, if you wish to know the faith of a person and his religiousity, look to his condition, does he tend and look to his trusts and contracts - those related to property, words and the rights of others and his Lord. If you find him fulfilling these then he is a person of faith and religion. If not, his faith is defective in proportion to his negligence of the above matters.

The verses conclude by mentioning preserving the prayers, i.e. with respect to their regulations, their rights, and their times. This is because preserving these is like preserving the water that nourishes a resplendent garden, that garden being the garden of faith. The tree of faith is in need of being constantly tended to and nourished with water. This water is preserving the actions of obedience and worship that a servant does through the day, removing all that would inhibit and harm this of the weeds that grow around the tree - the weeds of sins in speech and action. When this happens the tree sprouts its diverse fruits.

Footnotes:

[1] I (Aboo Uthmaan) transcribed this text from a book entitled "The Tree of Faith", Pgs. 57-59, translated by Abu Rumaysah and published by "Al-Hidaayah Publishing & Distribution"

[2] A portion of a hadeeth reported by Muslim (#223)

[3] Reported by Ahmad (3/135, 154, 210, 251), Ibn Hibbaan (#47) and Ibn Abi Shaybah, al-Imaam (#7) and it is saheeh.

• You have mentioned many a times that you are an old man. Its high time that you learn more about the One who you will meet for sure.

• "For Shimatoree --The Believers are Indeed Successful"

Now this is what we call focused thread.

• Shimatoree special.

Somebody please explain why this dedication?

• Dedicated to Scholars so that we may improve level of our knowledge through this debate.

• here is my question :)

why a pushtoon is following an 'arab' ?

• Why can't a Pushtoon follow an arab Salam?

Who was Muhammad peace be upon him? Not a Pashtoon or Punjabi as far as I know?

If we can follow Zardari, Altaf, Shareef then why not an Arab? (Not pointing to our prophet but to the person, Salam Sahib is kindly pointing to? :-)

By the Way, NNL... Well done... Long time huh!

• Khan_sahib

thanks for your answer, you got what i meant, but this question was intended for another pushtoon brother and there is some context attached to it-

let's see if he ignores it or takes on the challenge :)

• lol

I am trying to understand the context? By the Way, I am off to Mecca some time tonight or tomorrow... I will Pray for this Pashtoon brother to return to the Sirat e Mustaqeem along with ghazi23,qaidkamazaar etc.... lol

• wow.. mashallah..

first time?

hey.. pray for all of us-

• quote- " The Believers are Indeed Successful"

By any yardstick this must be a joke.

• @shimatoree

_quote- " The Believers are Indeed Successful"

By any yardstick this must be a joke."_

Well I am laughing because this is supposedly not a joke ;-)

• hey i googled shimatoree and see what comes up-

is that you? 38 year old plastic surgeon?

you must be proud of your horse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1125372/index.htm

• shimatoreee

The Western Thinker to whom u are following think of themselves as peaceful, but in fact the gentleness and sublimity of the New Testament, and the peace-loving nature of the principles of democracy, are scarcely reflected in Western popular culture. Rather, the entire inclination of popular culture — Hollywood movies, Western television, video games, popular music and sports entertainment — is to glorify and inculcate violence. Accordingly, the relative rates of murder (especially random and serial murder) are higher in the Western World (particularly in the U.S., but even in Europe, taken as a whole) than they are in the Islamic world in counties that are not suffering civil wars, and this is true despite the much greater wealth of the West. So ever read the following words?:

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:1-5)

• ss -

You should say-

" The western thinkers WHOM I-(SS)- think you are following "

Sorry Buddy- I am not following any Western Thinker at all.

I am only following Muslim Thinkers as contrasted with those that have ossified minds and cannot think at all.

• Salam-

sorry wrong guy

• This post is deleted!

• @NNL, Salam, and other like-minded people

Have you guys ever seen the process of GUR making from sugar canes or watering the farms in rural areas, people there use bulls to water their farms or to extract juice from sugar canes. These bulls are blind folded and they are moving in circles for hours.

When I was a child I used to watch them with a sense of grief, feeling sorry for those animals and thinking that how it would feel to be an animal. I didn’t know when I’ll grow up I’ll be in contact with such blind-folded people who are moving in circles for centuries, thinking that they have travelled long distances but in reality they are still there from where they have started.

These people called themselves believers but their own belief is so fragile that can easily be shaken by one simple question. They think that the foundations of Islam are weak and can be broken by anything. My advice for them is to please have a real belief in God, don’t just pretend for He is not that weak. He wants us to think and look for answers. If He is real we’ll find Him everywhere, if not then there is no point in defending Him.

• @salam

What is your point? Is this how "The Believers" become "Successful"? I think you have no point to counter @shimatoree so you are playing (are) the lowlife trying to "expose" his identity. Utterly shameful and disgusting behavior on your part!

• @dildar, shirazi and other like minded people

i can tell you a similar story about donkey, but out of respect will refrain-

if you think your belief is so strong, so powerful, and so crystal clear then why do you ask question to those who you think have weak, fragile and blind belief?

everything has a purpose, why don't you tell us the purpose behind your question?

it is perfectly legitimate to ask "who is asking.." because answer then has to be given in context to background-

if you want to ask, then ask, take a position, don't act like poking others with sense of superiority complex thinking you are over smart, while rest of the people are bulls, so also look at your attitude -you guys are just a joke :)