Time for India to lead: Hillary

• CHENNAI: Betting on India’s vibrant holistic democracy, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday said the country should take up a leadership role as it would help shape the future of the whole Asia-Pacific region.

Clinton said the US encouraged India to not only look east but also to ‘engage and act’ east. “India’s leadership in south and central Asia is critically important,” she said. The Indian democratic setup allowed the participation of people belonging to all backgrounds and faiths, and this served as a model to neighbours like Sri Lanka, which is working towards political reconciliation, she said, adding that citizens of the island nation deserved equal hope and opportunity for a better future.

Stating that the role she was asking India to play was ambitious, Clinton said, “Yes, it is an ambitious agenda, but we can afford to be ambitious.”

“It’s time (for India) to lead. It has to do more to integrate economically with neighbours Afghanistan and Pakistan and take a more assertive role across the Asia-Pacific,” Clinton said.

“This is not a time when any of us can afford to look inward at the expense of looking outward. This is a time to seize the emerging opportunities of the 21st century. This is a time to lead,” she said.

“We are betting on India’s future...that opening of India’s markets to the world will produce a more prosperous India and South Asia...that India’s vibrant pluralistic society will inspire others to follow a similar path of tolerance. We are making this bet not out of blind faith but because we have watched your progress with great admiration,” she added. Clinton also advocated more cooperation between India, US and China. She admitted it was “not easy”, but pointed out there were areas of common interest.

Does the US govt want India to deploy her army in Afghanistan and safeguard US?

• "...It has to do more to integrate economically with neighbours Afghanistan and Pakistan..."

آج آپ کو پاکستان کے خارجہ بیان چاہے سول حکمران ہوں یا فوجی جب بھی تجارت کو فوقیت دینے کی بات کریں تو سمجھ جائیں کہ امریکی آقا کی خواہش پر عمل کیا جا رہا ہے

• Clinton’s trip to India a colossal failure on three counts

Posted on 20 July 2011.

Colossal Failure: Clinton's trip to India fails to break Nuclear Impasse. Image via Wikipedia

One of the crowning achievements of President Bush was to entice India into a partnership with U.S. by seducing Delhi with the so called 123 Civilian Nuclear deal. That was almost a decade ago with the actual deal signed in 2008. The Civilian Nuclear deal is embroiled in red-tape and other countries of the Nuclear Supplier’s Group are trying to take advantage of the opportunities offered. China has objected to giving Delhi an exception if the same parity is not offered to Pakistan. According to analysts the 123 Civilian Nuclear deal is dead on arrival.

The Nuclear Supplier’s Group (NSG) imposed noew restriction on India. It stunned Indian policy makers a few months ago when it announced new restrictions on enrichment and reprocessing technologies to countries that have not signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. That list includes India.

Clinton tried to apologize for the failed attempt by the US to give India a free hall pass. “Nothing about the new enrichment and reprocessing transfer restrictions agreed to by the Nuclear Suppliers Group members should be construed as detracting from the unique impact and importance of the U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Agreement or our commitment to full civil nuclear cooperation,” said Clinton.

On the other hand the Sino-Pakistan Civilian Nuclear deal has been moving forward in spades with China completing four Civilian Nuclear plants in Chasma and Khushab and more on the way. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton obfuscated the issue of the Nuclear deal by saying there was a “monsoon” of topics discussed As Hillary Clinton’s effsive prise for India is lost in the quagmire of failure and no results—the two countries remain at an impasse over buying and selling nuclear power technology.

She described the situaiton as “friends that can occasionally disagree..We believe our differences are far outweighed by our deep and abiding bonds.”

Read more:

• Salam, now you tell me who's telling the truth? Those who claim Clinton's trip was a complete failure or those who see in it a blow to Pakistan? My head is simply spinning.

• The best thing that can happen to Pakistan is if India agrees to deploy its army in Afghanistan. Beating the crap out of them would be fun.

• Indians deploying their army in Afghanistan? Never will the Indians do that. They have seen what the Afghans did to two superpowers in recent times.

• It is unlikely.

But if Clinton succeeds in her mission and indians actually start believing the fantasy being sold to them that they are an emerging super power, then they actually may commit the folly of sending troops to Afghanistan.

The whole Pakistan should celebrate that day.

• I must confess I found Adonis' idea very much to my liking. Except that I hope it won't happen. I think the Afghan Resistance has done enough for the world already. Now it's time for others to do their part of the job.

• Would Pakistan let India use land/air routes for logistics? I don't think so...

India thinks through 'calculator' and is already facing risk on $2 billion invested on US guarantees in Afghanistan.

• Hindus don't have mind to lead. They are expert in copy pasting ..... Poor harley, doesn't know majority of indians films are copy of English moives, otherwise she wouldn't have utter such nonsense statement-- which shows her ignorance.... She is a puppet doing her job...

• کافی عرصہ پہلے بی بی سی کے وسعت اللہ خان نے اپنے کالم میں یہ لکھا تھا

انڈیا اس تماشائی کی مانند ہے جو سینما گھر سے سپر مین مووی دیکھ کر نکلا ہو اور اسکی بنا پر ہوا مین اڑنے کی کوشش کر رہا ہو

:) :)

• میری اپنی دلی خواہش ہے کہ دلی کابل میں آے پھر ان کو دیکھنے کو ملے گی اصلی دھمال . فلمی دنیا میں دنیا اور زمینی حقائق میں جو فرق ہے وہ بھی کابل میں پتا چل جائے گا . کابل دنیا کی بڑی بڑی طاقتوں کا قبرستان ثابت ہوا ہے یہ شیلا کی جوانی کیا چیز ہے

:) :)

• And how will a defeated, humuliated and remorseful India will help achieve Pakistan the greatness that we Pakistanis are striving so hard to achieve?

• India to lead? Hillary has a sense of humor.

Indian forces in Afghanistan ? What would they do apart from dancing on their ripped bolly songs? The girlies can't take real war.

• Hypocrite said:

And how will a defeated, humuliated and remorseful India will help achieve Pakistan the greatness that we Pakistanis are striving so hard to achieve?

We Pakistanis are not striving to achieve anything. We just want to live in peace.

A defeated, humiliated and resultantly fragmented India (or a dozen smaller Indias) will ensure us peace which we have been craving for the last 64 years.

• Adonis

Thanks for your opinion and if that is the reality, I am with you.

I generally start from looking inside me, my affairs,my approach, my weaknesses and my actions to determine if the cause of my problem and solution lies with me or some other party. I do agree that sometimes I have fouynd that the cause and solution lies with others and not me.

• @Scan,

What Afghans did to superpowers?

• @Just_One

They broke the back of the Soviet union and now the Americans.

Isn't Americans on the verge of an economical collapse after repeatedly engaging their armies in unnecessary wars?

I know it's a one dimensional approach. There are other "players" in these "games", but the main main player is the Afghan people and their will power to fight foreign invaders.

• i wonder why Hillary want India to lead the world, India is already world's leader.

Female Foeticide

• India needs to lead South then Asia then world then Universe..

whatever makes India happy enough to open up its retail markets for Amreekan and sign that next arms deal with them.

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.