The Corrupt Influence of Money in the Pakistan Political System

• The Corrupt Influence of Money in the Pakistan Political System

by M.AKRAM KHAN

"The truth is there are very few members [of the PAKISTAN Parliament] who I could even name or could think of who didn't at some level participate in that [system of bribery and corruption in Islamabad.

“I'm against very wealthy people attempting to or influencing

elections. But as long as it's doable, I'm going to do it.”

(Remarks of one of the candidate of recent elections”

That's legalized corruption. —Sooner or later, this nonsensical corruption will end, but not before it may have caused irreparable damage to the PAKISTAN political system by violating two basic democratic principles, i.e. the equality of citizens and the principle of one citizen-one vote. There is no otherdemocratic country where the dictum of French economist Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850), applies more concretely:

—"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living

together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of

time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that

glorifies it."

From now on, Pakistan will not have the most competent and the most

dedicated politicians, but the best political hacks that money can

buy. Where are the men and women of value and of independent mind who

would want to run for office in such a corrupt system?

People are not fooled. They know that the quality of candidates to

public office is very low and declining. People of Pakistan want more candidate choices, and a whopping majority have outright negative

opinions about the current field of Leaders

Imran Khan, former cricketer, twice divorced and vulture capitalist and self fish politician.

Iltaf Hussain; extremist ethnocentric who wants to ban

immigration of people from one place to another place in the country while his whole voters have migrated from another country to Pakistan. Who tries to grabs all seats in Karachi, but have chronically failed in implementation of labor laws in Karachi factories and Industries as the owners provide him bribes for his luxurious living in London.Where the rent of his apartment is greater than one million rupees.

Zardari,Known Mr. 10% who thinks that education in this day and age and to be healthy is a unnecessary thing and snob and therefore has removed the subject of Health and Education from federal subjects.

And Nawaz Shareef born fool who show dream to people to

live on the moon without any vision, policies or strategy in the era of poverty.

As of now, with the uncontrolled flow of money coming from

corporations, Industry owners and banks, and more specifically from

defense lobbyists, from pro-Shia Iran lobbyists and Shia Iran Firsters, from Saudi and Dubai oil lobbyists, and about 40,000 other registered and paid lobbyists and terrorists of MQM in Karachi with narrow special and vested interests, have free rein to use the resources of the state as if they were their own and to threaten any individual candidate or office holder to pack in sack who dares to oppose them. —Keep in mind that the pro-Violent lobby MQM,the most powerful and violent single political lobby in Karachi was the main driving force due to lust and greed of dollars along with Musharaf behind the 2001 military invasion of Afghanistan by the Bush-Cheney administration, an illegal war of aggression based on lies and false premises.

Indeed, in such a system, the party and the candidates with the most

money can be expected to prevail and place their pawns and yes-men in

position of power. This is a throwback to the corrupt Musharaf and Ayub era when a handful of rich capitalists formed a greedy political

ruling oligarchy. Undoubtedly, there will be exceptions, but money and

propaganda are bound to dominate Pakistan elections in the future.

The current suplimentary and Senate elections campaign has also demonstrated what can be expected in the future under the new rule. The more money a candidate can raise, often from anonymous sources, the more he can buy time on TV and radio to air negative campaigns, not to advance positive proposals of his own, but to destroy the character and credibility of his opponents.

Already, PTI Imran Khan has reluctantly decided to join the money game and has indicated that his political action advisers who support him will be allowed to accept unlimited donations to boost his election campaign, lest he be at a considerable disadvantage versus his well-financed political adversaries. Indeed, when there are no rules, the party that follows rules is doomed to defeat.

As a consequence, there is no doubt that the Zardari-Gillani and Nawaz Shareef will also have to bend to special interests to obtain money and support from wealthy donors. If re-elected, their administration will have its hands tied to special interests policies that would have been forced upon them. —Where are the common good and the public interest in all that?

Written By:M.AKRAM KHAN

• Now the evidence of corruption of Nawaz Shareef is the main proof that why he was always a failure inspite of people support.

• More over in present type gambling democracy,where 51% abuse to 49%, and where big fish eat to small fish, it is simply impossible to expect any change or improvement in the conditions of Pakistan by election.

• We have no choice other than to continue this system for at-least 10~15 years.

Unfortunately it is not the political class, but also judges, general, Media and bureaucrats are from the same system.

Only to bar political parties or person you cant get rid of this evil cycle, only way to change (no overhaul give the long lasting results only better feeling for a short period) the system. It is not seem possible in current situation.

In my opinion support to continue this system with only one aim to force maximum education for every children. May be after 15~20 years a new generation will start moving in right direction.

• "it is simply impossible to expect any change or improvement in the conditions of Pakistan by election."

Yeah, that is the bidding of Generals and political dwarfs, devoid of any capability or concern for general public, but considering it their birth right to grab power through the back door. I think the opportunity for such self centered crowd is shrinking by the day.

• Even those who came through the front door in last elections have proved to be the corrupts of the highest order.

• Our politicians are less corrupt than generals. From 2002 to 2008 Americans remitted seven billion dollars on war against terrorism. The military books show the expense of only 48 million dollars. Where have those 6 billion and 52 million dollars gone?

Beside English, only one other language is spoken in our armed forces. Had it been four regional languages the story of fate of Pakistan might have been quite different.

• Our politicians are less corrupt than generals.

Argument is weak. No one but no one who is corrupt should be acceptable. Less corrupt is no justfication. If the politicians were not corrupt, the generals will not have a chance.

• "If the politicians were not corrupt, the generals will not have a chance."

If generals had any credibility, they would not be looking to govern through crutches of third rate politicians.

• If the politicians identify a general or generals as corrupt, why do they not get rid of such generals? They have the power under the constitution to do so. What are they afraid of??????????

Where were the politicians of all colours when Musharraf outsted a democratically elected Government which is a treson. Why was he allowed to leave the country by the politicians?????????????????????

• "If the politicians identify a general or generals as corrupt, why do they not get rid of such generals?"

Very simple. The Generals have guns, jeeps, trucks and boots. No to mention their civilian accomplices waiting to feast on their leftovers.

• Cowards! That is all I can say. They claim to give their lives for the country don't they. Cowards but nothing else.

• "Cowards! That is all I can say."

I take it that you are out of arguments. That does happen when you are on the wrong side.

• Money doesnt discriminate between a general, a politician, a judge or an ordinary person.

A general, a politician, a judge and an ordinary person also has the similar tendency to be lured by money.

The society as a whole is becoming corrupt. Is it a top down influence or a bottom up, I dont know.

I do believe that it requires a gigantic effort to purge the society of this corruption.

• I take it that you are out of arguments. That does happen when you are on the wrong side.

You can deduce whatever you like. Unfortunately that does not make the problem go away. When you say politicians cannot do anything because the generals have guns, whet else one can assume from that. If you are afraid of guns do not wish to be part of the government then. Why do the public ask for their votes? just to become a MNA or MPA? To do what?

• Money is requirement and our leaders do it with corruption , Qabza ,Bhatta , Chanda and other sources .

• "If you are afraid of guns do not wish to be part of the government then. Why do the public ask for their votes? just to become a MNA or MPA? To do what?"

Politicians try to do the best they can within the circumstances they are in. They lie low when conditions become impassable, wait for Generals to stumble, and try again. That is the art of politics.

• So What is answer? Do we just keep accepting it? or do we do something about it? Do we start questionning and critically assessing the candidates after our votes and be satisfied before we cast our votes or do we keep on voting for the same names which we know are corrupt and are beyond repairs?

• I will stick with democracy. It has a way of curing its ills, however slow it may be.

• I will stick with democracy. It has a way of curing its ills, however slow it may be.

I am with you on this BUT it will never happen if we keep voting for sloganisms like "Roti, kapra or makan" and "Bhutto away ie away".

I recall Benzir Zardari, may God bless her, saying on TV that "Now our slogan will be Roti kapra aur makan, harr Pakistani ka armaan"

I do not beleive in living in the past and wish that things will improve but we must cast our vote wisely.