Current implication

• Whats is the current implication of left-wing and right-wing politics in Pakistan?

• Dear Leen

To understand this you just need to focus on one thing

"Nato supply Line"

I hope it will clearify what you are looking for.

• @ajhons

I'm a student of IR. i'm working on a project based on left-wing and right-wing spectrum in Pakistan today. After a deep study, it left me confused about the current implication of the spectrum (left and right wingers)

can you elaborate on the Nato supply line a bit?

• well if its an acedemic project forget about Nato Supply Line.

I don't know what era you want to cover.I think its best if you start with Zia ul Haq's era.That was the time when Pakistan got a clear divide between right and left wing.Before that it was there but that was purly a defined intellectual divide.Zia's era not only made it more wide but also induced the concept of jihad against opposit wing.Not right or left just opposit.The idealogical defination of the wings may be a bit hard to define as during his Era, not only the politcal activities were under siege but also almost all school of thoughts related to any kind of cultural and religious debate were completly silenced.Only one "brand" of Islam was the only allowable mode of expression.The Afghan war also acted as a catalist to further romanticize the concept of orthodoxy and brending culture and debate a satanic virtue.

Post Zia era, the democratic period,(a brief period)brought some releif in terms of expressional liberty but both Nawaz Sharif and BB failed to progress on bridging the gat bewteen two extreme.Nawaz Sharif being a pupil of his Godfather and with religious back ground remained in the influence of hardcore ideas of Zia's era and BB traped in the Afghan War's outcome(Taliban).

Dear Leen,

its a lengthy job,better do some google on period from 1979 to 2010(to close the limit).Pre and post 9/11 is also a juicy subject when the whole world clearly divided into Muslim-non muslim world.

I wish I can be of more help if you can narrow down your points to ponder.

• I have studied the history of ideologies but thankyou for refreshing them again.

You are right, its a vast topic. I have some research questions which are as follows:

•What are the current implications of the left wing politics and the right wing politics on Pakistan?

•Which side of the spectrum has Pakistan been following, is it a rightist or a leftist?

•What was Pakistan’s true political stand proposed by Quaid-e-Azam?

And now, i am doing alot of research and literaure review. However, this huge topic still needs supervision so that i don't make any blunders.

• Dear Leen

The questions you raised were importnat to dive in.But unfourtunatly the current scenario is so much chaotic that any political and social definations are very are hard to define.Its so blur and misty that to draw a clear picture is near to impossible.

If you compare to what it should be as per Quaid e Azams' vission with what we have right now you may get confused.All same fectors which he wanted to establish are so mixed with each other that even the concept of right and west is almost vanished.It is something new not only in phenomina but also the nomenclature.

I think the too much involvement of verous religious thoughts into every aspect of society is the main reason of this chaos.The only defination for right and left wing is now evovling around the religious beleifs.

So its better if you are clear in your defination of right and left wing.Then you need to divid the current players in these phases and beleive me that's the toughtest part because morality itself is non existence in current scenario and as I said no clear pictures can be drawn.

As for Quaid's vission, is very clear and you may not if difficult to out line those initial draft of his concept of new state.

• Left wing parties of Pakistan. PPP , IK and band wagon with MQM and rest of the regional ethnocentric parties.

Right wing parties JI and all those Mullah Parties along with NS and his corporation.

Then there independent vultures and opportunists who when they need the religion climb on a issue and switch sides.

• I agree. The irony is that now there's an on-going debate that left-wing doesn't exist in Pakistan. Some are of the different view.

Theoretically, Left-wingers prefer social welfare and less-government and religion role where as today we see both he left-wingers or right-wingers give alot of importance to the institution of religion.

You're right, its hard to define the left-wingers and right-wingers in Pakistan. but then what could be the broader definition?

• As for your Questions

Which side of the spectrum has Pakistan been following, is it a rightist or a leftist?

Rightist was only during the time of Zia ul Haq and after that it never went there. People will argue that ZAB was also right leaning cos of the Islamic inductions of constitution of 73' but one has to understand that immediately after losing one the largest provinces of Pakistan and being responsible for the break up of Pakistan as ZAB couldnt share the power control with Mujeeb. ZAB used Islam as a power play tactic to retain the masses votes for the future. It was and will remain to be nothing but a power play by ZAB.

•What was Pakistan’s true political stand proposed by Quaid-e-Azam?

Quaid Azam was as confused regarding this as every other person who has tried to understand his own stand.

For example Pakistan in Quaid's mind was a secular Islamic state an idea which is an oxymoron in itself. beyond that it would be somewhat of a fiscally conservative socialy liberal with a hint of libertarian.

• Well, in pakistan's perspective the current players both religious-non religious are right wingers in their attitude and their approach towards society.Both have extreme responces against any rivelary of their beleives.

Left wingers are very few but still there(but due to their dorment state and active role they seems vanished)performing their in whatever capacity they can.Despite all the odds you can see a some degreeof positivity in terms of healthcare facilities, educations, sicial activities.Since state machinery is totally failed but state itself is somehow surviving, its only because of the right wingers.In pakistan leftt wingers are slightly different then what we see in other parts of the globe.Because of our unique blend of social setup,we can not distance ourselfs from religion and modration.

But unfourtunatly the major part of the society tends towrads the extremes thinking(it has its own cause)we are left with no clear cut defination.

But you should remember that its not the religion which corrupts the human Mind

its Human Mind which corrupts the religion

• The gauge for measuring anyone's religious inclinations or motivations is the desire to change the most fundamental laws of the country towards the desired religion and/or focus in their own constituencies a set up of religiously indoctrinated policies or centers.

Neither is seen in the parties i have mentioned above.

The only unique blend of left wingers in Pakistan is seen due to the fact that none of them actually support anything to do with religion yet claim to be fervent Muslims. The rest of the world doesnt see such intense hypocrisy in their politicians as their politicians arent really that hypocrites.

• @NNL

BhaiJi "hypocrisy" is the best word to describe our political system.Basically the only important point is power hunger, rest is detail base on hypocrisy.

I beg to differ for mentioning Quad as confused regarding this aspect of state.I read many of his sppeeches and I think he was very much clear.What went wronge is that he failed to understand the true strength of religious leaders ofthat time and the trend of masses towards their spiritual leaders.

• The reason i say Quaid was confused is that he was going for a Secular Islamic state that itself is an oxymoron. The term doesnt exist.

• This is all true. But question remains about the utter confusion of left wingers and right wingers in Pak. Is it correct to say that we do NOT have any extreme left and extreme right situation in Pak?

• no you will have to take the smaller parties with mandates similar to a left wing and similar to a right wing.

Any party that MQM, JSQM and PPP are all Left wing parties.

JI and all other mullaah parties are right wing.

PML is the only unique party who has a surplus of extreme left and right wing members.

PTI is a left wing party.

Extremes are there but are not known.

• It is also possible that we do not have any extremes but slightly inclined to left or right parties.

• پاکستان میں کسی بھی قسم کی دائیں اور بائیں بازو کی تقسیم اور سیاست نہیں ہے اور نا ہی ہوتی ہے

دائیں اور بائیں بازو کی تقسیم اور سیاست ان ملکوں میں ہے جہاں پر صنعتی انقلاب آئے تھے اور اسکے ردعمل پیدا ہوۓ تھے

پاکستان میں تمام سیاسی جماعتوں میں دائیں اور بائیں بازو کے خود ساختہ یعنی سو کالڈ دونوں طرح کے لوگ پائے جاتے ہیں

اسکی " شاندار " مثال اس وقت آئی تھی جب بے نظیر کی شائد دوسری حکومت میں خواتین کے حقوق سے متعلق بل کو پیپلز پارٹی اور اے این پی کے وڈیروں اور خوانین نے پاس کرنے سے انکار کردیا تھا ، ویسے بھی اگر آپ پیپلز پارٹی میں موجود سندھی اور پنجابی وڈیروں اور بلوچی سرداروں کو دیکھیں اور ان کے ترقی پسندی اور خواتین کے حقوق اور اقلیتوں کے حقوق کے بارے میں خیالات سنیں تو ساری بائیں بازو کی سیاست کا نشہ اتر جائے گا

پاکستان میں صرف اور صرف مفادات کی سیاست ہوتی ہے اور اسکا کسی بھی نظریاتی تقسیم سے کوئی تعلق نہیں ہے

ف ج

• FJ, left or right wing is related to party policies, not MNAs.

• عبید میاں

مجھے آپ سے ایسے جواب کی امید نہیں تھی

کیا سیاسی جماعتیں بغیر اراکین اسمبلی کے ہوتی ہیں اور کیا ان کی حکمت عملی آسمان سے آتی ہے ، کیا اراکین اسمبلی کے بغیر وہ حکمت عملی کوئی روپ یا شکل اختیار کر سکتی ہے

اب میں اسپر مزید کیا کہوں

ف ج

• sahab,

look at the critical mass of the party. See who runs and proposes the policies inside the party.

So for example, in PPP their important members are Rabbani, Aitezaaz, Zardari, Jehangir etc. These members are traditionally center left.

Noon League's prominent members are Shareefs, Ishaaq Daar, Asif Khwaja, Ch. Nisar. All of them have traditionally been center right.

The center right and left have now become ghalat malat in past 5 years or so. Both Noon and PPP wants better relations with India. Both of them wants more spent on awam than on defence. Both parties want privatization etc.

Also, center left parties tend to include different religious view points. Such as in PPP you find sunni shia etc. Noon League is lacking in this regard as there is very little, if any, shia representation or support.

Being center right and left allows you to induce a whole spectrum of public opinion from center right to center left but the emphasis remains on your party's core ideology. This is why you see peer as well as secularists in both PPP and Noon (although more on PPP than in Noon).

The far right parties such as Jamat or Faazlur are ideologically homogeneous. We dont have any far left worth-mentioning in Pakistan politics. There are far oleft social groups that are fairly prominent in media, but not in politics.

The best approach to identify left and right effects on pk politics is to identify a list of policy issues, present opinions to and form for each policy issue and assess their acceptance among awam as a function of political support.

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.