Certainty and intolerance

• In an earlier column, I had linked ‘certainty’ to extremism. I thought that non-acceptance of someone else’s point of view is often based on a total lack of healthy scepticism about one’s own. I did not mean that one should give up the feeling of certainty of one’s belief; I thought it could be rendered harmless by also allowing someone else to feel certain about his belief without punishing him.

A reader wrote: “Religion demands certainty when it comes to the tenets of imaan. It is absolute certainty about Allah Almighty and the Last Day that becomes the basis of guidance. Guidance cannot lead to extreme behaviour. It leads to patience, tolerance, compassion, kindness, wisdom, knowledge, etc. All these are essential for the development of a civilised society.”

I am asked why I said that ‘uncertainty’ about one’s held belief leads to tolerance of others’ points of view. I was, in fact, referring to the rise of European relativism based on empirical evidence. In other words, starting with Enlightenment, nothing was certain unless proved by science. My reader said tolerance could come from wisdom. My answer is that wisdom embraces the principle of ‘uncertainty’ by adopting the middle course (adl). When you are not in the middle (adl) you are bound to be occupying an extreme.

Alfred Lyall, a revenue officer of the British Raj, who gave his name to Faisalabad when it was Lyallpur, wrote in Asiatic Studies (1904) that “The Mahommedan faith has still, at least, a dignity and a courageous unreasoning certitude, which in western Christianity have been perceptibly melted down by long exposure to the searching light of European rationalism”.

“This has made Muslims distinctly aggressive and spiritually despotic. They are prejudiced against Christians because of the religious rivalry of a thousand years. Conciliation is no use; all the British could do was keep the peace in India and clear the way for the rising tide of intellectual advancement”. (Quoted in MJ Akbar’s book Tinderbox: The past and future of Pakistan, HarperCollins India 2011, p 70.)

‘Wisdom’ (‘hikmat’), in Islam, is based on flexibility of response and becomes dysfunctional when views are strongly held. Wisdom may look to some like a dishonourable compromise. Principles become a force against flexibility. If Muslims were only intolerant of non-Muslims, they would still be an internally serene community; but they are intolerant of different schools of thought within Islam. This takes us into the domain of group psychology.

Uncertainty assails an individual when he acts alone but not when he is part of a group. Similarly, guilt, a by-product of uncertainty, assails man when he is alone. An introspective thief will be hard put to justify what he is doing; as part of a gang, he can be endlessly savage without the pang of guilt. Faith becomes firm with certainty. The group, formed into an orthodoxy, transforms it into dogma. Muslims kill Muslims on the basis of dogma.

Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) separated human knowing into two elements, will and reason, under the influence of Aristotle, whose wisdom he got from Ibn Rushd (1126-1198). Aquinas thought that will could experience that which reason could not comprehend. In my Lughat al-Quran, it is recommended that ‘imaan’ (faith) and ‘yaqeen’ (‘certitude’) should be one and the same thing for a Muslim.

In the West, faith is something you believe but can’t prove; certitude is that which you can prove and which is provisionally backed by scientific evidence. This dichotomy in the West has allowed it to become non-dogmatic. In our day, certainty is also based on nationalism, the worst form of group feeling.

By Khaled Ahmed

http://tribune.com.pk/story/422048/certainty-and-intolerance/

• Orientalist's way of understanding Islam is like asking an American the recipe of Nehari.

• @BO

So tell me where does your certitude come from?

• will could experience that which reason could not comprehend

:)

Using 'reason' as a pre-requisite for 'will' to start its journey is not an act of 'wisdom' now is it?

To me the freedom of will from reason is Iman. :)

Extreme interpretation of the same would be to take this 'freedom' to mean mutual exclusivity.

• Extremist elements were given birth and then uplifting by the Western powers in the Muslim society to fulfil their designs. When the same extremist and fanatic elements become sources of trouble for the West itself then the populations of common Muslims are bombarded and ravaged. Resultantly, even the common Muslims become hostile to the West.

• Islamic concept of freedom is different than western concept of freedom. West takes material as freedom on the other hand Islamic concept of freedom is based on spirituality. It means freeing one's soul from all the evils which enslave its will.. on the other hand western takes freedom totally on material..

• @fear

nice post

• respect

Western concept of freedom is based on individuality. It is not society based. An individual is free to destroy even if he wishes to destroy society.. Islamic concept of freedom is society based.. Individuals aren't allowed to destroy society as a whole... There are restrictions. A freedom without limits is dangerous.. Take example of Traffic signals.. Signals aren't put on the road to destroy freedom but to control smooth flow of traffic.

Hurriyya is the Arabic term corresponding to the word 'freedom'. However, it was defined by the philosopher Ibn Arabi (d. 1240) as "perfect slavery to Allah".

According to the late American scholar of Islam, Franz Rosenthal (d. 2003), Islamic culture historically has nothing corresponding to the Western concept of freedom as "a fundamental political concept that could have served as a rallying cry for great causes." A Muslim “was expected to consider subordination of his own freedom to the beliefs, morality and customs of the group as the only proper course of behavior…” Thus "…the individual was not expected to exercise any free choice as to how he wished to be governed…In general, …governmental authority admitted of no participation of the individual as such, who therefore did not possess any real freedom vis-à-vis it."

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Hurriyya

• اسی تحریر پر پیغمبرِ فلسفہ حضرت برٹرینڈ رسل رحمتہ اللہ علیہ کے دو اقوال سے مزین ایک انتہائی خوبصورت تبصرہ۔۔۔۔۔۔

:-) ;-) :-)

I should like to preach the will to doubt rather than will to believe; Bertrand Russell used to say.

Certainty about the subjective and unknowable is dogma.Readiness to die for such absolute and divine dogma means that you are also willing to kill for it .This is extreme in intolerance.this is extremism.

I am not prepared to die for my principles; because I know I may be wrong. B. Russell again.

William James used to preach the will to believe. For my part, I should wish to preach the will to doubt. … What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which is the exact opposite.

-Bertrand Russell

• I think these terms do not mean anything until unless tied down to a basic creed...

• Western concept of freedom is based on individuality. It is not society based. An individual is free to destroy even if he wishes to destroy society

فیئر جی، لیکن اگر حقیقت میں ایسا ہی ہے تو ویسٹ تباہ ہونے کی بجایے آگے کیوں ہے، شائد انہوں نے آزادیوں اور پابندیوں میں کچھ نہ کچھ توازن رکھا ہوا ہے

this is today's news..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/world/2012/08/120815_australia_cigarette_packaging_tk.shtml

• Western concept of freedom is based on individuality. It is not society based. An individual is free to destroy even if he wishes to destroy society

فیئر جی، لیکن اگر حقیقت میں ایسا ہی ہے تو ویسٹ تباہ ہونے کی بجایے آگے کیوں ہے، شائد انہوں نے آزادیوں اور پابندیوں میں کچھ نہ کچھ توازن رکھا ہوا ہے

کافروں کیلئے یہ دنیا اور اس کی آسائشیں ہیں جبکہ مومنین کیلئے آخرت میں آسائشیں رکھی گئی ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ بے شک وہ بہترین انصاف کرنے والا ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔

;-) :-) ;-)

• I should like to preach the will to doubt

I know I may be wrong

شائد الله کے پیغمبران سے انتہائی محبت رکھنے والے ان کے پیغام پر اتنی محبت کے ساتھ عمل پیرہ نظر نہیں آتے، دوسروں کو دیکھتے سنتے بھی نہیں، خود کو سنوارتے بھی نہیں

پر بلیک شیپ جی آپ تو فلسفے کے پیغمبران پر یقین رکھتے ہیں جو شک اور تلاش کا کہہ رہے ہیں، ریجیکٹ کرنے کا نہیں، آپ نے مذاھب کو ہی سب مسائل کی جڑ کہیں غلط ہی نہ سمجھ لیا ہو، ہو سکتا ہے کل آپکو لگے کہ یہ اکلوتی وجہ نہیں ہے، پیچھے رہنے کی

• پر بلیک شیپ جی آپ تو فلسفے کے پیغمبران پر یقین رکھتے ہیں جو شک اور تلاش کا کہہ رہے ہیں، ریجیکٹ کرنے کا نہیں، آپ نے مذاھب کو ہی سب مسائل کی جڑ کہیں غلط ہی نہ سمجھ لیا ہو، ہو سکتا ہے کل آپکو لگے کہ یہ اکلوتی وجہ نہیں ہے، پیچھے رہنے کی

ایزی گو صاحب۔۔۔۔۔۔

اس میں کوئی شک نہیں کہ برٹرینڈ رَسل کی تحاریر مجھے پسند ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔

ایک تو آپ اپنی فطری معصومیت کے سبب بات کو ایسا گھماتے ہیں کہ داد دینے کو جی چاہتا ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ آپ نے یہ کہا کہ فلسفہ کے پیغمبران مثلاً حضرت برٹرینڈ رَسل علیہ الصلوۃ والسلام کہ کہنا یہ ہے کہ شک اور تلاش کرنے کی کوشش کرو اور ان کا مطلب مسترد کرنے کا نہیں ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ میں آپ کی توجہ برٹرینڈ رَسل کی ایک تحریر کی طرف دلاؤں گا۔۔۔۔۔۔ اس تحریر کا عنوان ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ میں عیسائی کیوں نہیں ہوں۔۔۔۔۔۔

میرا آپ سے پوچھنا ہے کہ کیا برٹرینڈ رَسل نے مذہب کو مسترد کیا تھا۔۔۔۔۔۔

دراصل آپ کا آرگومنٹ ہی کچھ عجیب سا ہے کہ شک کرلو اور تلاش کرنے کی کوشش کرتے رہیں لیکن کسی چیز کو بھی مسترد نہ کریں۔۔۔۔۔۔ دراصل آپ جو بات کر رہے ہیں اس کو اپنے عمل سے غلط بھی ثابت کر رہے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ کیا آپ کو دنیا کے ہر فلسفہ یا ہر مذہب(میرے نزدیک یہ بھی ایک فلسفہ ہے) سے اتفاق ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ کیا آپ کسی چیز کو مسترد نہیں کرتے۔۔۔۔۔۔ اگر کرتے ہیں تو کیوں کرتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔

ایک بات اور کہ صحیح اور غلط معیاری نہیں ہوتے۔۔۔۔۔۔ ہر ایک کے صحیح اور غلط مختلف ہوسکتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ یہ صرف نقطہِ نظر ہوتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔

میرا نہیں خیال کہ آپ نے خالد احمد کی تحریر پڑھی ہے اور اگر پڑھی ہے تو غالباً توجہ سے نہیں پڑھی۔۔۔۔۔۔ اس تحریر میں تو مصنف نے نکتہ ہی یہ اٹھایا ہے کہ مذاہب آپ کو بغیر ثبوت کے یقین کرنے یا ایمان لانے پر زور دیتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ یہی ایمان آپ سے وہ سب کچھ کرا دیتا ہے جو شاید آپ نہ کریں اگر آپ اس پر ایمان نہ رکھتے ہوں۔۔۔۔۔۔

میں نے کہاں یہ دعویٰ کیا ہے کہ ہمارے پیچھے رہ جانے کی اکلوتی وجہ مذہب ہی ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ ہاں اتنا ضرور کہتا ہوں کہ مذہب کے نتیجہ میں جو ذہنیت ہمارے یہاں پیدا ہوگئی ہے وہ ہمارے پیچھے رہ جانے کی ایک بہت بڑی وجہ ہے اور میرے پاس اس ضمن میں دلائل بھی ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ لیکن بہرِحال یہ میرا نقطہِ نظر ہے آپ چاہیں تو اختلاف کر کے کوئی جوابی دلیل دے سکتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ آپ شاید اگلے صفحات پر ایک بحث کے دوران میرے خیالات جانتے ہوں گے کہ میرے نزدیک ابسولوٹ ٹروتھ یا حتمی سچائی کا کوئی تصور نہیں ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔ اس لئے میں بھی یقیناً غلط ہوسکتا ہوں۔۔۔۔۔۔

حتمی ہونے کا تصور آپ کو مذاہب میں ملے گا۔۔۔۔۔۔ اور یہی نکتہ خالد احمد نے اٹھایا ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔

اب یہ ایک دلچسپ سوال ہوگا کہ مذاہب کیوں حتمی ہونے پر اصرار کرتے ہیں۔۔۔۔۔۔ سوچئے گا۔۔۔۔۔۔

• شائد الله کے پیغمبران سے انتہائی محبت رکھنے والے ان کے پیغام پر اتنی محبت کے ساتھ عمل پیرہ نظر نہیں آتے، دوسروں کو دیکھتے سنتے بھی نہیں، خود کو سنوارتے بھی نہیں

اس تحریر میں آپ نے جن حقائق کا ذکر کیا ہے کیا آپ کا ان حقائق پر ایمان ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔

;-) :-) ;-)

• To me the freedom of will from reason is Iman.

Saeen sahib

Your definition makes sense to me but then can it mean that Iman (I take it as faith) can make a person do right things as well as wrong things?

• Extremist elements were given birth and then uplifting by the Western powers in the Muslim society to fulfil their designs. When the same extremist and fanatic elements become sources of trouble for the West itself then the populations of common Muslims are bombarded and ravaged. Resultantly, even the common Muslims become hostile to the West.

Hussain Farooqui sahib

Very interesting observation. Can it be supported by some facts.

Do you think that all this rivalry, hostility, extremism, fanaticism etc is not because of religion but because of struggle for power. And religion where applicable is used to exploit.

To what phenomenon will you attribute West's hostility towards China and vice versa?

• Islamic concept of freedom is different than western concept of freedom. West takes material as freedom on the other hand Islamic concept of freedom is based on spirituality. It means freeing one's soul from all the evils which enslave its will.. on the other hand western takes freedom totally on material..

Fear sahib

Is it just Islamic concept or the concept of all religions which is based on spirituality?

• @hypocrite

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction

Yes, it can work both ways. If there was only one assured path/way/outcome then we humans might as well have been rocks or dirt rolling down a steep hill. The choice that leads to a 'right' or 'wrong' outcome is what makes us human.

• Yes, it can work both ways

Saeen sahib

Thanks for your comment. Now I have a question and that is "can reason help a person chose between right and wrong?"