Mullah Nazir killed in South Waziristan drone strike

• Ten people were killed including Taliban warlord Mullah Nazir and several others injured in multiple US drone strikes carried out in the South and North Waziristan tribal regions on Thursday.

In the attack in South Waziristan, an unmanned drone fired two missiles at a vehicle killing six people in the Sar Kanda area of Birmil in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal district of South Waziristan.

While talking to Dawn.com, local Taliban and intelligence sources confirmed the killing of pro-government and anti-US Taliban commander Mullah Nazir along with five of his companions near Wana.

Local political administration officials while talking to Dawn.com also confirmed the killing of Mullah Nazir.

Nazir’s funeral was observed in Azam Warsak area, 10 kms from Wana, sources said.

Mullah Nazir was the main militant commander in South Waziristan, part of Pakistan’s northwestern tribal belt considered a base for Al Qaeda, the Taliban and other Islamist militants, and a powerful elder in the Wazir tribe.

Nazir, who was wounded in a suicide attack in South Waziristan on November 29, confined his militant activities to Afghanistan, where he opposed the presence of US and Nato troops fighting an 11-year Afghan Taliban insurgency.

He, as well as North Waziristan commander Hafiz Gul Bahadur, was understood to be close to the Al Qaeda-linked Haqqani network, a faction of the Afghan Taliban blamed for some of the most high-profile attacks in Afghanistan.

Another Pakistani security official said Nazir and his fighters were targeted as they were trying to swap vehicles when their double cabin pick-up encountered a mechanical fault.

Two of his influential deputies Atta Ullah and Rafey Khan were among those killed, the official added.

Another militant commander Rata Khan was believed to have been killed in the attack.

Nazir’s fighters have previously been targeted by US drone strikes. He reached a peace deal with Islamabad in 2007 and had testy relations with the Pakistani Taliban, who have been waging a domestic insurgency since 2007.

Separately, four people were killed and several others injured in a drone attack in the Mubarak Shahi village in North Waziristan tribal region’s Mir Ali Tehsil.

The US drone targeted a vehicle with two missiles, and then fired another two missiles when rescuers gathered at the site to carry the bodies and the injured.

The death toll from the drone strike in North Waziristan was expected to rise, security sources told Dawn.com.

There were reports of a Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan(TTP) commander Faisal, affiliated with the Hakimullah group, being killed in the strike along with two uzbek militants, sources said.

• Now was he a good Taliban or bad Taliban? Those who are sitting with Moulana Nazir in car are innocent civilians?

• then fired another two missiles when rescuers gathered at the site to carry the bodies and the injured.

Zalim Shirazi,

I can't say about those who were sitting with Moulana Nazir in car, were they innocent civilians or not, but I'm sure those rescuers were innocent civilians and Shirazi you will get your part for supporting these two missiles!!!

• @asif bahi

If someone's mission in life is to rescue he should join Edhi or 511. Militants droned bodies are no rescue sites. Only militants surround their beloved leaders chita ...

:)

• Shirazi ji,

Have you ever been in Waziristan or Allaqa Khir? There is no Edhi or 511 in Waziristan or Allaqa Khir. So people help each other to rescue life.

• @asif bahi

Is this first time drones targetted droned rescuers? Taliban usually surround body of droned militants before anyone gets to it and that makes rescue party high value target. Innocent civilians should join that party at their own risk.

BTW in your books, Mullah Nazir was good or bad Taliban? He wasn't TTP instead a proud Aghan holly warrior ....

• Taliban usually surround body of droned militants before anyone gets to it and that makes rescue party high value target.

Who gave you this information?

BTW in your books, Mullah Nazir was good or bad Taliban? He wasn't TTP instead a proud Aghan holly warrior ....

I have no ideas about these people. Only my concern is innocent people living in this region. Even I have never been in Waziristan or Allaqa Khir. In my school days occasionally I went to Bara with my mother and once I traveled through allaqa khir as I got one Tashkil in Jangle Khil near Kohat.

• Asif Bhai,

Ignore the scavengers gathering for the meal. They will never be able to comprehend the martydom. It is nothing new. These kind of toilet cleaners existed during British rule and will always be there to clean the "mess".

I wish you all read the advise of Soviet general who said even if the NATO war criminals gather all the arsenal in their warehouses of drones to cruise to B52's to MOABS from all over the planet,they will never be able to dent the spirit of those mountain warriors. The NATO war criminals fate is sealed just like the British and Russians lost their Empires in those formidable mountains

• They said 8 others were killed in this extra-judicial killing, so how many innocent women and children were murdered among those 8? There was a FIOA request in US demanding that the White House reveal what "legal" authority Obama and his war criminal assasins have to commit these war crimes. A federal judge ruled the White House does not have to reveal such authority as it is "classified". Of course, it's being appealed. But any intelligent person knows that WAR CRIMES are prohibited by every single international treaty that defines war crimes and that the US is a signatory to. It's also prohibited by the Constitution and several federal statutes. The bloodthirsty neanderthals reading my comment can give me all the thumbs down to what they want but it doesn't change the FACTS and the TRUTH.

• @Abdul Rehman Saab

Please accept my condolences. For you there are no bad Talibans, they all are good, better or best and Molvi Nazir was perhaps among the best.

May God help you bear the loss and keep your morale off the cliff. It seems to be all rattled now.

:)

• @AR Saab

Why your beloved militants always hang around with innocent women and childern? Are they womenizers?

• As I said scavengers neither can comprehend martydom nor can they understand that such pious acts are celebrated. Their mindset cannot think other than offering "condolense".

Shirzaji I need some sweats on this occasion. Tears are for womenfolk and womenizers

• Why your beloved militants always hang around with innocent women and childern? Are they womenizers?

Dear Sherazi what do you think they aren't human. They don't have relations and ties. Why your beloved militants / Masters always fire missile when they hang around with innocent women and childern? That's the point and i think you've have no answer for that..

• seems mr. kiyani has finally started to deliver his "part"...

• @Salam bahi

Are you upset even good Talibans are falling down ... If Kiyani was deleviring his part there was no need of drones.

• @Fear ji

Can't they just je*k off or that's against Islam? Why Osama had 3 women and 20 odd kids? What kind of Jihad is that?

• he was good guy... innalilahiwainilaihirajoon

• السلام و علیکم - سلام بھائی

خوش آمدید - کیسے ہیں؟

• @AR Saab

Let's celebarate the martyrdom of Mulla Nazir. Can uou please write his eulogy for rest of the forum members? Please don't forget to mention when and where he was born? Where he graduated from, if he ever indeed? What he liked to do? How he turned to Jihad? What made him a distinguished Jihadi? How he like to spend his day? and how much he 'd be enjoying in the midst of 72 virgins?

• @salam bahi

"he was good guy... innalilahiwainilaihirajoon "

That's a good start, please keep pouring ...

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.