Pakistan's new Cricket Team

• Just like the rest of Pakistan has suffered under Zardari and Musharraf rule, so has the cricket team.

we all know that a lot needs changing in the PCB's structure and how the game is supported at grass roots. But I feel it is also time we carve out a new team.

The only few player that showed batting form consistently in the recent series against India are likes of Hafeez and Nasir Jamshed.

The utter disgrace are the likes of Afridi and Kamran Akmal and the rest do not fall too far from them. Even if Afridi can be defended for his bowling, the sheer fact that he comes in to bat thinking that he is going to hit a six on every ball of every bowler is like, Agha Waqar claiming that he can run a car on mango juice.

The fact that he comes with this mind set of throwing his wicket away is sheer arrogance and disrespect to the nation that has put him there as its representative instead of many others that could be there in his place.

If Afridi stopped playing his aerial shot for the first five or six over's, it is more than probable that he would make a decent score and find his lost batting form. He cannot just hold his place because of his bowling since we have plenty of spinners that can take his place such as Raza Hassan, who bowled really well against England and has now disappeared.

People like Afridi take this honour for granted, a God given right, and are barricading young talent, which I know there is plenty of in Pakistan, if someone wants to find it.

Take the example of Junaid Khan, who in my view could be the next 'Waqar' as he swings it both ways and when bowls the perfect line, is unplayable.

I also can't understand why people like Irfan are kept away until they reach thirty when they no longer have the fitness?

Waseem Akram, although scandalous, was one the best bowlers in the world because of his swing, straightest arm action and his extraction of bounce from fuller lengths due to his height working in combination with his action. So he became a legend. Irfan could have been that, if introduced and coached when he was a little more tender, although he still could be good for a number of years, if worked on.

Likes of Mohammed Amir, Hasan raza, Nasir Jamshed and Junaid Khan (only 22) prove that there is much talent waiting to be given an opportunity. It just needs a chance to get past the likes of Afridi, Misbah, Younas, Malak and Akmals.

Speaking of Akmals, the oldest has always been rubbish at keeping and hit and pray at batting, even if you ignore his match fixing career, the youngest who clearly got in because of the monopoly of that family in the game, since he surely had no credentials and was a complete flop ( talking about Adnan akmal) and the one who does have a bit of batting ability (UAkmal), has an ego problem (temperament issues) and throws away his wicket when it matters the most.

For example, the 2nd T20 against India when he could have made a 'single' but did not greedily, so that he could retain the strike despite Hafeez's encouragement, as he was having temperament issues. The result was that he threw away his wicket on the next ball and in my view, changed the balance of the game in favour of India. To me, that was when the downfall of that game began and he (his temperament) was the trigger of it. Well, I'm sure there will be many talented youngsters in Pakistan, like Nasir Jamshaid who don't have a temperament issue and so this should be brought in the knowledge of Umar Akmal by the management.

Misbah-ul-haq is captain of the one day team. He has lost more matches than he has won for Pakistan. I can see why Hafeez deserves to be the Captain but what qualifies Misbah to even be in the team is beyond my comprehension apart from the fact that likes of Rameez Rajah, seem to have, a somewhat peculiar liking towards him. Does anyone know if Rameez has some weird tendencies?

;)

It looks very suspicious to me that every match Misbah has helped the team to lose, is either a crucial world cup match or it's a match that seems impossible to lose even if Pakistan batted blindly. Any one betting against the odds would certainly make big money with curtsy of these 'performances' of Misbah.

So,... I feel that we need to do away with most of this team along with PCB to recruit new and young talent all round.

My Question is; who would you remove from the team and Why?

• @short life endless plans

Do you mind telling me few things..

1: Do you ball chinaman or googly?

2: Have you played cricket with hard ball?

3: your batting avg?

what kind of stuff is this in your sports blog

"Just like the rest of Pakistan has suffered under Zardari and Musharraf rule, so has the cricket team"

• I Play in a respectable, regional amateur league as an all rounder but strength is in bowling.

Alhamdulillah, as a result of my perseverance, I can swing the hard ball in feet, not in centimetres, both ways and at a good pace.

"Just like the rest of Pakistan has suffered under Zardari and Musharraf rule, so has the cricket team"

It's just a general statement, I'm not necessarily saying that Zardari or Musharraf intended this but Zardari did appoint the last idiot of a chairman

• @SLEP

I concur with your analysis.

Before I comment on the the team, I would like to see the constitution of PCB changed primarily to remove the President as its Patron (the president or the primeminster of the country should never be involed even if they had playeed test cricket in the past) and allow the Regions to be the managers of the PCB collectively.

From the existing staff, in addition to your suggestions, I will say good bye to Shoaib Malik, Abdul Razzaq, Younas Khan, and Tanvir. The reasons are inconsistent performance and ageing factor.

As you have said, there is no shortage of talent and the best way forward is blood them young when talent has been spotted. The useful lives of crickers has been drastically reduced due to the volume of cricket being played these days.

My candidate for captainxy for all forms of cricket is Hafeez. He appears to be a thinking cricketer.

Yes now we can talk... btween if you are living in USA ( somewhere in south send me pvt message we can set up a game or two...)

1: Misbah

He provided a senseable leadership on ground, what we had before him...Shahid afrid, who will leave team in half way of tour or bite the ball or may be Youns or Yousuf even though best batsmen in team they were in fight with one group or other...or salman Butt??

Misbah's approch is bit defensive but if you look at his style he stayed on one end and try to hit later ...unlucky but few times he failed but we cant take away credit for what he has done right.

Last game how our betting line up failed is just because no one trying to stay on pitch and rotate strike 3.5 runs were not impossible to get .... YK's shot selection is biggest to blame.

2: Afridi is hit and miss case since 1997... you cant change his style... but you will agree 99.9% time when he is walking to bat you know there is hope..( may be only for 2 balls ).

3: Kamran Akmal... how come we are not able to find replacement for him... we have seen few but non can bat like him .....we do need replacement and we are not getting one from domestic cricket.

4: How you get new faces in team:

Bring strong domestic cricket.... have 4-5 regional (maximum) teams have strong club culture to support regional teams, Have turning, bouncy, seamers friendly surface with our dirty bowl as well....

Pick your Under 19 and 23 early so you can have bench strength ... like Aussies of 90s. Send ur Under 19s and 23 to all over the world may be with ur own pocket and let them expose with intern'l level cricket.

5: Have your coaching staff train in management, sports psychology and computers and Physical / bio mechanics

with strong cricket skills...

• Pakistani cricketer "Shoaib Akhtar" once said in an interview to an Indian media that "Tendulkar is your God, not ours, if I hit your cricket god on the head with the ball, did I do something wrong?

• what kind of stuff is this in your sports blog

Dear expakistani,

This is typical N O O R A Sport blog.

• @expak

I agree with you on most issues but I beg to differ on Misbah. We can see that Hafeez is captaincy material and I agree with Diwana that Hafeez should be the captain in all forms of the game. There is no sense in having two different captains if the core team remains the same in all three forms of the game.

The problem with Misbah's batting is that he can hold his wicket by defending but his ability to work around the ball and keep the singles ticking is just not good enough. So as a result when he comes on to bat in such situations, he creates a bottle neck. This would be fine if he could lead the team home but he creates a bottle neck and then gives his wicket away and since he does not bat up the order those before him and those after him take the heat.

Misbah is too often seen on the ground taking advice from senior players which gives the impression that his decision making is not as strong as Hafeez who is usually a lot more vocal and is seen giving instructions rather than taking advice. So I don't think that Misbah is at all captaincy material.

I was a big Afridi fan but if you are a cricketer yourself as you have hinted then please just think objectively and ask yourself, is it not true that the way Afridi plays is immature as it is not possible to hit a six after a six even at an armature level never mind professional. To me, what Afridi does is an insult to the nation. It's like spitting in your face when he does that.

Also, I honestly believe that if he played every ball on merit or even forgot about the six for a while he could regain his form and make decent score every game. As a batter, my experience is that a delivery that is 'sixable'

can also be stroked for a boundary. If you cast your mind back to the two games of the T20 world cup under Younas's captaincy, that Afridy batted well in, you could see clearly that he adapted his style of play from irresponsible to cautious.

I agree with you on supporting cricket at club level but I still believe that there is more than enough talent in Pakistan to replace the current stock that we have.

• @Diwana

I completely agree with you on all especially Sohail Tanveer.

• @Bearice

Pakistani cricketer "Shoaib Akhtar" once said in an interview to an Indian media that "Tendulkar is your God, not ours, if I hit your cricket god on the head with the ball, did I do something wrong?

LOL, here is the link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwtTaEo43U

Unfortunately,Shoaib Akhtar was completely wasted by PCB, he could have achieved so much for himself and Pakistan if some on could have handled him properly.

• @Bearice

Here's another good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlBOrzWITI

Ganguly sajdey me daal diya!

• @SLEP

It is pleasing indeed that you find my views acceptable. I have studied your comments addressed to expakistan and would like to add my thoughts as follows:

Shahid Afridi should have been exluded from the national side from the day he roughed up the pitch during the test match against England and again when tried to eat the ball again against England and twice infront of 14 cameras. Personally, I found that unfogiveable but he was made Captain after the ball eating saga which sent the wrong type signals to the young ones and we have seen the results of the court case in England.

Having said that which may be dismissed by some as an emotional crap, I always observed that Afridi was technically a deficient player and furthermore that he seemed not to learn from his mistakes or from other bastmen. His fans get carried away with his strike rate but never look at his average. As you have pointed out he does not play each ball on its merit.A batsman is always advised to watch the ball on to his bat but I have seen Afridi on more than one occasion his eyes shut when going for a shot.

Your comments on Misbah are spot on. I do not think he will make the side on merit. Your comments about taking singles have reminded me Javed Miandaad. Even his critics acknowlede that not only he was an elegant plaer but he was a player who invented shots to ensure that the scoreboard kept ticking.

I beleive you and I together should be incharge of PCB. What do you think?

• @SLEP

I agree with your comments about Shoaib as well. If he had been disciplined earlier on for ihis indiscipline, he would have been a more effective bowler.

• I beleive you and I together should be incharge of PCB. What do you think?

Ha! ha!, couldn't agree with you more. Will send our CV in when new government comes in :))

Misbah is around 38-39 so soon, may be right after south african ODI and test match he will leave.

Hafeez is doing good but can he open against quality bowlers in south africa..time will tell

• Diwana

Your comments on Misbah are spot on. I do not think he will make the side on merit. Your comments about taking singles have reminded me Javed Miandaad. Even his critics acknowlede that not only he was an elegant plaer but he was a player who invented shots to ensure that the scoreboard kept ticking.

Javed Miandad was an asset that could have been utilised as a coach if it wasn't for the politics of PCB. I truly miss Inzi as well. I remember his test match game towards the end of his career where he played with Umar Gull on the other side and kept rotating the strike not letting Gull face batting and made almost 90 runs like this. It was talent at its best. It even left the commentators speechless. I can't imagine Misbah do that even for two overs. Many of our national heroes have been mistreated by PCB, however things are changing in Pakistan and my hope is that PCB too, will change for better, after the elections.

• I have had my CV ready for the last 20 years. You better start writing one or do you need a ghost CV writer? (discounted rate but terms and conditions apply).

• @Expakistani

Misbah is around 38-39 so soon, may be right after south african ODI and test match he will leave.

Hafeez is doing good but can he open against quality bowlers in south africa..time will tell

Well, I'm confident Hafeez will do well InshaAllah. Most of this team will have to go to make a difference and they will if there is a change of government after the next elections.

Hafeez has been performing consistently for a while now and I believe he has already proved himself. Indian bowling attack was far from ordinary. The Indian pacers did not ball anything less than quality. If Matches are played in South Africa, Pakistan will be playing on pitches that behave differently from the Asian pitches so it will be a test for all Pakistani batsmen.

• @Diwana

I have had my CV ready for the last 20 years.

Well, in that case I will have no chance against you so I concede in your favour already but should you succeed, you could always appoint me as vice chairman :)

• @expakistani

"Hafeez is doing good but can he open against quality bowlers in south africa..time will tell"

Of course only time will tell. But Hafeez seems to be an intelligent cricker and a quick learner. If you recall he was bowled by Indian pacer Kumar first ball not playing a shot. After that he played him and other bowlers back and across.

Compare this with Misbah. Remember his reverse sweep attempt against India which lost Pakistan the cup. He has continued playing the same shot without any success. A good batsman should be aware of his strength and weakness and must always play to his strength.