Amnesty scheme: Rs40,000 to help tax evaders wipe a Rs5m slate clean

• Wonder how ordinary people the honest tax-payers in Pakistan would feel about it?

If you have been identified as a tax evader, you can wipe the slate clean by paying Rs40,000 for income or assets up to Rs5,000,000.

The government insists this gives 3.8 million tax evaders a last chance to return to the tax net by paying the relatively small amount.

The scheme comes in the shape of a bill changing the tax laws. It was almost binned because of opposition from two key political parties, the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) and Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM).

But then, according to sources, they softened their stance to appease urban voters, who are expected to be the main beneficiaries. The sources added that the Federation of Pakistan Chambers and Industries persuaded the MQM leadership to let the plan go through.

Thus on Tuesday, the National Assembly Standing Committee on Finance and Revenue unanimously approved the changes. The bill will now be put to the lower house of Parliament for approval before the president signs it into law.

• Perhaps finance minister was changed for such things before the Govt goes.

• مال مفت دل بے رحم

• MukMuka Continues!!!

SamJota Express of corrupt protecting each other!

• PPP, PML-N join hands to give amnesty on taxes

ISLAMABAD: In a surprising development, the PML-N on Tuesday extended its support to the PPP-led government for clearing the tax amnesty bill from the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Finance and Revenue, just 10 days ahead of the dissolution of parliament.

"Another Mukmuka"

• See how Noon-league is completely in bed with PPP on this pre-poll rigging at the expense of taxpayer.

We have to defeat this status quo.

• Just giving tax-evaders the protection of law so that in the case PTI Govt. forms, these tax-evaders would have the protection of law. I hope this doesn't go unchecked by Supreme Court and SC takes prompt action on it.

• ^^^How shameless they are.

Where are Noon-league apologists?

• @Arain bhai,

Why are you evading this thread? You are here, we know it.

• چور کا بھائی گرہ کٹ

لوٹ کے کاموں میں دونوں پچھلے پانچ سالوں سے دونوں ایک دوسرے کا بھرپور ساتھ دے رہے ہیں، اب بھلا کسے پیچھے رہ سکتے ہیں.

• I still see no Noon-league supporter on this thread. They don't get tired shamelessly lying through their teeth about PTI helping PPP, yet they are numb on the obvious N00raaKushti and protection of tax chors by Noon-league.

Why is that?

• Imran Khan condemns Tax Amnesty Bill

ISLAMABAD: Chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaaf (PTI) Imran Khan termed the Tax Amnesty Bill a scam and said he will go to the Supreme Court if the bill is approved by the parliament, Roznama Express reported.

• This is an unfortunate trait of your society where people, especially the rich, don't want to pay their fair share of taxes to the government. This is not a new phenomenon; it has been going on for decades. Now, I don't know what's the true reasoning behind this bill. Perhaps the government is so inept that it doesn't see a reasonable possibility of meeting the tax collection numbers they have set in the budget. So, they are trying a shortcut where they may get something.

There is a saying in Punjabi (trnaslated in urdu)

جب سارا جاتا دیکھو تو آدھا لو بچا

But I think it's a mistake because it gives the appearance (or perhaps it is the reality) that government is passing the bill to appease the rich (or tax evaders). Since the rich are in every party, I don't see this law benefiting just one or two particular parties.

Now, I'll hold my judgement till a PMLN spokesman gives an explanation about their support of the bill in the committee.

Remember, the bill hasn't passed from the assembly, so we should wait till the final voting takes place, before we start accusing anybody.

This is the difference between you and me. I can speak up my mind and openly criticize my own leaders on some issues. You, on the other hand, are a true 'pujari' of Imran. You have such a blind faith in him that even if he comes out of a gutter, you would say he smells like roses.

• ^^^Your party is openly part of a scam to protect tax chors and what is your response? Just a weak explanation and blaming the public?

Imran Khan has condemned this.

Your party is part of this legislation.

You will still vote for those who protect corrupts?

Do you know 60% of PPP and Noon MPs don't even file tax return? And you think they will bring reforms and carry out tall claims in their manifestos?

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.