Sen. Rand Paul filibusters vote on CIA director nominee John Brennan over drones

• Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is filibustering the nomination of John Brennan to be director of the CIA, delivering a protracted speech on the Senate floor in protest of the Obama administration's controversial drone program, of which Brennan has been a key architect.

Paul, speaking during the debate surrounding Brennan's nomination on the Senate floor, said he would "speak until I can no longer speak" in order to get his point across.

"I rise today to begin to filibuster John Brennan's nomination for the CIA. I will speak until I can no longer speak. I will speak as long as it takes, until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court," he said.

• Rand Paul's primary concern is use of drones on American citizens on American soil. Senator is still on the floor of the house and is speaking for last 7 hours. This is an old tradition where member can hold the floor as long as he can. A movie 'Mr. Smith goes to Washington' is based on this very tradition, filibuster .

• Hope he is carrying a bag with a catheter.

• Americans have NEVER used drones to kill their citizens on American soil. Mr. Paul, a libertarian and a pure constitutionalist, is protesting against the killing of Anwar al-Aulaqi, a US citizen turned terrorist, who was killed in Yemen in a drone strike. According to Mr. Paul, Aulaqi should have been captured and tried under law.

Frankly speaking, I don't see a point in this debate. Aulaqi was a known terrorist who, following the footsteps of bin Ladin, had vowed to attack US interests throughout the world. The US government was right to kill him when they got the chance. Monsters like Aulaqi don't deserve any better.

• Americans declared as "enemy combatants" needs to be added to the clause, just a technical issue.

John Brennan will be confirmed anyways.

• U.S. armed forces have killed its citizens in overseas combat in the past when the citizens joined the enemy. The argument in the current discourse is not about the “Droning” of Anwar al-Aulaqi but his sixteen years old son, Abdulrahman al-Aulaqi, who was killed in a separate Drone attack in Yemen.

There is an ACLU lawsuit against Leon Panetta on this:

Looks like your connection to Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.