Honor Killing - Woman stoned to death outside Lahore High Court

• LAHORE: A 25-year-old woman was stoned to death by her family outside the Lahore High Court on Tuesday in a so-called “honour” killing for marrying the man she loved, police said.

Farzana Iqbal was waiting for the High Court in Lahore to open when a group of around dozen men began attacking her with bricks, said Umer Cheema, a senior police officer.

Her father, two brothers and former fiance were among the attackers, he said. Iqbal suffered severe head injuries and was pronounced dead in hospital, police said.

All the suspects except her father escaped. He admitted killing his daughter, Cheema said, and explained it was a matter of honour.

Cheema said Farzana had been engaged to her cousin but married another man. Her family registered a kidnapping case against him but Farzana had come to court to argue that she had married of her own free will, he said.

Arranged marriages are the norm among conservative Pakistanis, who view marriage for love as a transgression.

Around 1,000 Pakistani women are killed every year by their families in honour killings, according to Pakistani rights group the Aurat Foundation.

The true figure is probably many times higher since the Aurat Foundation only compiles figures from newspaper reports. The government does not compile national statistics.

Campaigners say few cases come to court, and those that do can take years to be heard. No one tracks how many cases are successfully prosecuted.

Even those that do result in a conviction may end with the killers walking free. Pakistani law allows a victim's family to forgive their killer.

But in honour killings, most of the time the women’s killers are her family, said Wasim Wagha of the Aurat Foundation. The law allows them to nominate someone to carry out the murder, then forgive him.

“This is a huge flaw in the law,” he said. “We are really struggling on this issue.”

http://www.dawn.com/news/1108900

• This is just crazy and the worse part is this is not the first time it has happened.

I dont understand why is it called honor killing? this is not honor killing, this is ignorant killing and how on earth were these animals able to kill the poor girl outside of the court? there is supposed to be police there.

Government should come out and legislate pasand kee shadi is 100% legal.

• @BSObaid Saab

This madness has roots in our culture and religion. When women are treated as second class citizen these sort of events are inevitable.

• true..

kehtay hein jis kaa koi nahi oss kaa allah.

No mention of government.

So non-muslim Pakistanis, women, children they are at the mercy of men and in many cases state stands with the men. They dont legislate against ignnorant killing, right to choose a life partner, right to freely practice their religion.

This is shameful.

If there is one thing that can bring the wrath of god upon us is our treatment of non-muslims Pakistanis (I abhor the word minorities) and women.

• "This madness has roots in our culture and religion"

Whose religion? You are a self-confessed atheist. How come you say "our religion".

If it was your religion, you would have known that religion allows you to choose your wife or husband!!

It is most certainly a social evil amongst some of the uneducated people and not part of the culture.

I suggest you educate yourself before making ill-unformed and ill-advised comments!!!

• اس سے بڑی جہالت کیا ہوگی کہ بہیمانہ قتل کے واقعات کو 'اونر کلنگ' کا نام دیا جائے

• جہالت پر مبنی معاشرتی رسسوم و رواج کی ذلتوں میں جکڑی ہوی بیمار قوم کی کون کون سی بیماری کا ماتم ہوتا رھے گا

• @adnak Saab

اس سے بڑی جہالت کیا ہوگی کہ بہیمانہ قتل کے واقعات کو 'اونر کلنگ' کا نام دیا جائے

I wish you can say same about the Jihad - killings to appease God.

• Fighting for the cause of ALLAH is great honor. This is not for lazy guys. Though I am not in favor of girls leaving their home with the boy and Angry her Parents but she should be given Right to chose Life Partner.

• Why fighting for Allah is good? Why almighty needs foot soldiers? When he can do anything why he needs human help to have his way?

The roots of male chauvinism is perhaps older than religions but unfortunately religions didn't challenge those notion but merely stamped them as divine principles and wishes. It's nothing but crocodile tears and hypocrisy when we defend religious dogmas and condemn such brutalities at the same time.

• @shahidalileghari sahab

Though I am not in favor of girls leaving their home with the boy and Angry her Parents but she should be given Right to chose Life Partner.

Little ambiguous phrase, didn't you mean?

Parent should allow girls to chose her life partner, instead of getting angry, in order to avoid situation when a girl leaves home with the boy.

• کیا یہ واردات اسی مشرقی "خاندانی نظام" کا شاخسانہ ہے جس کی شان میں ابھی کچھ دن پہلے قصیدے پڑھے جا رہے تھے کہ کیسے خاندانی نظام مشرق کو مغرب سے جدا کرتا ہے؟

• آنر کلنگ یعنی غیرت کا کلہاڑی کلچر ----کہاں ھے میرا بھائی، بھائی پھیرو کا فیرو

• Famous Punjabi classical poet, Waris Shah in his magnum opus - Heer, alludes that the honor is just a cultural cover to protect wealth. Chuchak would have never given the hand of his daughter to a working class (Kammi) Ranjha, even if uncle Kaido did not incite his brother of family honor. Marrying a son or a daughter is an instrument to enhance power.

Could there be a room for a 21st century love to eliminate wealth from the equation? An induction of a simple wavier to inheritance by the girl may reduce the threat to that ‘honor’.

• جب تک یہ قوم اپنے فرسودہ آبائی رسم و رواج کو ترک نہیں کرے گی اس وقت تک ایسے بےغیرت اپنی جھوٹی غیرت کا مظاہرہ کرتے رہیں گے۔

ونی، کاروکاری، اور غیرت کے نام پر قتل سب اسلام سے پہلے کے فرسودہ قبائلی رسم و رواج ہیں جو یہاں رائج تھے اور چودہ سو سال گزرنے کے باوجود بھی ہماری قوم ان فرسودہ رسم و رواج سے جان نہیں چھڑا سکی۔

• پاکستان کی ساٹھ لاکھ مسجدوں اور ستر ہزار مدرسوں سے دن رات جہاد کا پرچار کرنے والے ثنا خواں تقدیس مذھب کو اتنی توفیق نہیں کہ وہ اپنے پیرو کاروں کو سمجھا سکیں کہ عورت قربانی کا جانور نہیں

• Shirazi jee

"I wish you can say same about the Jihad - killings to appease God"

I believe in Jihad against

Corruption

Injustice

Nepotism

Poverty

Social evils

Illiteracy

etc.

"Why fighting for Allah is good? Why almighty needs foot soldiers? When he can do anything why he needs human help to have his way?"

These questions revolve in my mind too but no one could give me a convincing answer about that.

• "Why fighting for Allah is good? Why almighty needs foot soldiers? When he can do anything why he needs human help to have his way?"

These questions revolve in my mind too but no one could give me a convincing answer about that.

@adnak Jee

This world or the universe is a test case or a laboratory where Allah the almighty is testing his creation. Since Allah possesses the knowledge of future, he knows well in advance what would be the outcome of this universe but still he keeps playing the game.

He asks his creation to protect the sanctity of life but he has no problem killing sores of humans during earthquakes and other natural disasters, including elderly, women and children.

He demands of his creation to do justice but has no issue in killing the entire nation even if there are innocent children among the dead ('Azaab').

He tells us to be humble and modest but orders his slaves to praise him and thank him day and night for what he has given to the humanity - a total contradiction.

I can go on and on...

Like you I also have questions, but no answers. :-)

• This is plain simple third degree murder and should be dealt as such. That may be the only case, when I want to see all those murderers being prosecuted, convicted and hanged in public till death the same way they murdered that poor soul in front of public.

• @ bechari-awam,

"I want to see all those murderers being prosecuted, convicted and hanged in public till death the same way they murdered that poor soul in front of public."

I SECOND YOUR SUGGESTION