India’s reformer-in-chief

• As a boy, Narendra Modi helped his father sell tea to support their family. Today, he’s the leader of the world’s largest democracy, and his life story—from poverty to Prime Minister—reflects the dynamism and potential of India’s rise.

Determined to help more Indians follow in his path, he’s laid out an ambitious vision to reduce extreme poverty, improve education, empower women and girls and unleash India’s true economic potential while confronting climate change. Like India, he transcends the ancient and the modern—a devotee of yoga who connects with Indian citizens on Twitter and imagines a “digital India.”

When he came to Washington, Narendra and I visited the memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We reflected on the teachings of King and Gandhi and how the diversity of backgrounds and faiths in our countries is a strength we have to protect. Prime Minister Modi recognizes that more than 1 billion Indians living and succeeding together can be an inspiring model for the world.

Obama is the 44th President of the United States

http://time.com/3823155/narendra-modi-2015-time-100/

• That's some endorsement by Obama!

• Someone should ask Mr. President, if you think so highly of him, why did your government refused visa to him before he became PM.

Or becoming PM of India is like going through dry cleaning machine on similar lines as IK/PTI dry cleaning machine.

• As James Carville coined the term

"It's the economy, stupid"

• Shouldn't be a butcher-in-chief ?

• @SD, Modi is a hero for Shirazi who can do no wrong. I have mentioned it previously and he gets angry. He should join Dawn news, they also love anything Indian.

• SD

'butcher-in-chief' was awarded to Shabaiz Sharif.

NM is elected prime minister of india as a result of fair , free & un-controlled elections.

• SA,

NM is elected prime minister of india as a result of fair , free & un-controlled elections

That's even more damning that a butcher of thousands can go on to become a Prime Minister of a country.

• SD,

I think , none of us is indian citizen and its right of indian citizen to elect whoever they want and we should respect that.

Btw, why don't u write something happening in punjab and what happened in model town by butcher SS :) Thats closer to our homes and this forum :)

• Well Modi has a tainted past alleged or real depends on which side of fence I am siting on.

Many Pakistani politicians (some directly in power, some indirectly, some power makers and some power brokers) also have many such allegations.

In both cases it is wrong and is a mockery of justice and humanity.

• @Pervez Saab

I don't like Modi's hardcore religious views but still applaud his dedication, modest background, commitment and self made achiever. In Pakistan our populist leaders are born with golden spoon the Bhuttos the Sharifs. Gujarat riots are black spot on his career like quite a few in shahbaz sharifs but that's not all that defines them. That's whyPresident Obama gave him strong endorsement writing his profile on Time magazines 100 most influential persons.

• " dedication, modest background, commitment and self made achiever" --- All great things and should be appreciated.

"Gujarat riots are black spot on his career" ---- Very sad and tragic.

I am wondering if all the great things are enough to clean the black spot. In my opinion not at all.

I am surprised that people still voted him in and now he gets all the attention.

Same goes for any other politician with such a heinous black spot. Nothing can give them the right to rule.

• @Shirazi Jee,

"Gujarat riots are black spot on his career "

Maybe in your eyes and in the eyes of most of Pakistanis, but most of Indian citizens don't consider that a black spot.

He is their leader and as a rule one needs to give due respect to leaders of other groups, religious or political, without agreeing to their views.

• @Shirazi, He is office only one year so it is too early to make any considered judgement and O can't confer anything. In any case he is your love and love is blind.

• @curiosity, Indians worship COWS, being sensitive to Indians you should at least consider getting your personal god.

• "@curiosity, Indians worship COWS, being sensitive to Indians you should at least consider getting your personal god."

Sorry, I don't understand.

Respecting others doesn't mean changing principles of your own beliefs.

For example, I expect non-Muslims to respect me by not giving me a gift against my religion, eg bottle of wine.

Similarly, I will respect Hindus who consider cow sacred, by not giving any product made out of cow.

• Mr. C, Do you think it is fair action by one State of "Secular Democracy of Bharat" to ban cow meat (beef} consumption by non-Hindu population. I love this secularism.

I suggested that you to have a cow for fun and some people would appreciate your gesture and come to you from far off places to thank you and you may earn the title of Mahatma. Just think of the positive contribution you will make.

• SA,

Why do you feel ashamed or embarrassed if I call the butcher a butcher and that's too when you are not even an indian?

• "I suggested that you have a cow for fun and some people would appreciate your gesture and come to you from far off places to thank you and you may earn the title of Mahatma. Just think of the positive contribution you will make"

I am pretty sure that the religion you claim to follow prohibits you from disrespecting others and making such suggestions, but I am not so sure about the values you acquired from the environment that you grew in.

Thank you!

• Now you want to discuss my childhood and values but not of notorious criminal under discussion. Indeed you don't see your low tactics.