Next Cricket Captain ???

• After Misbah's retirement from ODI Pakistan will soon be appointing new Captain. There is no obvious choice. Partly because the players that were groomed under Misbah's leadership couldn't cement there position in the team and frankly not much emphasis was given to groom the deputy for strategic reasons.

Now we have many potential candidates for the job Younis Khan, Shohaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez, Shahzad Ahmed, Shohaib Maqsood, Umar Akmal, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Wahan Riaz and perhaps few more.

Who 'd you pick and why?

• Hafeez is ahead in the race for captaincy.

• "Hafeez is ahead in the race for captaincy."

Only in Pakistan, the guy who conveniently became injured and avoided ICC test of his bowling in the first week of February just before the WC.

• In a poll conducted by Dawn, 2,948 out of a total 9,147 respondents voted for Wahab to take over as the next ODI captain. Sarfraz Ahmed, with 2,238 votes, was the second choice.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1171572/that-wahab-spell-a-nations-faith-in-pace-restored

• I 'd vote for Sarfaraz as Captain but I doubt he will be. Our board is little too Lahore centric. Wahab is great talent and team player but lets not forget in the awe of his great spell that he was caught on camera exchanging jacket with Mazhar Mujeed in Asif, Salman and Aamir saga. Also, you don't want a genuine fast bolwer as captain who you may want to use selectively.

I am dead against people like Hafeez, Ahmed Shahzad, Harris Sohail, Umar Akmal, Shohaib Maqsood - you can't make them captain when they haven't cemented their place in the side.

• "In a poll conducted by Dawn, 2,948 out of a total 9,147 respondents voted for Wahab to take over as the next ODI captain. Sarfraz Ahmed, with 2,238 votes, was the second choice."

I suppose, since Wahab violated ICC code of conduct he is naturally front runner in a country where majority of people break laws and proudly describe how they have done it.

• Saeed Ajmal would be the best, if he has corrected his bowling action and is also effective

• A captain should be the one who:

1. Is an automatic selection in the team on merit.

2. Possesses is cricketing brain.

3. Commands players' respect (good man-management skills) and

4. Communicates well in English for international media.

The appointment of the captain is up to the PCB and anyone who fits in with the above criteria should be appointed the Captain.

• Well commiunication skills are important but in English perhaps not. He can always use translator. Most of our players are from medicore back ground if we put English as pre-condition that 'd disqualify many for the top job.

• I can understand the difficulty but I believe that once you have a Captain, PCB must use crash courses to help the Captain to communicate in English. I have not seen the translators/interpreters used. Only if someone like Rameez Raja was interviewing Sarfarz, he could switch to Urdu. That is not always going to be the situation.

In my opinion a reasonable command of English will also be a great help to the Captain to face the media and boost his confidence.

• cricket should be banned in pakistan. Misah ul haq should be sent to prison for trail. All asset of board should auctioned and its property should be divided among the poor.my prophecy is fullfilled, i said to bitter truth sahib who was big fan of Misbah ul haq. That Misbah ul haq is curse on pakistan. The criteria on which he was selected as captain is very bogus. He was selected as captain when he made i think fastest test century or fifty.

A lot of Pakistani institution like cricket are very corrupt. What is need for another captain...

• @fear

But that is not cricket!!

• @Fear bhai

The criteria on which he was selected as captain is very bogus. He was selected as captain when he made i think fastest test century or fifty.

Perhaps you are mixing up Misbah and Afridi. Misbah scored fastest hundred in tests and that too very recently. Afridi scored fastest 100 at the commencement of his ODI career. Misbah was made captain when we had no other option after spot fixing saga.

BTW what do you suggest cricket should be replaced by in Pakistan. I hope you are not suggesting no sports in the holly land.

• @Shirazi

Misbah on the whole has been a very calming influence on Pakistan cricket. As a fielding captain I found him as not a "thinking captain" who did not always read the situation and reacted accordingly.

But you have reminded me the situation when he took control. May I now submit my nomination for the future captain?

And yes, it is Salman Butt!!!

• Sherazi sahib you get the point i must admire it. pakistan is land of gods. It doesnt need any sport. People of this land are good in the way of Allah like killing and abusing other. that is their favorite sport when they are told truth they flare up get angry spill the blood their revival teams.

• @Anjaan bhai

Salman Butt was very good. I used to follow him when he was under 17 then 19. He was the product of our domestic infrasturcture and is from a decent educated family. Unfortunately he made a wrong choice but I am for second chance. Looking at our opening issues I think he will soon find place in Pakistan's side but captaincy I am not so sure. When he was made captain I was happy and thought that he would be a long term Captain but ....

• @Shirazi Jee

"Unfortunately he made a wrong choice but I am for second chance. "

Second chance to cheat again!

WoW!!

It is sad that in a country of 180 million, we can't find 11 cricket players and coach who are honest and haven't violated ICC Code of Conduct.

• Second chance to do the right thing - not repeat the same mistake. Since he left 5 years ago we all know what kind of opening talent we got.

-;)

• @Shirazi Jee

"Second chance to do the right thing - not repeat the same mistake."

How many years it took him to accept his guilt?

You only give second chance who accept the guilt soon after their offense.

I can't say much about those who are willing to accept corrupt if they don't have honest talent.

• "How many years it took him to accept his guilt?"

Yes, indeed. He not only did not accept his wrong doing but accused the British media of framing him. I remember watching a TV programme made in which he protested that he had been framed and eventually did accept his wrong doing.

On top of this it should be remembered that he is convicted criminal. Does that not disqualify him from holding such an office?

I am all for the second chance Shirazi provided the wrong doer shows some remorse for the wrong doing.