Muslim cabbie ordered to pay $10k to lesbi ans

• NEW YORK: A Muslim cab driver has been ordered to pay a lesbi an couple $10,000 for telling them to stop kissing in the back of his taxi, a city judge ruled last month.

Mohammed Dahbi, a yellow cab driver in New York City was accused of discriminating against the couple over their sexual orientation by ordering them to “keep that [behaviour] for the bedroom or get out of the cab.”

The passengers, Christy Spitzer and Kassie Thornton were reportedly abused with foul language being called names when they decided to get out of the taxi without paying.

The taxi driver was also ordered to attend anti-discrimination training and to pay a $5,000 civil penalty to the city. However, the city’s Commission on Human Rights, which brought the complaint against Dahbi on behalf of Spitzer and Thornton, still must approve the judge’s decision.

“We felt that what happened to us was wrong and he needed to take responsibility for his actions,” Spitzer, a TV executive, told DNAinfo New York on Friday.

The incident occurred on September 18, 2011, after Spitzer and her dog climbed into Dahbi’s cab at Columbus Circle and drove south to pick up Thornton in Chelsea. When they arrived in Chelsea, Thornton, who had been traveling, put her luggage in the taxi’s trunk, and Dahbi began driving them to Thornton’s home in Sunset Park.

The women testified at the trial that, at West 15th Street in the Meatpacking District, the cab driver told them to stop kissing and “save that behavior for the bedroom.”

Dhabi, during the hearing claimed that he couldn’t keep his eyes on the road and was distracted because Spitzer and Thornton were kissing “heavily” and “touching all over each other.”

Dahbi further told the judge that he found their behavior “distracting” and feared it would make him have an accident.

Spitzer and Thornton both testified at the trial that they had just kissed each other with a “peck on the lips.”

Spitzer also told DNAinfo that she was certain it was only a light peck because she had just had massive dental work done.

“That’s why I’m so aware of what my behavior was in the taxi,” she informed.

After Dahbi gave his ultimatum to get out of the taxi, Thornton told him that he was discriminating against them because they were g ay, according to the decision.

“Don’t make me out to be an a–hole,” Dahbi responded to her, the decision said.

Thornton told the judge that after that comment she didn’t feel comfortable, so she got out of the cab, grabbed her luggage and left.

Spitzer followed shortly after with her dog, according to the decision.

When the women refused to pay him the fare to that point, he hurled expletives at them and sped away.

Dahbi, a married father of four who has been a cabbie for the past 17 years, said at his trial that he was not discriminating against the women because they were g ay.

He further told the judge that for the last few weeks he had been volunteering at a food pantry for a charity called Metropolitan Community Church, which served many g ay homeless individuals.

Shocked at the news, many took to social media to express their views and concerns about the taxi driver’s alleged behavior.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/869698/muslim-taxi-driver-ordered-to-pay-lesbian-couple-10k-for-telling-them-to-stop-kissing/

• Dhabi, during the hearing claimed that he couldn’t keep his eyes on the road and was distracted because Spitzer and Thornton were kissing “heavily” and “touching all over each other.”

Since when 'taxi' has become a bedroom for these animals?

Only donkeys or animals like to have sex in public, its not a human trait but then nothing is impossible in the land of g@ys & lesbi@ns.

• They shouldn't do such things in any cab, specially. It could distract the mind of the driver that could cause fatal accident. This the way I would argue with magistrat were I the solicitor of that cabby. It's also a direct provocation against that cabby's own sex.

Yes, SD Saheb, here you are right, I'm afraid.

• And the irony is the poor driver has been fined not the real culprits.

یعنی الٹا چور کوتوال کو ڈانٹے۔

• These girls r showing umpire's finer.

Is umpire lessbian

Umpire nay ungli kar dee

• what has the world come to...?

• The way things are moving in the western world, the day is not far when even being a straight man or a woman would become a crime.

• Taxi Driver had no right to behave like a Moral Reformer and Preacher.

He should have realized that USA is not an Islamic Republic of United States.

He should have controlled his emotional Shaitan (NAFS) and kept his eyes on the Road like a professional Cab Driver.

Conscientious Kissing is no crime.

I also disagree to the Judgement which is not proportioned to the so called misbehavior of the cab driver.

The amount of $10,000 is too much.

• اصل میں یہ مذہب جب انسان کا اندر آ جاتا تو وہ دوسروں کے کاموں میں مدخلت شروع کر دیتا ہے ، اگر دونوں ایک دوسرے کو چمی دے رہی تھی تو ڈرائیور کو حق نہیں پونچھتا کہ ان کی پرسونل لائف میں انٹرفائر کرے ، ہاں اگر زبردستی کروائی ڈل رہی ہوتی تو پھر اس کو حق تھا ،

١٠٠٠٠ امونٹ اتنی زیادہ نہیں ہے ، ڈرائیور کو دے دینی چاہے کیوں کہ اس نے ان کے جذبات اور احساسات مجروع کے ہیں ، ہو سکتا ہے ڈرائیور کے اندر احساس کمتری ہو کہ یہ دونوں اس کو کیوں نہیں کر رہی ، اچھا فیصلہ ہے

your honor cheif justice

• Will driver behave identical if an straight couple start kissing in his cab? I doubt it. But if assume, kissing distracts him, he would have been fired long ago by his employer. Judge might have fined his discrimination against sexual orientation of passengers.

Regarding amount of $10k fine, hopefully insurance company will pay it, cabbies liability insurance should be in millions of dollars.

• ڈرائیور کے پاس ایک حق ہے کہ کسسنگ کی وجہ سے اس کی توجہ ہٹ رہی ہو گی اور ایسے میں ایکسیڈنٹ ہونے کا خدشہ ہو سکتا ، لوگ زخمی ہو سکتے تھے ، لیکن اس کا پروپر طریقہ ہے ڈرائیور کو ٹیکسی روک دینی چاہے تھی اور کہنا چاہے تھا آپ مزے لے لو ، میں ویٹ کر لیتا ہوں ، لیکن ایسا معلوم ہوتا ہے ڈرائیور بہت زیادہ پرسنل ہے ، مطلب اپنے مذہب کی وجہ سے ، ایک تیسری صورت یہ ہو سکتی ہے ہو سکتا ہے ڈرائیور نے بتمزی نہ کی ہو شیرازی صاحب نے جو آرٹیکل لگایا اس میں ڈالڈا ہو کیوں کہ شیرازی صاحب اکثر ایسے آرٹیکل لگا جاتے ہیں

you honor verdict passed

• Can a professional athlete goes to his employer and complain that big flashing bill boards and cheer leaders distract me. I am not able to concentrate take them down if you want me to perform at my full potential? No he can't because he is expected to maintain his focus despite distractions. If he loses his focus at key moments he can cost the game but if Cabbie loses focus people can get killed. He is expected to be more focused and determined. If he is complaining about the distractions he is in the wrong line of business.

Cabbie worked in some ga y related charity on professional advice to make an argument that he has no issues with sexual orientation of people but Judge didn’t buy his argument completely. When I see two people making out in public and if I am uncomfortable with that I take my eyes off them. I don't approach them and tell them to stop as it’s making me itchy. That's the job of law enforcement officer. I also think $10k penalty is apt and will act as deterrent for Cabbies who may want to enforce their morality on others.

I am not surprised the usual suspects the fundoos of the forum just saw the whole incident from one and only angle they are gifted with - the conservative angle. The same angle that blames women for not dressing modestly instead of man for controlling his raw emotions i case of a rape.

• بہتر تھا کہ ڈرائیور کھیل میں شامل ہونے کی خواہش کا اظہار کر دیتا

اگر ڈرائیور کا رانجھا بھی راضی اور شیطان بھی ٹھنڈا ہو جاتا تو بات عدالت تک نہ پہنچتی

• "بہتر تھا کہ ڈرائیور کھیل میں شامل ہونے کی خواہش کا اظہار کر دیتا"

@javed sheikh

what if the girls weren't 'bi'? the cabbie then would be in jail for harassment instead.

• There is a big difference between 'kissing' and going over each other heavily.

If you read the account of the cab driver, he clearly says that both these women were having close to an orgasm in his cab which clearly is not only a distraction for anyone around them but a nuisance as well.

The question is do these people not get time to have sex in their bedrooms or private places that they have to indulge in such a behavior in a public place?

And also having sex in public is allowed in the U.S.?

• "And also having sex in public is allowed in the U.S.?"

As a Pakistani, before asking this question, one should ask same question about Pakistan and doesn't it happen in Pakistan in public?

• @SD Saab

If you read the account of the cab driver, he clearly says that both these women were having close to an orgasm in his cab

How did he know they are getting close to orgasm?

• doesn't it happen in Pakistan in public?

in public?

No! Never in Pakistan

• Shirazi,

Read his account in the news article. Doesn't say orgasm but means the same.

• @Dar Saab

He said,

Dhabi, during the hearing claimed that he couldn’t keep his eyes on the road and was distracted because Spitzer and Thornton were kissing “heavily” and “touching all over each other.”

Dahbi further told the judge that he found their behavior “distracting” and feared it would make him have an accident.

And you took a liberty to equate it with orgasm. :)

The police is there to stop indecent exposure in public like if someone is roaming naked. The Cabbie thought he is in holy land and can impose his morals on others - $10k is not a bad price for his screwed up brain.