Pakistan will likely use US weapons against Baloch insurgents, India: Haqqani

• Pakistan will likely use US weapons against Baloch insurgents, India: Haqqani

Husain Haqqani, who has been living under self-imposed exiled in the US since 2012, believes the US government is committing a mistake by selling weapons to Pakistan as they will be used to “fight or menace” India.

In a scathing piece in the Wall Street Journal, the former ambassador to the US (2008-11) questioned the Obama administration’s recent decision to sell almost $1 billion in US-made attack helicopters, missiles to Pakistan. Interestingly, the headline of the article reads “Why are We Sending This Attack Helicopter to Pakistan?” Last time we checked, Haqqani was still a Pakistani citizen but things may have changed since then.

Haqqani felt the weapons sale will fuel conflict in South Asia without fulfilling the objective of helping Pakistan fight terrorism. “Pakistan’s failure to tackle its jihadist challenge is not the result of a lack of arms but reflects an absence of will,” wrote Haqqani, arguing that the arms race with India remains to be the dominant force in Pakistan’s foreign and domestic policies.

The former ambassador has been residing in the US since 2012 after being accused of sending a memo to US Defense Department that asked for help in reining in the Pakistan military. “The US has fed Pakistan’s delusion of being India’s regional military equal. Seeking security against a much larger neighbor is a rational objective but seeking parity with it on a constant basis is not,” wrote Haqqani.

He believed that US officials should convince Pakistan to give up its hopes of attempting to rival a country with a population six times as large and economy 10 times as big.

“It’s a mystery why the president suddenly trusts Pakistan’s military—after mistrusting it at the time of the Navy SEAL operation in May 2011 that found and killed Osama bin Laden living safely until then in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad,” Haqqani wrote, while wondering if the US government is just simply lazy in its approach with Pakistan. “Selling helicopters and missiles is easier than thinking of alternative strategies to compel an errant ally to change its behavior.”

The former ambassador believes the equipment to be provided by the US – 15 AH-1Z Viper helicopters and 1,000 Hellfire missiles – will be used against insurgents in Balochistan, bordering Iran, and along the disputed border in Kashmir rather than against militants in tribal areas.

“If the Obama administration believes Pakistan’s military has really changed its priorities, it should consider leasing helicopters to Pakistan and verify where they are deployed before going through with outright sales,” the ambassador suggests.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/872890/pakistan-will-likely-use-us-weapons-against-baloch-insurgents-india-haqqani/

• And this SoB was our ambassador to the US representing Government of Pakistan .

Who needs enemies when we have ambassadors like these?

• SD Saheb

It's not only him in this hammaam. ISI got a very long list of such traitors.

• @Dar Saab

Is he wrong? Army is not going to use these weapons against Bolouch insurgents or India in active or proxy war?

Are they traitor too?

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6w4B5HT-wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6w4B5HT-wE

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkeKt5953Fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkeKt5953Fs

• Are we in position to spend $1B on weapons? What did we get out of these weapons. We are not in position to tell GCC countries please keep us out of your adventures. We don't have money for clean water, electricity and other infrastructure projects and we are buying billion dollars weapons from US. No body in Pakistan dares to criticize GHQ's acumen and if someone like Honorable Ambassador is daring from overseas the PMLN pithus are opening threads to label him traitor reiterating GHQ's talking points. When I see the political wisdom coming out of Dar and Pervez Saab's keyboards I really wish umpire had raised their finger.

• Shirazi Saheb

Indeed a very powerful speech of Ch. Aitzaz. But he never delivered such speeches when his own bosses were in power.

Why didn't he protest when his boss namely Asif Ali Zardari

let Mushi go with every single protocol?

Shirazi Saheb

Being a very intelligent and highly knowledgeable person you ought to know how difficult it is to run a state such as Pakistan. On other hand, I do understand what you mean here, and I also agree with your views in general. Also I'm not any fan of this or any military interference in civil matters. But, on other hand, no country can neglect its military might at all. As you know, we live in a world full of jungle where the rule of "eat, or be eaten" exists in full. Specially this jehad mentality has destroyed Pakistan more than anything else, unfortunately.

• @JA Khan Saab

We don't live in the Jungle - we are among the dealiest animal of the jungle. Before we had nuclear capablity we used to export terror in our neighborhood, after nuclear capability we started exporting terror all over the globe. Hussain Hiqqani has valid point - these sort of arms sales will trigger arms race in South Asia. Instead of spending our limited resources to pull people out of poverty we (both India and Pakistan) will be giving billions to US to increase their per capita from $50k to $60k.

As far as Atizaz or Asif's speeches are concerned I said before no one dares to bring up these lavish defense expenditures living in Pakistan.

Look at Bangladesh even they are better than us now - not just in cricket but their economy as well. Why don't they become part of this arms race? Because Generals take back seat there.

• @Shirazi Jee

"Are we in position to spend $1B on weapons? "

Who says Pakistan is spending its money. This is part of $1.5B given to NS so that Pakistan use it to supply weapons and mercenaries to KSA and its clients. Pakistan is doing back fill on the weapons provided to those fighting for KSA and its ideology.

You think only people do money laundering.

• @Curiousity Jee

That's highly probable but let's not forget KSA is buying $80B worth of weaponary from US this ayear alone.

• @Shirazi Jee

"That's highly probable but let's not forget KSA is buying $80B worth of weaponary from US this ayear alone."

When USA sells weapons, it places severe restrictions as to where it can be used. Most likely the weapons funneled through Pakistan to KSA clients are not made in USA.

• On top of the list of traitors should be

Bhagori, nigori and buzdil foj, the number one destroyer of pakistan

• Couldn't agree more Gulraiz Jee.

• Shiraz Saheb and gulraiz Saheb

That is a jungle of Pakistan which is a mish-mash of every impossible and unthinkable facts. However, I'm with both of you to a great extent.

• Thx shirazi G

Finally v agreed on the most important issue

Kids r dying of hunger in Thur and these haramies r buying 8 submarines, each costs 325 million dollars

Abay kya hathyar dalnaY kay lee a nato ka iSlaha kafee nahi hay which these harami imported them self in the name of nato

• "Kids r dying of hunger in Thur and these haramies r buying 8 submarines, each costs 325 million dollars"

This is because the so-called civilian rulers make back room deals with army that you let be rule / exploit the masses and army will get all toys they can think off.

• I'm enjoying the excitement of some people over Haqqani's statement. There is no objectivity here and I don't need to comment. You go ahead and have your hate fest.

• This is because the so-called civilian rulers make back room deals with army that you let be rule /

Xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

What ppl r doing

Why they don't raise voice against these deals.

V need food, not these which will be useless after sometime

Where r sindhi nationalist, perhaps in army patloon

Where s punjab civil society, perhaps they close eyes like pig-eon

Nowc himgadars and chachoondars will call us traitor too bcz v fingered the holicow. V want convert this holicow into holocow

Come on guys raise voice against army budget and these useless arm deal with our best friend china

• @Pervez Saab

There is not much you or other PMLN pithus can say here to defend GHQ. It's good to enjoy the show from the sidelines after opening a crappy thread.

• @Shirazi, I have nothing to do with PMLn or GHQ. In all my comments have not supported either of them. Now you have found a soulmate in Haqqani. Like I have told you before that love is blind. Why don't you just enjoy it. Did I stop you?

• Are we in position to spend $1B on weapons? What did we get out of these weapons. We are not in position to tell GCC countries please keep us out of your adventures. We don't have money for clean water, electricity and other infrastructure projects and we are buying billion dollars weapons from US. No body in Pakistan dares to criticize GHQ's acumen and if someone like Honorable Ambassador is daring from overseas the PMLN pithus are opening threads to label him traitor reiterating GHQ's talking points. When I see the political wisdom coming out of Dar and Pervez Saab's keyboards I really wish umpire had raised their finger.

Modi fanboy explaining his heart out.

BTW, did you raise the same alarm bells when your mahatama and butcher-in-chief inked the deal for French Rafale?

The moment Pakistan looks for its legitimate defense needs the indian lobby gets activated immediately.

Personally I am not in favor of buying any defense related equipment from the Americans due to the bad experience in the past. US is an unreliable partner and Pakistan should look to China & Russia for such deals.