Among the Believers

• Among the Believers review – portrait of radical Islam in Pakistan veers from balance to condemnation

Fifteen minutes into your first film theory class, and you’ll learn how no documentary can ever be objective. There’s point of view in every cut. What I like about Among the Believers, a portrait of radical Islam in Pakistan, is how the first two-thirds of the movie strives to remain as balanced as possible.

Directors Hemal Trivedi and Mohammed Ali Naqvi profileMaulana Abdul Aziz, the controversial head of the chain of madrassas led by Islamabad’s Red Mosque, and do their best to counter accusations of brainwashing and implicit support of violent criminal acts. The Red Mosque takes in an orphaned child. Their coffers aid a sick, elderly man. This is the evidence that is often presented by groups accused of terrorism. Then, as he organisation’s rhetoric becomes unbearable, the movie delivers a full-throated condemnation.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/17/among-the-believers-review

• Tribeca Film Festival: Among the Believers

documentary showing the Red Mosque in Pakistan is one of the hits of this year’s Tribeca Film Festival. Tom Brook discusses the festival with BBC Culture film critic Owen Gleiberman and Aisha Harris, culture writer for Slate.

“I found it alarming, but most of all I found I illuminating. It’s a portrait of Maulana Aziz, who runs the Red Mosque in Pakistan, which is basically the recruiting series of madrasses,” says film critic Owen Gleiberman, describing the documentary Among the Believers. “You see these children being indoctrinated, where all day long all they do is memorise the Koran.”

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150420-face-to-face-with-a-boy-jihadist

• Film on Maulana Abdul Aziz well-received at film festival in New York

KARACHI: Among the Believers, a documentary featuring the Red Mosque in Islamabad, has emerged as one of the biggest hits at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival.

In this documentary film, directors Hemal Trivedi and Mohammed Ali Naqvi take viewers through the recent history of the country’s ideological clash between moderate and fundamentalist forces.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/873463/film-on-maulana-abdul-aziz-top-hit-at-film-festival-in-new-york/

• Waseem bhai from Canada made a sincere suggestion to Mulana Abdul Aziz not to speak to media men as they have evil designs and can trick Moulana to say what they want to hear. Moulana Saab didn't pay any attention to Waseem bhai and the result is yet another disastrous performance. Thats how he is but he doesn't need to project himself on camera. He makes the life of Waseem bhai and co. difficult who are trying hard to bring up softer side of this radical Sunni fanatic.

• شیرازی جی

کوئی دس سال پہلے مجہے ہالینڈ کے ایک دوست کی طالبان کی مادر علمی دارلعلوم حقانیہ کی دستاویزی فلم بنانے میں مدد کرنا پڑی . ان لوگوں کی پرفارمنس اتنی زبردست تھی کہ گمان گزرتا تھا کہ ان لوگوں کا انتہا پسندی سے دور دور کا واسطہ نہیں ہے . کمپیوٹر روم پی ایچ ڈی کے لیے رجسٹرڈ محقق کسی بھی گوشے کی عکس بندی کی اجازت . اس فلم کو اس ادارے کے خلاف استعمال کرنا تقریبا نامکن تھا . لیکن ملّا عبدل عزیز ہمیشہ کی طرح سادہ ، بے باک یا بے وقوف ہے . ویسے مجہے موم بتیوں والے اگرچہ زیادہ تر میرے شناسا ہیں اتنے ہی ہونق لگتے ہیں

ویسے مجہے وسیم صاحب کی آخری وڈیو پر پابندی پر اب بھی اعتراض ہے خصوصا اگر آپ کے اڈمن ہونے والی افواہ درست ہے

• @Zindadil Saab

There is absolutely no reality in rumors that I am among the admins of the forum. Looking forward to this movie ...

• Why should he worry, he knows that he has full support of the government behind him.

Civil society is so timid that they are not willing to take him head on.