Should Amir be allowed to represent Pakistan?

• A lot has been written and discussed in various forums on whether Amir should be allowed to represent Pakistan.

Those who favour his return has often cited his young age when he committed the crime, the punishment that he has suffered and his talent as the rationale to allow him to become part of Pakistan cricket team once again.

Then there are those who think that since he has committed a crime and has tarnished the image of Pakistan, hence he is no more eligible for representing Pakistan.

I am at cross roads:

• Thinking purely selfishly, I support Amir to represent Pakistan as currently Pakistan doesn’t have any consistent match winner fast bowler. This selfishness doesn’t support Salman Butt as he is not a consistent performing batsman and Asif who is most probably over his prime by now.

• When I think long term, I am of the opinion that Amir should not be allowed to represent Pakistan as it will clearly communicate a message that such behaviour will not be tolerated regardless of the need. If such standards are not set we do leave the room open for others to do commit crimes and then sneak back in the team after serving punishment (if caught)

• Thinking from a human and social perspective, I am wondering if someone who has already been punished can be shunned and discriminated against. If yes, then what is the purpose of punishment?

The problem is that we don’t have consistent standards. We do tolerate behaviours e.g. Shahid Afridi (often Anjaan sahib has shared the instances where Afridi has tried to create rough marks on the pitch and has been caught on camera with tempering the ball) who is a mediocre performer for most part of his career and has been caught doing things which created enough doubts of his tempering and yet he is part of the team and even captain for T20 team.

Even if Amir is not allowed to represent Pakistan, what is the guarantee that future administration of BCCP will uphold the law and principles and will be strict?

Cricket is the only sport where Pakistan has some standing. We are already wiped out of the sports map when it comes to any other sport. Even then our cricket affairs are not managed professionally. We have not been able to develop good players in the last few years. We let Saeed Ajmal continue to perform without helping him correct his action and by the time it had to be done, it was all over. Now we have another case where our only current match winner bowler may face a ban as he is allegedly involved in using banned substance. Do our cricket administrators even know how to manage the players, coach them and educate them so that they don’t end up using banned substance?

We don’t play well when it comes to test cricket except in UAE. Our ODI and T20 approach is reminiscent of another age. Will Amir help us revive our glory days or is it just another decoy to take attention away from sorry affairs of our current cricket structure?

Sorry for typo and grammer mistakes.

• @hypocrite sahib

You've raised some valid points, especially around the double standards. You're spot on that PCB is willing to forgive Amir because there is a general feeling that Amir can bring victories, but we don't see many advocating for other disgraced players.

I disagree with you that Amir has served his sentence/punishment and thus deserves to be in the team. He was in the jouvi prison for a short period of time. That isn't a real prison, it's more like a college hostel. He should have been arrested upon his return and spent some time in a Pakistani jail for bringing shame to the nations, a much serious and bigger crime.

Look at the what his potential return has done to the morale of his teammates. There are decisions amognst players, some are showing serious reservations. How can a team perform in these circumstances?

Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor, was my favorite cyclist. Every year, I used to watch a month long Tour De France where Lance dominated year after year. But then rumors started surfacing that he cheated and used performance enhancement drugs. He denied at the start but then had to admit. He was a role model and an icon for youngsters but in the end he proved to be nothing but a cheater.

• @hypocrite

"Should Amir be allowed to represent Pakistan?"

That indeed is the question.

Unlike you I am not at the Cross Roads. I am very clear that your second option "Long Term thinking" is the correct way forward.

From a personal or human point of view, I do not see that he is being shunned away. He is playing domestic cricket. With PCB's blessing he has participated in BPL and has been drafted in to play in PSL. That does not equate with Shunning. However, in my opinion, he should not be allowed to represent Pakistan and this also applies on the other two convicts. That is the only way, the other current players and the future players will be deterred from the wrong doings.

• disagree with you that Amir has served his sentence/punishment and thus deserves to be in the team. He was in the jouvi prison for a short period of time. That isn't a real prison, it's more like a college hostel. He should have been arrested upon his return and spent some time in a Pakistani jail for bringing shame to the nations, a much serious and bigger crime.

Qara sahib

Thanks fro your comment in response to my post.

As far as your above comment is concerned, my position is that Amir was treated according to law. He was not treated differently. If the law allows under 19 to spend time in a jouvi prison, it is not Amir's fault. I believe Asif and Salman did spent time in proper prison because of their age.

If we have law to punish someone again after the person goes through a punishment, lets enforce it. In absence of such law, we cannot discriminate against a person.

I am in favour of following law. If law debars a person to participate in sports after committing spot fixing, then Amir should not be allowed to participate. If the law doesnt allow an offender to represent the country then Amir should not be allowed regardless of his age, his talent and the need to use him as a match winner.

If we dont follow law and use case by case treatment methods based on my or anyone else's desire or logic or emotion regardless if it makes sense or not)we will have a lawless society. Just my opinion.

• @hypocrite

PCB has its own rules which are totally independent of Pakistan Penal Code. PCB can ban a player for a limited period or even for life for violation of the code of conduct for players.

Unfortunately, PCB does not exercise discipline on players. Shahid Afridi is a case study. PCB banned him for two years for dope and then within 2 months removed the ban. When Afridi dug up the Rawalpindi test pitch, no action was taken against him. When he decided that he will attempt to eat a cricket ball at Lords cricket ground in the presence of 14 cameras all around the ground, PCB did not take any action. Instead he made Captain of ODI and T20 teams.

The Point I am trying to make that, lack of appropriate action by PCB leads to the young and upcoming players to believe that if the do anything wrong the will be forgiven and it will be all right in the end. Therefore, even though it may be a bit harsh on Amir, he should not be allowed to represent Pakistan and it will act as a deterrent for the future up-coming players.