Against all odds

• Against all odds, Donald Trump emerged as the strongest person on this planet. Was it upset, I think not, not by miles. Democrat presidents in the past were playing stick and carrot games with terrorism with the result, to some extent, the terrorism made inroads in the “land of free”. Democrats policy was not so effective in their efforts for eliminating the terrorism on one hand, and on the other hand, American slid down big time on the economic graph. This was long being felt by majority of Americans. Democrats remained careful not to use a harsh language against all the immigrant Americans specially Muslim American. But hate pain was brewing up big time amongst nascent Americans. The psyche built up in white Americans that forms majority, Donald Trump knew and used it brutally during his election campaign. All the minus indicators of speech against women, sex harassment/assault eclipsed behind the strong factor when Trump kept on shouting against immigrants. All the immigrants some sensitive woman quarters went against Trump but made only 15-20% of the votes. The majority of Americans thought he was speaking what was in their own heart.

But, as the President of United States, we might see a different Trump, a balanced Trump in his policies. One must not forget that the Establishment (Pentagon, CIA, FBI, Defence) plays an important role in formulating the external and internal policies of USA. No doubt, the President has the final say, but Establishment’s deliberations on policies in Oval, when Trump would chair the meetings, the latter would remodel his harsh stances on things to deal with.

It would be interesting to watch how Donald Trump tackles the train of problems in which the country is traveling in at this point in time.

• Trump's campaign was organized on three things

a) illegal immigration
    b) job killing trade pacts aka Globalization
    c) needless wars

and what was Hillary's mantra - he tweets, he gropes how can he be trusted? come on no ideas of her own. Democrats screwed up when they picked Hillary Clinton. If we had Bernie or Joe Biden we wouldn't have lost blue color white American vote. The very base of Democratic party.

• I'm a little disappointed not to see the first woman president of US but he won fair and square. Although both have a the same vote share, 59 million each with 98% reporting. Actually she is running ahead of him by a couple of hundred thousands in popular vote. After all votes are counted, I suspect she will have close to half a million mote lead. So, sure he won the electoral college state by state but that's not a mandate. The country is divided evenly.

I feared for a long time that the democrats are underestimating Trump's economic message, especially in the blue-collar Midwestern states that decided this election. Obama did revive the auto industry there to an extent but millions of jobs were lost in the last two decades to China and India. So when a candidate says he is going to tax American companies that ship job outside, impose a tax on all goods that are being imported into the country, eliminate H1-B type of foreign worker visa programs to save local jobs, and renegotiate unfair deals with other countries, that's a very powerful message. I doubt he can deliver on his promises but these were populist positions, not necessarily conservative positions of a party he represented.

Clinton had no slogan, none at all, except that she would continue Obama's policies. That's a hard sell for a 3rd term.

He did get more black and Hispanic votes than Romney so we can't call it a "Whitelash".

• Michael Moore, the famous liberal and a documentary filmmaker wrote an article a few couple of months ago and listed 5 reason why Trump would win the election. His fellow liberals thought he was trying to energize democratic party voters to not take the elections easy (to an extent he was).

His prediction came true, word by word.

• Midwest Math, or Welcome to Our Rust Belt Brexit

• The Last Stand of the Angry White Man

• The Hillary Problem

• The Depressed Sanders Vote

• The Jesse Ventura Effect

A very good article

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

• @Qarar sahib:
    You have a deep insight overall vision on American political and social realities being a broad minded person and most importantly you are in person there. I had made a little search on causes for this unexpected election results on which I would like your views. You can reject my points outright

• The media of USA only focuses international issues and problems of urban class whereas a little is discussed and thought about the rural areas of USA which forms the major population. Donald Trump in his innocence or as a matured politician touched the rural issues which did not come for discussion in mostly media platforms. That is why it was a surprise for media.

• On international issues Trump, having no political acumen, still spoke some straight ideas. For example, he said there was no need for jumping in Iraq which constantly eaten out American economy with no cogent gain. In nutshell he emphasized a drastic shift in American police policy.

• He wants an iron curtain around USA for future immigrants so that job opportunities for white American should improve. (which, I think, attracted common white men). In that he wants an extreme Homeland security formation, strict visa policy, and leave Iraq and Afghanistan immediately.

• He has a soft corner for Russia, meaning thereby, a soft and cordial relation with them – in other words, end of second cold war.

• He wants closer relations with India and wants to use her as a powerful check on “rogue” Pakistan.

• Trump spent 8 times less than Hillary, Hillary's ground game was almost 8 times Trump. Trump got unbelievable negative media. Hillary had all the star power from Hollywood to sports celebrities, ex and sitting Presidents, VPs, first lady and what not still her crowd sizes were fraction of Trump's. Trump didn't over perform but Hillary under performed. Trump got 60M votes almost same # of votes McCain got in 2008 or Romney in 2012. The difference is Obama got 69M in 2008 and 65M in 2012 Hillary barely touched 60M.

In 2008 Obama crushed Hillary because of her Iraq vote and in 2016 Trump trumped her because of her support to trade agreements. She tried to back track on both occasions but failed. If Democrats had either Bernie or Joe Biden things would be very different in rust belt state. The blue color working class white men who used to be the core of labor unions and once form the base of the Democratic party rightfully felt deceived by Democrats. Trump might not have offered them solutions and at least give voice to their concerns.

Trump went after McCain, POWs, Gold Star family, women, fox news and the list goes on and on. Despite all that he won. That tells you how bad Hillary Clinton was as candidate.

• دس سال قبل میں نے امریکی برانڈ کی کار خریدی تھی - ایک امریکی شہری اور ریاست مشیگن کا رہائشی ہونے کیوجہ سے سب میرے لئے اس کار میں سب سے پرکشش بات یہ تھی کہ یہ پوری کی پوری مکمل طور پر ریاست مشیگن میں تیار ہوئی تھی - اب سے چار ماہ قبل ایک حادثے کی وجہ سے اس کار کا سامنے کے ونڈ شیلڈ کا شیشہ ٹوٹ کے چکنا چورہوگیا تو مجھے معلوم ہوے کہ ایک میری کار کا شیشہ اور اس سے منسلک آئیڈیلزم ہی نہیں بلکہ اس ملک میں بہت سے لوگوں کا بہت کچھ ٹوٹ کے بکھر چکا ہے - اس ٹوٹ پھوٹ سے پیدا ہونے والے ملبے سے ایک کاروباری نےسونا بنالیا اور امریکی صدارت حاصل کرلی ،
    مجھے انشورنس والوں نے یہ بتایا کہ نیا شیشہ انشورنس کمپنی لگوائیگی مگر وہ شیشہ لگوائیگی جو میکسکو سے بن کر آتا ہے - میرے لئے یہ بات کافی تکلیف دہ تھی کہ میری خالص مشیگن کی گاڑی میں غیر ملکی ملاوٹ ہو جائیگی - مگر میری یہ تکلیف پریکٹکل قسم کی نہیں بلکہ اسکا تعلق جذبات یا آئیڈیلزم سے تھا - مگر دراصل جو کچھ بکھر چکا ہے وہ بہت زیادہ اہم ، حقیقی اور مقدار میں میرے تصورات سے بہت زیادہ ہے - مشیگن اور اس سے منسلک ریاستوں میں بسنے والے لاکھوں افراد کا بہت کچھ ٹوٹ کے بکھر چکا ہے-
    مشیگن ، وسکانسن ، اوہایو اور پنسلوانیا کے لاکھوں محنت کش جو کہ مختلف منفکتچرنگ کارخانوں میں مزدوری کر رہے تھے جنہیں یہاں بلیو کالر کہا جاتا ہے - ایسے افراد کی اکثریت سفید فام لوگوں پر مشتمل تھی - یہ لوگ مسلسل پچھلے کئی انتخابات میں ڈیموکریٹ کے امیدواروں کو ووٹ دیتے رہے تھے - جن کارخانوں میں یہ مزدوری کیا کرتے تھے انکی مصنوعات نہ صرف امریکہ میں بلکہ کینیڈا اور میکسکو میں بھی انکی مصنوعات کی بڑی منڈی تھی -
    مگر تجارت کی پالیسیوں کو مزید آزاد کرنے کی حکمت عملی جو نافٹا کی شکل میں بل کلنٹن کے دور میں تیز ہوئی تھی وہ اب رنگ لانا شروع کر چکی ہے - ایک اندازے کے مطابق میکسکو کے مقابلے میں امریکہ کا تجارتی خسارہ پونے دو سو بلین ڈالر تک تجاوز کر چکا ہے - پچھلے بیس سالوں میں ساڑھے آٹھ ملین بلیو کالر لوگوں کا روزگار یا تو ختم ہوا ہے یا شدید طریقے سے متاثر ہوا ہے -
    مگر سب سے زیادہ اہم بات - اوباما نے اس آزاد تجارت کا دائرہ کار بر اعظم ایشیا اور آسٹریلیا تک بڑھانے کا سلسلہ ٹی پی پی کی شکل میں شروع کیا جسکی ہلری کلنٹن نے ابتدا میں کھل کے حمایت اور بارنی سنڈرز نے پرائمری کمپین کے دوران اوہایو اور وسکنسن دونوں ہی جگہ اس پر نکتہ چینی اور مخالفت کی - اس پرائمری کمپین کے ابتدائی دور میں ہلری کلنٹن نے ٹی پی پی اور فری تجارت کی حمایت میں یہ موقف پیش کیا تھا کہ امریکیوں کو بہت سی مصنوعات کی قیمت میں کمی سے امریکی صارف کو سستے داموں مصنوعات ملیں گی جبکہ بارنی سینڈرز نے مشیگن کے دورے میں دو بڑی یونیورسٹیوں کے تحقیقی حوالے دیکر یہ ثابت کیا تھا کہ اس فری ٹریڈ کے بڑھانے سے قیمتوں میں کمی کا فائدہ بہت معمولی ہے جبکہ بیروزگاری کے بڑھنے کا خطرہ بہت زیادہ ہے
    ان ریاستوں میں بلیو کالر کام کرنے والے لوگوں میں ڈیموکریٹ پارٹی کے سرگرم کارکنوں کی ایک بہت بڑی کھیپ شامل تھی جنکا روزگار پچھلے چند سالوں میں بری طرح متاثر ہوا ہے - یہ ڈیموکریٹ پارٹی کے سرکردہ ورکر فری تجارت کو اپنے روزگار کے چھن جانے کا سبب قرار دیتے تھے - اور باقی لاکھوں مزدوروں جو کہ عرصہ سے ڈیموکریٹ کے ووٹر ہیں ، انکے ساتھ ملکر بارنی سینڈرز کے حامی بن گۓ - انھوں نے بارنی سینڈرز کے فری تجارت کے خلاف واضح موقف کو اپنی گٹھی میں باندھ لیا تھا - وہ ہلری سے نالاں تھے کہ اس نے اس ہی فری تجارت کو بڑھانے کے لئے بھرپور حمایت کی جس نے بلاخر ان سے انکا روزگار چھنوا دیا - گو کہ ہیلری نے بعد ازاں، خاص طور پر مشیگن میں بارنی سنڈرز سے غیر متوقع شکست کے بعد اپنا موقف تبدیل کیا تھا مگر یہ ان لوگوں کے لئے کافی نہیں تھا -

ڈیموکریٹ کی صدارتی کمپین کے تابوت میں آخری دو کیلیں
    ١) ڈیموکریٹس نے بارنی سینڈرز (یعنی سفید فام بلیو کالر مزدوروں کا دوست) کے مقابلے میں ہیلری (دشمن ) کو اپنا صدارتی امیدوار چن لیا
    ٢) ڈانلڈ ٹرمپ نے ٹرمپ کارڈ یانی ترپ کا پتہ پھینک دیا- یہ ٹرمپ کارڈ اسے بارنی سینڈرز کی صدارتی امیدواری کی کمپین کے ملبے سے ملا- ٹرمپ نے ٹی پی پی کے خلاف ہرزہ سرائی شروع کردی - غور کیجیے کہ ٹرم کی یہ ہرزہ سرائی پولنگ تک مسلسل انہی ریاستوں میں جاری رہی
    وسکانسن ، مشیگن اور پنسلوانیا کے علاوہ اوہایو اور آیووا وہ ریاستیں تھیں جو پچھلی دہایوں سے ڈیموکریٹ کی ووٹر تھیں ، جہاں بلیو کالر سفید فام ایک بڑی تعداد میں تھے ، یہی ڈانلڈ ٹرمپ کا آخر تک ہدف رہے -وہ آخر تک انہی ریاستوں میں ٹرمپ کارڈ چلاتا رہا اور الیکشن کے نتائج میں ہلری کلنٹن کی صدارت کے خواب میری کار کی ونڈ شیلڈ کی مانند ریزہ ریزہ ہر جگہ بکھرے ہوے تھے -
    میری کار کا شیشہ ، اس سے وابستہ آئیڈیلزم ، لاکھوں مزدوروں کا روزگار اور اس سے وابستہ خشگوار زندگی کے خواب ، بارنی سینڈرز کی پرائمری کمپین اور ہلری کے صدارت کے خواب ، یہ سب آپس ریزہ ریزہ ہوچکے ہیں اور ان سب کے ملبے سے ڈانلڈ ٹرمپ کی صدارت بن چکی ہے -

• @imtiazahmed said in Against all odds:

@Qarar sahib:
    You have a deep insight overall vision on American political and social realities being a broad minded person and most importantly you are in person there. I had made a little search on causes for this unexpected election results on which I would like your views. You can reject my points outright

• The media of USA only focuses international issues and problems of urban class whereas a little is discussed and thought about the rural areas of USA which forms the major population. Donald Trump in his innocence or as a matured politician touched the rural issues which did not come for discussion in mostly media platforms. That is why it was a surprise for media.

• On international issues Trump, having no political acumen, still spoke some straight ideas. For example, he said there was no need for jumping in Iraq which constantly eaten out American economy with no cogent gain. In nutshell he emphasized a drastic shift in American police policy.

• He wants an iron curtain around USA for future immigrants so that job opportunities for white American should improve. (which, I think, attracted common white men). In that he wants an extreme Homeland security formation, strict visa policy, and leave Iraq and Afghanistan immediately.

• He has a soft corner for Russia, meaning thereby, a soft and cordial relation with them – in other words, end of second cold war.

• He wants closer relations with India and wants to use her as a powerful check on “rogue” Pakistan.

Imtiaz sahib,
    I'm not expert in American politics but I'll offer my 2 cents on your four points:

1. American media generally doesn't focus on international issues unless there is a war. You'll be surprised how little ordinary Americans know about the foreign leaders. Gary Johnson, libertarian candidate who got 2% votes couldn't name a single foreign leader who he knew and or respected. It's true that most media houses are liberal or project liberal views, Fox News is all about conservative (what you refer to as rural) views. Media is surprised because no opinion poll projected Trump to win, and after so many scandals, most political pundits didn't expect him to win.

2. Trump was the candidate of the Publicans, who are rural and conservative but he adopted populist positions that were at odds with his own party. As you pointed our War was one of those issues where majority of Republicans supported the Iraq war. Similarly, he sees NATO as the thing of the past, a position not shared my conservatives.

3. Immigration was his top issue. You are right that it attracted most conservative white men and women. His position on immigration is the reason he won his party's nomination. But the biggest reason he won some key states and the general election is that he promised to voters that he would not only stop companies from shipping jobs outside US but also discourage them from hiring foreign workers. He said that he would teach China and others a lesson for artificially manipulating their currency to keep it under valued to get trade advantages. This message played very well in industrial states that lost lots of jobs in last two decades.

4. Finally, yes, he does have a soft corner for Russia because he sees radical Islam as the biggest threat than anything else. He openly suggested combining efforts with Russia in eliminating ISIS. Against this policy is not very popular in his own party.

• I recall Trump once said he will let Russia handle Syria meaning he doesn't have a problem with Syrian Gov't. He will let Russia support Asad and go after ISIS and other rebel groups. If he is able to do that it will be huge because Hillary had no plan whatsoever on Syria.

He has to build the wall. He cannot back track from his biggest campaign promise. He also promised he will bring manufacturing jobs back. He didn't give much specifics how will he do that but I am sure he will do something about it. He also threatened he may pull US out of WTO if WTO bindings are killing jobs in US.

These are some radical tough ideas let's see if he can live up to them.

• I’m a Muslim, a woman and an immigrant. I voted for Trump.
    By Asra Q. Nomani

A few excerpts from the article...

I am a single mother who can’t afford health insurance under Obamacare. The president’s mortgage-loan modification program, “HOPE NOW,” didn’t help me. Tuesday, I drove into Virginia from my hometown of Morgantown, W.Va., where I see rural America and ordinary Americans, like me, still struggling to make ends meet, after eight years of the Obama administration.

Finally, as a liberal Muslim who has experienced, first-hand, Islamic extremism in this world, I have been opposed to the decision by President Obama and the Democratic Party to tap dance around the “Islam” in Islamic State. Of course, Trump’s rhetoric has been far more than indelicate and folks can have policy differences with his recommendations, but, to me, it has been exaggerated and demonized by the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, their media channels, such as Al Jazeera, and their proxies in the West, in a convenient distraction from the issue that most worries me as a human being on this earth: extremist Islam of the kind that has spilled blood from the hallways of the Taj Mahal hotel in Mumbai to the dance floor of the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla.

The revelations of multimillion-dollar donations to the Clinton Foundation from Qatar and Saudi Arabia killed my support for Clinton. Yes, I want equal pay. No, I reject Trump’s “locker room” banter, the idea of a “wall” between the United States and Mexico and a plan to “ban” Muslims. But I trust the United States and don’t buy the political hyperbole — agenda-driven identity politics of its own — that demonized Trump and his supporters.

• @Qarar
    All your comments that you tend to support liberal causes but here you referencing something to support Trump. Where do you stand?
    In any case somebody who moves to W Virginia is going with local sentiment. It does not surprise me. It is easy to go with rising sun.

• @Shirazi1
    What Trump has sold to America is that he can restore what America used to be as economic powerhouse. It is laudable goal. He intends to do it by pulling Russia away from China. Make EU responsible for their own defense. This would isolate China thus making it possible to get a favorable economic deal from them. In this rearrangement, South Asia, Africa or South America don't count for much. How far and how fast this goes is anybody's guess.

• @parvez said in Against all odds:

@Qarar
    All your comments that you tend to support liberal causes but here you referencing something to support Trump. Where do you stand?
    In any case somebody who moves to W Virginia is going with local sentiment. It does not surprise me. It is easy to go with rising sun.

@Pervez

I personally voted for Hillary because I didn't believe that Trump was qualified to be president. His whole campaign had hidden messages of racism and bigotry, which is too much for my taste. His attitude toward women was equally deplorable.

In this thread, I'm trying to explain and analyze why he won. His economic message was powerful enough to win the support of significant blue-collar workers, who normally vote for the Democratic party.

I also agree with him on his stand on radical Islam. Obama and Clinton have taken a very lenient and casual approach towards home grown terrorism. If Americans don't nip the evil in the bud, America will soon witness the chaos like Europe.

• @Qarar Agreed with your analysis 100%. With trump in office, even nominal morality in decision making is out of window and why not, he is sitting on top of food chain. Being hard core business man, he would use all leverages in his favour. I would be surprised if he does not threaten Paki spineless and coward general to release Shakil Afridi or does not send Navy seals to rescue him.
    For sure, he would have to take several "u" turns but his next 8 years would be full of spectacular initiatives that might include flattening of pindi GHQ.

• @ghost-protocol
    In my reading of Trump, he does not care wee bit about Pakistan, Afghanistan or India. What makes you think he would spend a minute on your wish list.

• Donald Trump's views on ME and Trade are much more clear than Obama and Hillary Clinton. He didn't toe establishment's line during campaign let's see how he does as President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDEV3vo9TbY

• @parvez why do you underestimate rougeness of Pakistan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNDXAbtHpFo

• “What Trump has sold to America is that he can restore what America used to be as economic powerhouse. It is laudable goal. He intends to do it by pulling Russia away from China. Make EU responsible for their own defense. This would isolate China thus making it possible to get a favorable economic deal from them. In this rearrangement, South Asia, Africa or South America don't count for much. How far and how fast this goes is anybody's guess.”
    @Pervaiz
    Wishes are always big but they are penguins they can’t fly. Behind China’s capturing the world markets is a long story of struggle, cheap labor, powerful hackers, and people’s devotion towards that goal. While the West slept, China kept moving at toroise pace. This is a long and short story of 70 years. They might be having some ethnic divides but not that big as Americans. So that didn’t affect their progress anyway.
    Russsians have taken a leaf from China’s progress. Yes, they are ready to end “second cold war” if both Russia and USA sit on a table like SALT and talk about withdrawing their submarines, aircraft carriers, nuclear warhead missiles network and leave Mediterranean Sea, Persian Gulf, Arabian, China and Bering seas and remain restricted within their own bounds – there is a possibility. They can jointly form an International Policemen Force. There is no such word like “friends” in international relations. It is the mutual beneficial interests that make two or more countries closer to each other. As the interests die down so does the friendship.

• All these Democrats who are protesting in CA and NY should have voted for Bernie Sanders. Now bite the bullet and live with your "safe choice".

• The victory by Trump has made it possible for an extreme liberal candidate like Bernie Sanders to win in a general election.

Pundits are already putting forward Michelle Obama's name as a possible candidate. I think it would be a mistake to live in the past. Elizabeth Warren, senator from Massachusetts, may enter as well. I would personally like Gavin Newsom, the current Lt. Governor of California, to run should he first win the gubernatorial race in 2018.