No ethnic jokes please

• Upon reading the following, you may think that its worded rather naievly, but the jist of it is what matters.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=SV0905-3857

Ethnic jokes are not innocent humor. They carry the virus of bigotry most of the time. Think about how hurt we feel when some comedians depict Muslims as terrorist.

Consider this verse of the Quran: "O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed wrong doers" (Quran 49:11).

Such silly and hurtful jest clearly goes against the type of manners Allah and His Prophet expect from us. It's a sin in Islam to ridicule or laugh at any beings, and if they are a group, the sin is stronger.

7. Don't call people, Kalla, Gora, Desi, Chapta, Abd or Rafeeq

Muslims disliked being called Moslems, Moor, or Mohammaden. We insist that since we write our name Muslims that's how everyone should spell our name. So let's call other people with the names they like for themselves. Fair enough?

Alhamdu lillah most Muslims don't do this. But once in a while we hear names, which we need to challenge. The Urdu term "Kalla" is used by some for African-Americans. While it literally means "black", the way it is used most of the time is demeaning. The same is true for the Urdu term Chapta or Peela, which refers to the color, and features of South East Asian people. Gora in Urdu for Caucasians falls in the same category although it also just means a white person, but is used to convey historical distrust and betrayal of the white colonial lords. Desi on the other hand is mostly used to describe stereotypical images of South Asians "curry smelling" Indians and "pakis." It is often used as a term of self hate in the second generation.

Similarly some Arabs use the term Abd to describe black people, despite the fact the Prophet catogarically prohibited use of this term. Another term Zingy is used for the same people in the demeaning way. Some Arabs use the term Rafeeq (literally comrade) for Pakistanis in demeaning way similar to how the "N word" is used in the west. Ibn al Khinzeeer (son of a pig), a reference to whoever you are angry with amongst some Arabs and specially towards Jews is not only unworthy of the followers of Prophet Muhammad, it is a direct violation of his command not to insult one another's parents (Sahih of Bukhari and Muslim).

Even the Islamic term Kafir has to be use with care. Not every non-believer is a Kafir. This Quranic term, regarding those who rejected Allah's guidance after recognizing it to be the truth, should not become a term of hate.

8. Challenge the offensive, names, jokes and comments

If someone uses a hurtful name in our presence, we might simply say, "Don't call him/her that. Call him/her by his/her name." If you are the victim, simply say "That kind of joke offends me," or say "You don't like to be called bad names and neither do I".

We should feel comfortable in pointing out unfairness. It is very rewarding in the eyes of Allah, since by challenging this we are following three of Allah's commands:

Stand up against injustice

Discourage the evil

Don't call people with bad nicknames

It's part of a Muslim's duty to enjoin the good and forbid the evil. Let's do it with wisdom and patience. Be polite but firm.

• Agree with you Sister.

Its a very common practice in pakistanis.

I went to pakistan few years ago and while I attended some weddings, I noticed that people not onlt Stare at you as if they gonna eat you but also pass comments which are very Inappropriate.

This Incidence I will never be able to forget: It was a wedding in karachi and I went to buy some Asian dresses and outside a Posh Shop a guy commented some thing rude (thinking that I am a white person and won't know any Urdu)

I just went up to him and gave him the "look" and then said, "Kuttay kay Bacchey! May tyreee Maaa houn.. LOL It was in my american accent but he got the message! (I am so proud of myself)

So no to racism and racist jokes please!