14th August

• 14th August is right around the corner and most of you might be planning to involve yourselves in some sort of 14th August party in your suburb/work place/university. so, i just wanted to start a discussion on patriotism/nationalism with this quote.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

what do you think?

• In my opinion the word nationalism will sound more appropriate than the word patriotism. I disagree with the notion of nationalism, but in the current circustances, we are in need of nationalist tendencies and nationalism.

• "I disagree with the notion of nationalism, but in the current circustances, we are in need of nationalist tendencies and nationalism."

that's called compromise, another corner-stone of the secular doctrine. but we will leave it for another day.

do you think that nationalism is our best shot at unity?

• مشتری ہوشیار باش

پیشاور کی مرکزی جامعہ مسجد کے چیف اپورٹنگ آفیسر جناب مولانا ٹوپل زئی نے بقول انکو دی جانے والی بیشمار شہادتوں کی بنیاد پر فیصلہ کیا ہے کے آج بروز جعمرات حسب تیرا اگست کو پاکستان کا یوم آزادی پوری شان و شوقت سے منایا جائے گا، لہٰذا تمام افراد جو پشاور اور اسکے گرد نواح میں رہتے ہیں انکی اطلاع کے لئے عرض ہے کے آج پاکستان کا یوم آزادی یانی چودہ اگست ہے. احباب سے بھرپور انداز میں شرکت کی اپیل کی جاتی ہے

• جانے کب کون کسے مار دے کافر کہ کر

شہر کا شہر مسلمان ہوا پھرتا ہے

کیسا ملک ؟ کیسی قوم ؟ کیسی حب الوطنی ؟

کب تک جھوٹ بولتے اور برداشت کرتے رہو گے ؟

• People with "ugly face" should at least try to utter un-ugly words! ! ! !

• We Pakistani are very happy and celebrating independence after a break of one year with great zeal and patriotism. Last year could not do so as London based Goldsmith slaves did not allow us to do so and created mass in Pakistan.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

INDEPENDENCE DAY MUBARAK TO ALL PATRIOT PAKISTANI

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.

There is a difference between sense of belonging and declaring things better. When things belong to you it creates a bond and that bond itself should be enough. You don't need to strengthen it by declaring your belongings are the best. People have parents, siblings, wife, kids, friends etc they don't need to strengthen those bonds by declaring my parents, siblings, wife, kids, friends etc are the best. The time and effort you put in those relationships make them special. Some times people go out of the way to keep those relations intact but that's deemed negative.

Similarly to say my race, nation, religion etc is best is counter productive. One can can it's special for me because it belonged to me or I have been part of it for so long. But to say my race, religion or nation is the best is not only false, misleading but also counter productive. One needs to stand firm by his belongings but can't justify all their actions.

The blind trust on anything race, religion, nationality or family toss-out the rationality and objectivity.

In nutshell I agree with George Bernard Shah's statement that Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. and reckon this feeling as more sentimental than rational and somewhat counter productive.

• "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

@Shirazi

If that is what George Bernard Shaw said then he was utterly wrong. It sounds more like his personal conviction as to what Patriotism is.

Patriotism means, loyalty, nationalism or devotion. It does not mean that one is comparing his/her country with any other and claiming superiority. It simply means that one is loyal to one's country irrespective of its shortcomings, if any.

• @Anjaan bhai

Loyalty means you stand firm by your country whether they are right or wrong. That's where negative side of Patriotism pops-up.

• @Shirazi

You may talk about negativity or misplaced loyalty but it does not mean that one regards one's country superior to all other countries. It simply means that one is loyal despite shortcomings. At worst you can say it is naivety.

George got it wrong and I am surprised that you do not see the flaw in his statement.

• "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

• Imagine of world free of countries, races, religions, customs. Some stupid people are celebrating 14 aug. Such are the people who are enemy of unity of humanity. Every nationalist/patriot is enemy. This make people to wage war on other countries. If whole world is oneunit with one supereme rulers. Each continent is govern by same ruler. Then will come the true peace.

• h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heIl9My_RzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heIl9My_RzE

• افشاں – ڈيجيٹل آؤٹ ريچ ٹيم – يو ايس اسٹيٹ ڈيپارٹمينٹ

افشاں – ڈيجيٹل آؤٹ ريچ ٹيم – يو ايس اسٹيٹ ڈيپارٹمينٹ

digitaloutreach@state.gov

www.state.gov

https://twitter.com/USDOSDOT_Urdu

http://www.facebook.com/USDOTUrdu

• Afshan Ki TRIPE!!!