Gulf based corporations, why you need Pakistani land?

• Corporations have bought millions of acres of land in poor African countries, so to speak getting Pakistani agriculture land isn't first case of it's nature. Shall we be skeptical or shall we support corporate culture, as corporations want us to do. Personally I have no problem with foreign investment as well as it doesn't effect our daily life in a negative way. However corporations have a dodgy track record in many continents, for example some American corporations invested in water supply projects in South America, with that they bought the trade rights for all water including rain. As a result no one was allowed to collect water even in rain. People in that part of the World paid alomst third of their salaries in water bills, which forced them out on the streets, as a result those dodgy corporations decided to leave that part of South America. Mind you the government in that region was supporting corporations as our incumbents are enthusiastic about Saudi land lease schemes. Corporate agriculture may seem very impressive but it will make prices jump northwards under corporation orders. Pakistani people had enough of lousy deals by puppets running our country, I think it is time people to wake up and protest(verbally, in letter etc.) against land acquisition by gulf based corporations.

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

I have already protested against this. I'm posting threads on different forums to bring awareness against it.

• I think we should go just for our own muslim countries,to give land.

No westren countries or non-Muslims should be allowed such an act.

Arab/Gulf countries played a big role in our crises time always without any main Interests.

Free Oil,Employment to Pakistanis,Fundings,Hidden Fundings for our Neuclear Technologies,Hiden Defence fundings,Earth quick fundings and lots of more help we always sought.

Although many things are hidden out their.

I would STRONGLY condemned the land given out to other than muslim countries.......

Khurram, in this instance I don't agree with your assessment.

You are forgetting important facts in your effort to respect KSA.

• Arab countries did finance 80% of our atomic Technology financialy.

In 1998 after neuclear tests Arabs give you all the financial standing.

Westeren think tanks are agreed that ARABS are the culprits helping financially the muslim world theirfore we should go to hit ARABS specially SAUDI ARABIA.

We should go through the reports of westren think tanks.

thanx

I won't kill myself in order to respect KSA. In the same fashion, I won't accept my country to commit suicide for the same. There are other ways of respecting KSA, its contribution to our prosperity.

• May be you are aware that network og black Market is operating in Dubai.

We get every thing through Dubai Market.

Look these are off the record and only traces can be found in media.

SAMJHA KARO.

Pls update your Information.

We were 80% out sourced financed for our neuclear Establishment.

We have very deep relationships with Arabs beyond Imaginations.......Time to Chill...and Thank GOD..

So that means, we should sell our most valuable land to KSA, who's being controlled by USA or more importantly neocons?

It means, we should render hundreds of thousands of farmers of Pakistan jobless because they can't compete against an entity which controls not only 700,000 acres of valuable land, but ALSO will control WATER for its needs.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Are you out of your mind?

Can't you find OTHER more creative ways of 'respecting' KSA?

• As per information in media we are selling virgin land to ARABS.

We have more than 50% of land as virgin.

I think our farmers will earn handsome amounts when employed locally at that land.

Govt will observe some taxes and lease money also.

Yes rest of virgin lands may be distributed between poor farmers that is valid point but who will start this.??

You can call it what you will in your colourful use of words.

If that land goes out of our control, we move FASTER towards the bloody revolution (period)

• Pakistan has a total area of 79.61 million hectares, 27% of which are cultivated and 8% of which are in forests. There are 8.9 million hectares of uncultivated land and 24.4 million hectares not available for cultivation (MINFAL 1995). The ratio of cultivated land to population is 0.16 ha per person.

• It has been reported by the media that only 'surplus' produce will be exported to the Gulf Countries. If this is part of a contract/s, than where is the contract? Some other related facts about such corporate farmings should be made public.

• World is heading towrds next big conflict. This conflict won't be the conflict of idealogy or religion. This will be about controlling food resources. I recommend everybody to read:

'Algebra of Infinite Jstice'

By: Arundhati Roy

• Once during a travel the person sitting on my side started a chat. He said something that shocked me at that time, but made sense later on. He said that there is a limit to every thing, even "GHAIRAT". We should avoid over enthusiasm in every human emotion. (Then that gentleman explained why even being over in "GHAIRAT" is something that creates problems.)

Now coming back to the land given to "corporations"! Guarding jealously Pakistan's people, land, assets, property and interests is our responsibility, but we should not be too emotional to take everything with negative behaviour. Limits, rules and regulations should be there. We should not give our people, property and assets at every show of dollar, but if it is beneficial for us WHY NOT?

It was in news long back in Gulf, that KSA and other Arab countries where cultivalbe land is less, would acquire land in other parts of the world. If they have got it in Baluchistan, why we should object?

We (the agricultural economy) have failed to grow enough for our own people, so why should we not give the land to those who can get someting out of it?

• If they got a land which isn't cultivable or cultivable enough and plan to turn it into a cultivable land then why not. Water is an issue and I do not see any Govt. Whether PPP or PML(N) compromise interest of Pakistani people on this issue.

Let me throw in an idea in the discussion.

We allowed western countries to dig oil wells in our country. I'm generalizing search for energy in this sentence.

Compare that with KSA, who didn't allow them to do the same.

What's the result?

• Giving west a part of land is security risk.We must be carefull abt this.

Contract is going to be signed after a conbined official visites by Gulf diplomats.

I agree. It is a security risk in many ways.

However, I want to add here, that I forgot the topic again.

This topic is asking the Middle Eastern corporates why they are asking for Pakistani land. Its not asking for opinions from people in Pakistan.

what the heck

• I'm not in favour of this planned land grab by foreign nations.Corporate farming will put more pressure on small farmers driving them out of business.

Our government needs to devise an agricultural policy to benefit the common man.

• No small farmer is already targetting the local requirements and market. He is not competing in international market. Also, these countries want land for their own food requirements not solely for business.

At least this is what I understood from newspapers.