Gore Vidal, the writer, put his chips on Barack Obama last year.

• He wants them back..This particular article is for selective few on this site.

In an interview with the Times of London, the 83-year-old lion of literature calls the American "inexperienced'' in military matters and complains that he has "f----d up'' health care.

At least he's honest, though, Vidal says of Obama.

" I was hopeful,'' Vidal tells the Times. "He was the most intelligent person we've had in that position for a long time. But he's inexperienced. He has a total inability to understand military matters. He's acting as if Afghanistan is the magic talisman: solve that and you solve terrorism."

The United States should withdraw from Afghanistan, Vidal says.

""We've failed in every other aspect of our effort of conquering the Middle East or whatever you want to call it,'' he says, calling the war on terror "made up... The whole thing was PR, just like 'weapons of mass destruction'. It has wrecked the airline business, which my father founded in the 1930s. (His father founded TWA). He'd be cutting his wrists. Now when you fly you're both scared to death and bored to death, a most disagreeable combination....

"One thing I have hated all my life are liars, and I live in a nation of them,'' he says, retaining some optimism about Obama "because he doesn't lie.''

As for health-care reform, he says Obama "f----ed it up. I don't know how because the country wanted it. We'll never see it happen."

Vidal now believes, as he did originally, that Hillary Clinton would be the better president. "Hillary knows more about the world and what to do with the generals,'' he says in the interview. "History has proven when the girls get involved, they're good at it.

"The Republicans will win the next election, Vidal believes. "Remember the coup d'etat of 2000 when the Supreme Court fixed the selection, not election, of the stupidest man in the country, Mr Bush."

Vidal, author of two dozen novels, many screenplays and countless essays, also delivers a withering assessment of the American public and the nation's future.

The U.S., he says, is "rotting away at a funereal pace. We'll have a military dictatorship fairly soon, on the basis that nobody else can hold everything together.

"Obama would have been better off focusing on educating the American people. His problem is being over-educated. He doesn't realize how dim-witted and ignorant his audience is. Benjamin Franklin said that the system would fail because of the corruption of the people and that happened under Bush."

One of my favourite writers and thinker..Mr gore Vidal..

• Besides support from grass root level, capitalist corporations funded Obama's campaign heavily compared with Hillary's campaign.

Hillary had 8 years of Clinton legacy, which was good in terms of experience but bad in terms of repute among superdeligates.

Party ticket was alloted by the swing of superdeligates and that lot is highly political savvy.

So far nothing has come as expected, but they had their calculations, let us see how good they were.