Drone attacks continue

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

DAWN News: At least six killed in two separate drone attacks in North Waziristan

Friday, 01 Jan, 2010

MIRAMSHAH: Missiles from a US drone slammed into a car killing three militants Friday, the second such strike in two days in Pakistan's tribal region of North Waziristan, security officials said.

The northwest, rife with militant networks, has been the focus of a hail of bombings in the past month by US spy planes, as Washington targets militant groups it says Pakistan is struggling to tackle.

The morning attack by a drone aircraft struck a vehicle carrying suspected militants in Ghundikala village, 15 kilometres east of Miramshah, the main town of North Waziristan, close to the Afghan border.

“A US drone fired two missiles, targeting a vehicle and killing three militants,” a senior security official in the area told AFP.

“The identity of militants is not known yet. It is also not clear whether any high value target was present in the area when the attack took place.”

• JUB TUK YEAH ZARDARI BAGHAIRAT RAHEY GA TUB TUK TO YEAH DRONE ATTACKS BUND NAHEE HOE SAKTEY!

Also SHAME on KIYANI The so called Head of our Pak Army who is more of a POLITICIAN (HERE I AM USING THIS WORD AS SWEARING) then a army officer.

America will learn its lesson INSHALLAH very soon and history will forget Vietnam but will remember Afghanistan and FATA to demolish these bastards. INSHALLAH

• These drones are operated by CIA and has direct approval from President Obama, the number of drone attacks on Pakistan during Obama's first year is far more than the last 3 years of Bush regime.

Obama has delivered what he promised in election campaign. Remember Obama/Clinton were very open on their position on AF-PAK. Listen to his speeches to understand the plan.

Obama/Biden wanted to shift the war over to Pakistan, now a days when we hear american media we rarely hear Iraq but we hear Pakistan repeated through out the day in one context or the other.

At the end of the day a common listener gets the impression that there is no difference between Afghan or Pakistan.

Kayani/Zardari both are on board for this plan only junior/mid ranking officers are resisting.

• اہم طالبان کمانڈر حاجی عمر ڈرون حملے میں ہلاک

پاکستان کے قبائلی علاقوں میں ایک طالبان گروپ کے سربراہ حاجی عمر خان شمالی وزیرستان میں ایک امریکی ڈرون حملے میں ہلاک ہوگئے ہیں۔ حاجی عمر نیک محمد کے ہلاک کے بعد ان کے جانشین مقرر کیےگئے تھے۔

حاجی عمر کے قریبی رشتہ داروں نے بی بی سی سے بات کرتے ہوئے تصدیق کی کہ حاجی عمر گزشتہ شام شمالی وزیرستان کی تحصیل میرعلی کے علاقے موچی خیل میں ایک امریکی ڈرون حملے میں ہلاک ہوگئے ہیں۔ انہوں نے بتایا کہ ان کے گروپ کے ساتھیوں نے ان کی لاش ان کے آبائی گاؤں کالوشہ روانہ کردی ہے۔

پاکستان کے قبائلی علاقے شمالی وزیرستان میں گزشتہ شام ایک امریکی ڈرون حملے میں چار افراد افراد ہلاک اور دو زخمی ہو گئے تھے۔مقامی حکام نے بی بی سی کو بتایا تھا کہ اس حملے میں ایک مقامی شخص کریم خان کے حجرے کو نشانہ بنایا گیا تھا جس میں کریم خان کا ایک بیٹا اور ایک خاتون بھی ہلاک ہوگئی تھی۔

یاد رہے کہ دو ہزار پانچ میں حاجی عمر نے وانا میں حکومت کے ساتھ ایک امن معاہدہ کیا تھا لیکن وہ زیادہ دیر تک نہیں چل سکا۔انہوں نے پاکستانی سکیورٹی فورسز اور سرحد پار امریکیوں پر حملوں کا باقاعدہ اعلان کیا تب سے وہ حکومت کو مطلوب تھے۔

اڑتالیس سالہ حاجی عمر افغانستان میں طالبان دور سے پہلے افغان جہاد میں لڑ چکے تھے اور کئی بار زخمی بھی ہوئے تھے۔ افغانستان میں طالبان کے حکومت کے خاتمہ کے بعد وہ امریکہ کے خلاف جنگ میں طالبان کے ساتھ شامل ہوگئے اور افغان طالبان کے اھم رہنماؤں سے ان کے اچھے تعلقات تھے۔

خیال کیا جا رہا ہے کہ حاجی عمر ایک تجربہ کار جنگجوؤں کمانڈر تھے اوران کی ہلاک سے طالبان کی مزاحمتی تحریک کو کافی نقصان پہنچ سکتا ہے۔

پاکستان کی فوج پر حملوں کے حوالے سے حاجی عمر کا موقف تھا کہ امریکی کے اتحادیوں پر حملہ کرنا جائز ہے۔ حاجی عمر نے کچھ عرصہ قبل دعویٰ کیا تھا کہ پاکستان کے راستے نیٹو افواج کے لیے سپلائی لے جانے والے قافلوں پر حملوں کی ذمہ انہیں سونپی گئی تھی جسے ان کے گروپ نے نہایت کامیابی کے ساتھ ادا کیا تھا۔

http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/pakistan/2010/01/100101_haji_umar_dead.shtml

Religion based criticism edited. Use Faith and Religion Section for religious criticism

• Where is Army or Air Force why can't they defend the area and provide justice to Pakistani people?

Drones terrorize women & children of whole region, poor people live in constant terror due to 4-6 drones hovering over them all the time.

Where should these innocent people look for help?

Why Army Generals & Air Force Marshals have left these poor populations on the mercy of foreign killing machines?

What a cowardly policy of Pak Army/Air Force.

• An honest question:

-Should Pak Army/Air Force shoot down predator drones acting on their own. If they are capable to act on their own than why they have not acted accordingly?

-Civil Administration-is sold out and therefore not consenting for an 'Order to Defend' to the armed forces.

What is the real case?

• Mirza Sahib,

There are many ways to handle this, we don't have to wage a war to stop this.

For example Army could try to question the legitimacy through political sources and stir up debate in public on LEGITIMACY of these killing in Pakistan.

This discussion could generate a public backed pressure for Army/Air Force to act to take them down.

Uniting the people behind this atrocity is must, but we see govt dismissing these by using terms such as militants or foreigners.

This terrorism of drones is the main source of terrorism in Pakistan.

• Why does no one one care when foreign fighters linked to Taliban & AlQaeda are violating our sovereignty. Why hue and cry only on drone attacks violating our sovereignty. Are all the Uzbeks, Arabs, Chechens, Africans etc. on our land angels. Who gave them the right to come to Pakistan and what is their purpose for coming here. Is Pakistan some free for all place for them to come and do jihad. Why don't they do jihad in their own countries. Kya Pakistan in logon ki baap ki zameen hay, jisso dekho mun utha kar chala ata hay! Khassi foreign jihadi hamaray mulk ko tissue ki tarah use kar rahay hain, jab zaroorat pari to use kya aur ganda kya baghair parwa kay hum par kya asar parta hay. Israel nahin nazar ata in jihadion ko, ajatay hain doosray Muslim countries mein jihad karnay, hypocrites!

We have lost any moral justification for raising hue & cry against drone strikes. As long as our territory is used as a staging ground and supply base for the Taliban in Afghanistan, and fighters cross over into Afghanistan from our side, we will face retaliatory attacks. And these drone attacks are killing militants. They are benefiting us as these militants like Baitullah Mehsud are a virus for us, and a danger to the country.

We should have taken a stand for sovereignty a long time back when the foreign fighters were setting up there hideouts in our tribal areas. We wrongly tolerated them then, we wrongly have to tolerate drone attacks now.

• kq

'Why does no one one care when foreign fighters linked to Taliban & AlQaeda are violating our sovereignty.'

Because this thread is about 'Drone attacks continue'...

• semirza,

read the whole thing.

• @kq

No need to be annoyed. Al Qaeda hideouts are just not the only reason. It is also a show of might by violating air space of a soverign state.

@kq: You'r words and assertions are irrelevant. 90+ % of those getting killed through drone attacks are civilians.

• Feel badly let down by this government and military. if they is taliban on our side, that is our problem to deal with, if the yanks say these militants move back and forth over the border, well they is 2 sides to a border and they should secure they side.

• Stop they logistics then watch them change they tune.

• Pakistan should start using their own minds by not accepting briefs where they are informed so and so is Al Qaida.

Same like they were looking for WMDs in Iraq based on assumptions and false Intelligence.

First they themselves release them and let them infiltrate into Pakistan to create a pretext for a drone attack. A nice drama to keep Pakistan and Afghanistan suffering, all to what cost? Their presence in this area only!

• hariskhan,

how come you know 90% killed are civilians. It may have been during the time of Musharraf. But now if you read the news reports, its always some militants being killed in drone attacks or there hideout destroyed. The accuracy of drone attacks has increased greatly.

So you're saying if 100% militants are killed in drone attacks it would justify them for you.

Mirza sb. time and again we reach the same conclusion -> we need US to get out of this region.

The only entity practically running 'tehreek' for ouster of US from this region is JI. Although Imran Khan supports this viewpoint, I haven't seen any 'tehreek' from PTI in this direction. No other person or entity is doing it.

If Pakistani people don't like JI, that is fine. Why don't they start their own 'Go Amreeka Go' tehreek ? Our government is also not doing the same.

Where the heck! are we going ? What the heck! are we doing ?

@kq: I'm not here to engage in the game of semantic trickery with you. You can turn and twist my words to whatever end you want. You only delude yourself in this frivolous excersize.

I have said what I wanted to say. I standby my words.

• I think PTI has better credibility in comparison to JI - Old vs New. As the saying goes people are more willing for a change and would like PTI to come forth.

Anyway drones are a sheer violation of Pakistani airspace if we consider what Pakistani Foreign Office has been saying although people have lost all faith in PPP and do not trust the current Ruling Coalition at all.

I went to Mansoora for Juma prayers today. Munawwar Hassan gave Juma sermon as usual. Qazi sb. didn't attend. Perhaps he's out of city.

Qazi sb. attended last week. Although I shook hands with him after Juma, I couldn't bring myself to talk to him about 'weaknesses/improvements' at the time.

I will talk to JI leaders about 'weaknesses', 'improvements' as soon as I settle some of my personal affairs. Can't talk to them before that.