Top Scientific Breakthroughs of 2009

• In the coming years, gene therapy will be tested as a remedy for all sorts of inherited diseases, cancer, viral infections and even high cholesterol.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/discoveries-gallery/all/1

• SubhanAllah...Alhamdulilah!

• Astaghfirullah Nauzbillah :)))

• as much as we are advancing in medicine ...

diseases are getting advanced too.

now ppl wont die of TB and cancer .

but with flu and Dengue fever.

• We have come a long way.Those in their twenties will have a chance to live well over 100 years.

With stem cell research they will soon be growing vital organs heart,liver and kidneys in a lab.

• @Ziam,

but they will have chemically contaminated water and food.

and will die sooner than us ...

like we will die sooner as compare to our forefathers .

• I understand scientific advancement has increased life expectancy and we can expect our future generations will be living longer lives than us !

• @Beenai,

Pollution is the biggest hazard now but in next 20 years wind and solar energy will replace the pollutant sources of energy.

Life expectancy in industrialized nation is on the rise.I agree much work needs to be done in developing countries.Deforestation is a major concern.

I'm an optimist.

• I hope they make these tools/information open source for the humanity's benefit & contribution.

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

I was disappointed in 2009. I could have read much more than I did. I was expecting the Mastering series Books for Microsoft Windows Server 2008, which didn't come out, because the author didn't find it useful to write his book.

I was expecting the world to get better, rather than get worse.

• There are over 1 billion people today, who don't have food

• There are millions of people who don't have basic necessities of life

• millions of people in Iraq, Afghanistan lost basic necessities of life because of non-defensible wars

• Injustice worldwide is at far higher levels than it was in previous years

• Many innocent people were killed in non-defensible wars without any reason

• More people lost their jobs in 2009 than in the past 2 decades

• Governments still are not helping the poor, the common man

• Governments are still filled with ministers who are busy filling their own pockets at the expense of common man's suffering

No scientific advancement can remedy that. Advancement in medical science is more about money than good-consciounce.

Scientific advances;

• can't give justice to common man

• won't fill empty stomach of the poor

• becomes a topic for those who already have access to basic necessities of life

• today are comming about at the expense of good of the common man

• The most deprived people on this earth are Muslims. They are kept deprived by their leaders, especially by their religious leaders who tell them that this world is ‘qaidkhana’. They are not encouraged to excel in education, science, technology and exploration of universe.

Just look what achievements the world over are being made by non-Muslims while religious fanatics have diverted the thinking of Muslims in killings only.

Unfortunately, we try to satisfy ourselves of our pathetic condition by hiding behind the excuses that America and West is responsible for it. It will never be helpful to us.

• Actually Muslims are most successful minorities when it comes to US/Europe, why is it that they excel in education/science/engineering/medicine/research/etc in US/Europe?

Why Muslim countries are in miserable situation under the rule/leadership of seculars/atheists/tyrants/kings/etc?

• @Salam

"""Actually Muslims are most successful minorities when it comes to US/Europe, why is it that they excel in education/science/engineering/medicine/research/etc in US/Europe?"""

How many inventions/scientific discoveries have been made by muslims living in Europe or America ??

Can you please name a few muslim Nobel Laureate !!!

"""Why Muslim countries are in miserable situation under the rule/leadership of seculars/atheists/tyrants/kings/etc? """

What about Talibans' rule of Afghanistan from 1994 to 2001 ???

Was Afghanistan a prosperous country under Taliban ?

What about Iran, Saudi Arabia and Iraq ???

Did muslims live a very happy life under Khalifas ????

• Red Scorpion,

In your habit of rash response you overlooked the main idea of my post and in returned open up half a dozen irrelevant new threads.

Perhaps you do not know much about Muslim communities living in US/Europe.

• @Salam

"""In your habit of rash response you overlooked the main idea of my post and in returned open up half a dozen irrelevant new threads."""

What's the 'main idea' of your post, dude !!! :))

"""Perhaps you do not know much about Muslim communities living in US/Europe. ""

Yes, you are right, plzzzzz do let me know :)

BTW are you going to answer my questions ??

How many inventions/scientific discoveries have been made by muslims living in Europe or America ??

Can you please name a few muslim Nobel Laureate !!!

What about Talibans' rule of Afghanistan from 1994 to 2001 ???

Was Afghanistan a prosperous country under Taliban ?

What about Iran, Saudi Arabia and Iraq ???

Did muslims live a very happy life under Khalifas ????

• You have copy pasted something which is irrelevant to the idea expressed in my post.

I am trying to highlight Muslim community's success in US/Europe as highly professional people with highly advanced skills.

This idea was in response to adnak's general painting of Muslims as most deprived people on planet earth. So to make it more easy to digest for you, let me say that in other words -I am saying that when same people are in one region they are failure but when they are in another region they are a success as a community, why?

• Salam,

""I am trying to highlight Muslim community's success in US/Europe as highly professional people with highly advanced skills.""

I understand, muslims in US/Europe have so far only shown their advanced skills in terrorism, for example 9/11 and 07/07 !!!

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

@adnak: You are talking about 'lack of justice', but in the negative sense.

Your statement gives out the look of a 'propaganda' campaign rather than genuine worry about the people's interests.

@Red-Scorpion: You'r engaged in a conversation that is as worthless to you as it is to others. The only thing that is happening is, you'r enjoying it, missleading others is just a side-affect. It gives you a 'doze' of satisfaction, that you took another person 'for a ride', wasted theirs as well as your own time, doesn't it ? STOP! BS!'ing. Find something better to do with your life.

• @hariskhan

Your comments show your frustration as you don't have answers to my questions !

• Salam/JJ

Muslims are more successful minorities when it comes to US/Europe simply because they get a cover of environment which is secular. Furthermore, they get freedom from ‘forced mullas interference’ into their preference of working.

Muslim countries are in miserable situation due to ‘uncalled for’ interference of religion into the matters of the state. Muslim countries (like Malaysia, Turkey, UAE) which have been able to control mullas’ interference into the affairs of the country, are in much better shape.