Punjab signs agreement with Microsoft

• Assalam-o-Alaikum-Warahmat-ULLAH ALL,

DAWN News: Punjab signs agreement with Microsoft

Saturday, 30 Jan, 2010

LAHORE: A strategic partnership agreement was signed between the Punjab government and a computer software company, Microsoft, at the Chief Minister’s Secretariat here on Friday.

Under the agreement signed by additional chief secretary Javed Aslam and Microsoft head in Pakistan Kamal Ahmad, the company will extend all-out cooperation for training and development of the local IT industry in Punjab. It will also set up an innovation centre at the Software Technology Park.

Microsoft succeeds in taking over Pakistan's IT industry with its product portfolio, no other competitors in sight ?

• I don't know if the people have become capable to pay the license prices or not but i feel that now MS will be free to raid offices, business centers and prosecute them for using illegal copies of MS products.

If that happens, it means;

(1) cost of doing IT business will become non-feasible for most local IT software houses

(2) more! job losses ?

(3) Software Houses will move out of Punjab to other parts of Pakistan ?

That would be a major blunder! for Pakistan, its economy, its people.

• Zingaro,

Well said, and I believe this is THE reason that this pact has been signed!!

I'm optimistic. I worked in some software houses. I know at least one of them which bought licensed software. I think local traders can! buy licenses.

The real question is;

(1) Do local traders find this deal in their business's interest ?

(2) Will they spend money out of their pockets to get licenses ?

(3) Will local traders find it a 'profitable' use of their money to buy 'software', 'software' 'licenses' ?

• i have a legit copy of windows :D but still PIRACY RULEZ

• @ Haris,

"""If that happens, it means;

(1) cost of doing IT business will become non-feasible for most local IT software houses?"""

Yes chori (piracy) shaayad kum ho jaye. Maybe kuch log finally halaal ki kamayee khaana shuru ho jayein. How sad rite?

• i hope IT industry in whole of Pakistan starts booming.

good for Pakistan.

• We must wait how it develops in Pakistan, if microsoft make their profit in Pakistan, this should other software companies will intressted in Pakistan, which are corosponding with and which not with microsoft, i think the lose of jobs isn't big matter because first you must see how much is the IT industry hiring right now?

@sasherwani: Chori is irrelevant. There are credible! arguments on both sides of the fence with regard to 'chori'.

Remember the Hadees of Hazarat Umar (RA, RAA), who did not chop off the hand of a person who was caught stealing ? same applies to Pakistan. The laws of Muslims is not 'blind'. It watches, it adapts to the situation at hand.

The reason people of Pakistan, our young generation got educated / knows so much about IT technologies is because of this 'chori'.

If a Pakistani national (Atiq Raza, if I remember correctly) can create a company in US which rivals Intel Corp, the computer processor chip maker (even today under the name AMD), and later sell it for $800 million, Pakistani nationals can 'make' softwares on their own as well.

In-fact I already know of at least two softwares made by Pakistanis' in Lahore which are being used by US Govt. for getting 'constructive output', be it for 'rendering services' or 'conducting trade'.

The point more relevant is about businesses, businessmen, about jobs. There won't be any need for Microsoft's software, if there is no business, no jobs where that software is 'applied', where that knowledge is 'applied' to get 'constructive output' i.e., trade, services.

I would welcome the idea of paying off for Microsoft software, if and only if mass level injustice over trade is removed from within Pakistan.

People need justice in order develop and conduct trade for them to be able to pay off their bills.

Unless that happens, unfortunately, your sarcasm will remain out of place.

• @ Haris,

By chori, i was refering to 'piracy'. I believe installing pirated softwares is a chori. Yes it is done in Pakistan at such a HUGE scale, that it doesn't even sound like chori anymore.. but the fact is it is someone's intellectual property which he/she lends for a nominal fees. But we steal it instead as it is easier to get away stealing non-physical intellectual data as opposed to stealing physical property.

It is chori nomatter how you twist, wrap or sugar-coat it.

• computer literate Punjab.

@sasherwani: I will repeat, your point is still 'out of place'.

There is no place within Pakistan where the masses of Pakistanis' can conduct free, just trade.

I feel, unless justice is imparted to the masses, the situation will remain as it is, regardless of what Microsoft or Govt. of Pakistan does about it.

LAW of the land adapts to compensate the situation of the people in this instance. People would be adapting according to the law, if they were FREE of injustice of ALL kinds within Pakistan's borders.

I tend to go back to Star Trek, whenever I see 'justice' being the topic. I go there because I vividly remember the words I heard in that program;

(1) With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. - quoting Aaron Satie in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead"

(2) Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged [...] waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness. - 'Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead"

You cannot! get out of this chain unless injustice is quelled within our land, within our borders.

Reference:

(1) Program: Star Trek TNG

Season: 4, Episode: 21

Episode Title: The Drumhead

(2) Wikiquote: Jean-Luc Picard

• I am quite surprised after studying the responses of honorable members on this thread.

I find no one who paid attention to the nature of operations Microsoft is planning to establish in Pakistan nor anyone who commented on the nature of the agreement between Microsoft and Punjab Govt.

I also don't find anyone comparing nature of operations Microsoft has in India & China compared with what they plan for Pakistan -quite disappointed :(

@Salam: I am aloof of the 'nature of operations' Microsoft intends to establish in Pakistan, when compared with India or China.

I invite you to bring up relevant points, so we get aware of it/them, discuss them.

• @salam

Sorry Masterjee

I want to remind! ALL members, honourable or otherwise, that in Islam, laws adapt to situations that people encounter or go through.

In Islam, LAW of the land is NOT! 'blind', as it is in the west. The west or India promote the idea of 'blind' law/justice. Islam/Muslims believe otherwise.

This is one big advantage this DEEN gives in practice! to mankind over all other beliefs, culture, society, social, judicial, financial, political values.

@Salam: I gather, in your above statement, you are talking about the following;

Microsoft is;

(1) investing money in India, creating massive jobs, etc etc

(2) only here to collect money from Pakistanis' by selling licenses of its software

Is that what you want to say ?

• @ Haris,

BLAH!

Law of land, Star Trek, Kabaddi WTH?

Chori is chori nomatter how you rephrase or justify it!