“Countering Ethnocentrism in Karachi by creating New Coastal Province
makram-khan-niazi last edited by
“Countering Ethnocentrism in Karachi by creating Coastal Province and by using Separate Electoral System.”
Forecast of Quaid-e-Azam about Pakistan with reference to Provincialism,
( 28 March,1948,Dhaka)
“If we begin to think of ourselves as Bengalis, Punjabis, Sindhis etc. first and Muslims and Pakistanis only incidentally, then Pakistan is bound to disintegrate.”
Above forecast of Quaid-e-Azam was truly proved when in 1971 Pakistan disintegrated, and now still Pakistani nation is still going on same path.
Promotion of Provincialism and Ethnocentrism by President of Pakistan is highly deplorable, and is against the Constitution of Pakistan, in which it is the basic Policy principle of Constitution of Pakistan which directs to make efforts against provincialism but our president is trying to promote provincialism and ethnocentrism.
Investors of Ethnocentrism.
ANP, PPP and MQM are main beneficiaries and investors of ethnocentrism, provincialism and sectarianism and therefore Mr. Zardari is trying to divide Pakistani nation on such lines, and making statements such
• As people of other provinces are eating the resources of Balouchistan while infact those are Balouch Sardars who are mostly involved in making properties in other provinces, Jamali sons behaving like land mafia and are having properties in Sind, Mengal and Marri are having properties in Karachi, Moreover Mr. Zardari is himself involved in making properties in U.K. (Surrey Palace) and every where in Pakistan (from Marri to Guwadour)
• Punjab is taking the share of water of Sind while infact it the Sind Government which is wasting the River Indus water in land and in Arabian Sea. Due to which many parts of Sind are suffering from problem of water accumulation leading to stagnant water in lakes and creating swamp lands and rise in sea level.
• People of Sind will be converted to minority due to migration of Pukhtoons to Karachi, while infact if whole of NWFP population move to Sind even then it is simply impossible to convert people of Sind into minority as population of NWFP is 15 Million and that of Sind about 40 million.
Sind and Karachi.
Presently people of Karachi and Sind are also suffering from this disease and thousands of people have died due to this disease in only Karachi,
This disease makes people mad, blind and deaf ,This is the reason that although people of Karachi and Sind are most educated in Pakistan and know very well that their leaders are terrorist, killers and corrupted but even then they supports to terrorist, killers and corrupted leaders, and there is no value of life in city of Karachi and Sind.
As province of Sindh has totally failed in protecting life and property of people of different ethnic groups, So many people have died and murdered due to this disease of ethnocentrism but government of Sindh has taken no concrete measures to counter such murders and crimes, In the era of General Zia-ul-Haq when there used to be any information about any initiation of problem of law and order, Administration used to implement Curfew in the localities for prevention of further loss of life, but at present Provincial Sindh government (due to lust of power ) has totally failed in this regard.
Due to no commitment with any moral and ethical Ideology and due to disease of provincialism and ethnocentrism, criminals are committing their crimes freely and police Department is totally inefficient in protecting the life and property of people which is obvious from following examples.
Merciless killing and massacre in Karachi on 12 May 2008, in which police and provincial government were found helping the criminals, and officially no investigation was made by provincial government against such delirious crimes.
Loot and arson on 27 December 2008, on the day of death of Benazir Bhutto, free hand was given to criminals for each and every type of crime by provincial governments and police and Railway and transport of people of other provinces was main target of these criminals, and later on all cases against these criminals were removed by Chief Minister of Sind.
0n 27 December once again police of province failed event to protect the property of people and free hand was given to criminals in committing their crimes.
Target killing of citizens and youth belonging from different groups such as Pukhtoons, Punjabies, Sindhies, Balouch and Urdu speaking people, have become a common pratice, while provincial government has taken no step to counter these crimes, it looks as there is no value of life in front of Sindh government like that of Lalit Moodi government of state of Gujrat in India.
As mention above there is need to counter these crimes by changing the structure of the province and the difference in ethnicities could be used for stabilization of that region, the details of which are as follows.
Need of a new Province of Karachi.
• In scenario of uncontrollable region, it is required to create a new province with the name of “Karachi” including all coastal areas of Pakistan, from Theta to Guwadour, by this the all coastal areas will come under the control of a new geographical entity and it will be easy for that province to administer and manage that same geography in better way with the help of Pakistan Navy.
• By this all ports and coastal areas will come in the same province under one administration with its Head Quarter in Karachi.
• That New administration will improve chain of command and management of ports, coastal areas, fishery department in coastal regions.
• At present inclusion of coastal areas in Government of Sindh and Balouchistan government is very odd and unnatural, as usually Sindh Government officers have agricultural background and Capital of Balouchistan government is very remote and far away from coastal areas, therefore administration of coastal areas of Pakistan by a single administration in Karachi will be the best option.
• New Provincial Government will be more accountable with reference to law and order to federal government as compared to present ambiguous and complex structures of Provinces.
Name of New Province.
Name of New province should be as Karachi, Makran, Coastal Areas of Pakistan, or Muhajiran,Sahil-e-Muhajir as these coastal areas are mainly inhabitated by migrants from Africa, India, Interior Sindh, Interior Pakistan and is main location of migratory birds of Siberia.
By inclusion of all coastal areas in one province will make separation and cessation movements weaker in the country.
Separate Electoral System in New Province.
• Political Structure should be based on multiculturism and tolerance as these areas are inhabitated by many large and small ethnic groups there will be need to have separate electoral system in that province for Urdu speakers,Sindhi speakers, Pushtoo speakers,Punjabi speakers and Makrani speakers and there should be seates in provincial assembly as per their population.By separate electoral system ethnic conflicts will be minimized and wastage of votes of ethnic minorities will come to an end.
• At present small ethnic minorities are unable to represent themselves in assemblies as majority ethnic group such as MQM, does not allow them to reach in assemblies by using each and every means, due to which smaller ethnic groups are suffering from distress in city of Karachi.
Facilitating Migration of Quality peoples.
More over as at present ethnic groups are trying to increase their population in the city of Karachi, such as Sindh government forcing people of interior to migrate towards Karachi, MQM is trying to increase its vote bank by bringing Indian and Bangladeshi migrants in Karachi, in the same manner Pushtoon and Balouch speakers want to increase their population, In view of all this there is need to make some quality standards for people’s migration into this new province as Canada, Australia and USA has developed such standards for migration, so that new province could become a Model, developed and advanced province of Pakistan.
From above observations, suggestions and predictions, its quite clear that present ethnic conflicts and loss of life in Karachi could be minimized by Creation of a new province on coastal areas of Pakistan and by using separate electoral system for different ethnic and religious minorities in that province.
By this we will be able to counter those who are trying to divide Pakistan on the basis of ethoncenterism, provincialism and sectarianism.
M.AKRAM KHAN NIAZI